VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I already declined someone from Canada as well. Fees are part of it, but I also do not want all the additionl paperwork.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 22 of 124, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:

Sorry, I already declined someone from Canada as well. Fees are part of it, but I also do not want all the additionl paperwork.

The paper work isn't too much. You just declare what it is, why your shipping it and whats its worth. Its like one sheet that has to be filled out.
But I do agree. Its not like shipping within the US and can get tedious when you have alot of stuff going out.

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 24 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Delphius wrote:

Sent an e-mail and awaiting confirmation. Going to play around with DOSBox Distro live drive today.

Got your email, I plan to mail the next group tomorrow. I'll reply with a tracking number.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Reply 26 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By my count this is the status so far: 12/15 spoken for , only 4 mailed so far. Will mail next batch tomorrow.

1)cyclone3d
2)greasemonkey90s
3)luckybob
4)AlaricD
5)doogie
6)mr horse
7)Delphius
8 ) DTBDeeRock
9)BeginnerGuy
10)DragonCaesar
11)MrKsoft
12)tannerstev

Although doogie hasnt replied with a name/address yet and its been a few days.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

Reply 27 of 124, by Delphius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:
By my count this is the status so far: 12/15 spoken for , only 4 mailed so far. Will mail next batch tomorrow. […]
Show full quote

By my count this is the status so far: 12/15 spoken for , only 4 mailed so far. Will mail next batch tomorrow.

1)cyclone3d
2)greasemonkey90s
3)luckybob
4)AlaricD
5)doogie
6)mr horse
7)Delphius
8 ) DTBDeeRock
9)BeginnerGuy
10)DragonCaesar
11)MrKsoft
12)tannerstev

Although doogie hasnt replied with a name/address yet and its been a few days.

Really excited! How exactly do you want us to report back with information? Are you looking for information on just the thin client performance or on DOSBox Distro in general? Also will we have access to any modification of config files or SSH connection? Will you have a way to reload / update the firmware as things are evolving?

Reply 28 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No access to config, at least not intentionally. Although I’m hoping some of the Linux Savy people can test and see if you can get access to terminal. I was hoping all Dosbox config can be done real-time using config command. No way to reload / or update planned yet. I pulled the ide Dom chip out, used adapters and used Rufus to put the iso image on it. You could also just boot a flash drive. You can report here, email, or PM. I’m curious to see what people do with it, if it makes sense to someone with a dos background. I think I have a decent idea of dosbox performance based on Phil’s Dos Benchmarkimg suite. Just want to hear what others would tweak or what new features should be added.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

Reply 29 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPS tracking numbers sent out. 11/15 mailed, holding 1 in reserve a little while longer for doogie. 3 available left.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

Reply 30 of 124, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd be quite interested as I've loads of DosBox stuff loaded up on my primary PC to switch over and test with it as well. My Linux skills are very sadly lacking but this would be as good a reason to brush up as any right?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 31 of 124, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would love to try one out! I have some experience running TinyCore on a Pentium 3 system.

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 32 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ll PM you both later, I’ve done my best to lockdown and hide tinycore. I want it to appear to be DOS. When I do cheat and use Linux apps, DOSbox is acting like the UI.

Actually now that I thought about it, its definitely possible to modify the host OS. I'm more interested in preventing a user from doing it accidentally than preventing a user whose goal is to modify the system.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

Reply 33 of 124, by DTBDeeRock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the bootup is very cool. Boots straight in and does act as if it’s a dos computer. I currently have it plugged via DVI To HDMI adapter, and have the audio routed to my sound bar via 1/8” stereo audio jack. It all displayed and seemed to run just fine(cool little audio message at startup).

Now here’s where I’m running into some issues. I’d like to mount a USB drive with games. Must I know all the device paths in order to mount a drive? Because this boots straight to dosbox I don’t know how to access say a flash drive.

I love the way it’s setup and these machines are awesome especially for the size. Also the screensaver rocks.

Reply 34 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So tinycore will monitor for usb devices and automatically mount them. You must use the DOSBox mount command to allow DOSBox to see them. I made a batch file called mnthelp.bat which will show you all the devices which you can mount. It's likely the usb flash stick would be the last device in the list.

See even the questions you guys ask will be helpful in generating a DOSBox Distro FAQ

Also it's possible the ScreenSaver might conflict with some dos games, let me know if it's too much hassle to default to ON.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

Reply 35 of 124, by DTBDeeRock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very cool. I will try it out! Is the USB hot swappable in dosbox? I’d assume not.

Two more slight issues I noticed. Quake shareware seems to have some issues with the audio being slightly scratchy. It sounds like a sound buffer issue. Beats of Rage also had an issue, where the graphics glitched glitched made the edge of the screen in the middle instead.

Reply 36 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never tried the hotswap, dosbox wont update the filesystem unless you force a fresh with CNTL-F4 (i never do that actaully) or use the rescan command. Try it?

Update: Actually don’t hot swap, there is no mechanism for unmounting in tinycore short of rebooting or shutting down. Something to add for sure

I'll see if quake has any audio options in the config file. I've seen Beats of Rage do that if you just let the intro play for a long time, but if you start the game almost immediately I never saw an issue. I was thinking that might also be related to Screensaver.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

Reply 37 of 124, by DTBDeeRock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried a few more games last night. I was able to get Jazz Jackrabbit running perfectly after I bumped up the cpu cycles a few clicks. Indiana Jones and the last crusade needed a similar bump. I had a very weird sound issue with super solvers treasure mountain, that continued even after I exited the game.

Reply 38 of 124, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received the 10zig today. Unfortunately I'm sick so I only played with it for a little bit to amuse myself. I didn't browse through the filesystem or have a chance to try to "break" my way back into tiny core shell, though I would like to when I have a chance so I can download and install additional software, I do think "power users" of sorts should have easy access to the linux commandline while "basic" users should still be abstracted, that is a cool idea.

The only notes from my very short exposure were that the included Doom shareware (Zdoom?) would crash if I attempted to increase the music volume, but it suddenly started working. Not sure what that was about. Also none of the midi options would work, so I'm assuming timidity++ / etc were not installed on this system yet.

Also quake (glquake?) on the build included with this machine is defaulted to a widescreen resolution, I launched the game from the dbdmenu (or whatever it was called) script contained in startup.bat so I'm not able to pass any standard quake flags such as -width -height -bpp. Maybe that can be done within the games console or even in the menu, but my head is way too fuzzy to continue tonight.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 39 of 124, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also received the 10zig today. I plan on taking more of a deep dive with it over the weekend but I did try out Flappy Bird and Action Doom 2. Flappy Bird is a bit on the slow side, bumping up the cycles didn't seem to help. I have never played Action Doom 2 prior to today but one thing I noticed is if you hit F1 and then press Enter you get a missing credits texture.