VOGONS

Windows, Doom, Apogee OPL3 Synthesizer.

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 204, by DragonSlayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@datajake1999: Do you have a Linux version planned? Munt has a Linux version and since your project is based on Munt, I though it might not be too difficult to do a port to Linux. I'm sure there would be many people such as myself that would appreciate a way of running this great synth on Linux.

As most people here probably already know, Windows is chock full of spyware that funnels personal information back to Microsoft and the various 3 letter government agencies. It also has many other various insecurities/vulnerabilities and I've almost had enough of it. This is why I'm currently assessing what I would lose by switching to Linux exclusively and I would sure hate to lose this awesome synth.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Reply 182 of 204, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you are so anti-windows it's almost edgy

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 183 of 204, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schlang wrote:

you are so anti-windows it's almost edgy

Actually, much of the recent antagonism is due to the excessive "phone home" stuff in Windows 10 in particular. And that is understandable.

Speaking for myself, Linux is simply a personal preference. Many (if not most) people in this forum are tinkerers and Linux is quite a suitable OS for tinkerers. Windows and macOS, not so much.

Anyway, I'm grateful to the author for having released the source code for this, and I hope some C++ savvy Linux tinkerers will be willing to take a stab at porting this thing to Linux. 😀

Reply 184 of 204, by DragonSlayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@schlang: I'm not anti-Windows. I'm anti privacy invasion and I'm also anti corporate-assisted government spying. Both of which, Microsoft have been discovered to have been guilty of doing and are currently, at this very moment, guilty of doing. There is a huge difference.

Also as Digger kindly pointed out, Linux is extremely tweakable and puts you in control of your computer instead of the reverse scenario.

It may surprise you to know that I'm a relative newcomer to Linux. I did not come to Linux because I thought it was the best operating system to ever hit the scene (which it may well be). I came to Linux firstly because I was forced, kicking and screaming, from the Windows operating system which I've used and loved/hated almost since the day of its inception.

I am being forced to leave Windows, not for technical reasons, but because the Microsoft corporation has proven again and again and again that it can not be trusted with my private information. They will do anything for money including selling your private information to the highest bidder, whether that be another corporation or the U.S. government.

With Linux being open source and peer reviewed, it is nearly impossible to hide back-doors or other nefarious code without someone spotting it, reporting it, and more importantly, removing it. When you use Windows, you are using a black box that you have very little control over and have very little idea of its true inner workings.

Anyway, I'll just leave it at that. It is not my intention to hijack this thread with a battle of the operating systems. It was merely my intention to ascertain whether or not this most excellent OPL3 Synthesizer would ever have a snowball's chance of ever getting a much desired and much needed port to the Linux operating system.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Reply 185 of 204, by datajake1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am mainly a Windows user, but I have messed around with Ubuntu MATE a little bit.
Several parts of this project such as emulators and audio processing code don't require any Windows specific functions, so they should compile on Linux with little to no hassle.

Reply 186 of 204, by DragonSlayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@datajake1999: That's great news. At least it is within the realm of possibility then that we could someday see a Linux version of this great synth.

BTW, you may want to give Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop a try. It is the closest Linux version to being like Windows and it is very intuitive and easy to pick up on for someone coming from Windows. If you like to watch videos on your computer, the Cinnamon desktop is much better than the MATE desktop. I always had screen tearing issues when using MATE and could not find a good workable solution, but with Cinnamon, videos will play as perfectly as they do on Windows. Give it a try sometime and I think you will like it.

Here's to hoping that you can someday give the world a Linux port of this great synth and thank you for all that you have already done. I've already enjoyed many hours playing around with this synth on Windows and your hard work is much appreciated.

Reply 187 of 204, by ParkerDel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A Linux port of this synth would be awesome. I'd love to play around with it on Linux as well. If nothing else, just to get that Linux enthusiast fix from time to time, even though I'm still a big Linux newbie. haha

I love these probiotics that are good for IBS among other things.

Reply 188 of 204, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even better would be if someone could integrate this in the Sound Blaster 16 emulation code of QEMU and perhaps also VirtualBox. That would really help when running later DOS games on modern PCs and laptops, since some of them are too heavy to run in DOSBox. Under what license has the source code to this OPL3 emulator been released? Is it compatible with GPLv2? That would allow it to be submitted to those projects.

Reply 192 of 204, by datajake1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, that is correct. I resampled the 49716 HZ signal from Nuked OPL3 to 44100 HZ using high quality resampling, and added a low level of Gaussian noise to simulate analog hardware.

Reply 194 of 204, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I had opened an issue on datajake1999's OPL3EMU GitHub repository. I thought that I would ask here as well. I'm using Windows 10 2009 64-bit with VirtualMidiSynth and the Munt driver installed. Unfortunately, neither the Windows driver linked to in the opening post of this thread or the Windows driver in datajake1999's fork survives a reboot. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in helping me figure this out. Thank you very much.

Reply 195 of 204, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrDeeWilliams wrote on 2021-02-10, 19:55:

Unfortunately, neither the Windows driver linked to in the opening post of this thread or the Windows driver in datajake1999's fork survives a reboot. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in helping me figure this out. Thank you very much.

That because Microsoft has been removed the MIDI Mapper from the system, which requires every application to select the MIDI output device on their own. That needs a workaround, here I explained that: https://github.com/Wohlstand/libOPNMIDI/issue … mment-738996542, which is more related to my Windows drivers over libOPNMIDI/libADLMIDI, but the thing is the same.

Reply 196 of 204, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wohlstand wrote on 2021-03-14, 21:01:

That because Microsoft has been removed the MIDI Mapper from the system, which requires every application to select the MIDI output device on their own. That needs a workaround, here I explained that: https://github.com/Wohlstand/libOPNMIDI/issue … mment-738996542, which is more related to my Windows drivers over libOPNMIDI/libADLMIDI, but the thing is the same.

No, this problem has nothing to do with removed Midi mapper. Midi mapper has been removed from the very first RC release of Win 10 yet the above problem only manifested itself from version 2004 of Win10 (2020 December). The problem is that newest Win 10 versions remove drivers that are not 'properly installed' on every boot. So the way that worked for installing user mode drivers for ages does not work anymore.
More Info:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/880
Re: Munt issue with Windows 10

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 197 of 204, by Wohlstand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-03-15, 07:41:

The problem is that newest Win 10 versions remove drivers that are not 'properly installed' on every boot.

Windows 10 is the worst operating system in the universe, I never liked it because of built-in spyware and a ton of default startup daemons. Also because of such "features".

Probably I found something here https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/post/4777#post4777 in the discussion, anyway, I need some more details on how to fix this

Reply 198 of 204, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much for the responses! I didn't see them until a little while ago because I didn't get email notification of them. I don't know if this is something to note, but Microsoft is testing adding third-party drivers to a directory called OEMDRIVERS that's outside of the System32 directory.

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/03/31/microsoft-c … indows-10-soon/

Reply 199 of 204, by datajake1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently installed a Resound OPL3 sound card in an old PC that I got from my grandparents. It originally had a IDE hard drive that ran Windows 98, and I upgraded the drive to a 16 GB SD card in an SD to IDE adaptor. The machine now runs Windows 2000, and It seems that Win 2K doesn't have an official OPL3 driver, so I hacked together a hardware only OPL3 user mode driver that uses inpout32.dll. https://github.com/datajake1999/opl3hw_drv