How can I place an order?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 162 of 339, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would like to sign up for one as well. Your design finally does some justice to the capable YMF71x sound chip, compared to the budget PCBs that I have here.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 164 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no formal order page or anything, everything has been via e-mail and PMs. I can tell now that cost is going to be 95€ + shipping.
Eventually I'll look more into web side of things and attempt to make an order page (I very much hate web stuff 🤣).

New board has analog side routed, only digital side is left. I started over and I got a cleaner result with much more playroom for everything :

05WiP7.png
Filename
05WiP7.png
File size
227.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Main differences between previous board and this one are that there's RCA outputs, 4 layer board and a larger CPLD with what I can hopefully fix the 486 problem I have experienced. It'll sit as a middleman between ISA and YMF and passes only the right stuff. Hopefully that'll cure all my problems.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 165 of 339, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Tiido,

have you tried one of your cards with the game Dune?

All my OPL3-SA cards have an issue with Dune, as the FM music gets currupted, stuck notes and the like. I don't know if this is a specific issue with these cheap card designs, a specific YMF 71x issue or YMF289 OPL3 issue. I don't have a card with separate YMF289 so i can't test.

If your design does not have this issue i would like one card.

Reply 166 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have that game to test the card with (it isn't the type of game I would play). Corrupt sounds on FM indicate too high chip access speed normally. OPL3L in the YMF721 uses ISA wait state generation signal and in theory will exclude too fast access problem.
I'll have to look into sourcing the game in some way so that I can make some tests.

Reply 167 of 339, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is 95 Euros for the card with or without the OPL4?

Does the OPL4 do anything worthwhile? It just kind of seems like another run of the mill wavetable add-on to me. It would be a lot more useful if somehow the second OPL3 could be utilised for dual OPL2 support.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 168 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are no cards without YMF721 this time, I'm not using my stash for parts (which got exhausted with the prototypes).

The YMF721 gives you another OPL3L and an okish MIDI synth. One can still use the WB connector or external MIDI device(s) if desired aswell. The new CPLD may have enough resources left to try to create dual OPL2 setup compatibility, it is something I will attempt to do.

Reply 169 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Board routing is more or less completed now, time to make it all pretty and add in copper fills.

05WiP15.png
Filename
05WiP15.png
File size
283.57 KiB
Views
File license

Some feature creep happened and IDE connector is a bit more useful now (it can be either primary or secondary) and there's a boot ROM socket for something like XTIDE (I will not be populating it and configuration is all soldering based aswell, it isn't going to be a feature that gets much use). I have also reduced PCB under the gameport, I have one board that has socketed keyboard controller and the edge gets in the way on it (plus the brackets came out about 1mm lower than they should so it is a win-win).

Chinese new year is awfully close though...

Reply 170 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Board routing and checking is all completely done, aaaand I cannot get anything until Feb 12 due to the Chinese new year. At least I have time to work on the CPLD and make any changes to its pinout in case of some compilation inefficiency due to proximity issues of relevant signals.

Reply 171 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have discovered that the YMF721 chips my friend got me are duds, they have different chips inside them (and no clue what they actually are). I've notified my friend and we'll figure out how to proceed.
I also discovered that fundamental mode 33.8688MHz crystals still need 3.9Kohm bias resistor on the oscillator rather than 1Mohm with YMF71x.
This is how the board is like (without copper fills enabled) :

05done.png
Filename
05done.png
File size
354.75 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 172 of 339, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's strange, I wonder why your YMF721 chips don't work, remarked chips maybe?

The board looks great, I'm definitely interested in getting one when they're ready.

Reply 173 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They're definitely remarked but that is something I see all the time, mostly to refresh the date codes for whatever reason... but always the chips have been real stuff. But this time I have something useless, and they weren't exactly cheap either.

Reply 175 of 339, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did FM and digital music recordings from the T-04YBSC-A.

FM recordings:

Tyrian - One Mustn't Fall:
https://soundcloud.com/saxxonpike/tyrian-one-mustnt-fall

Xargon - Title:
https://soundcloud.com/saxxonpike/xargon-title

Digital recordings:

Epic Pinball - Android:
https://soundcloud.com/saxxonpike/epic-pinball-android

Epic Pinball - Jungle Pinball:
https://soundcloud.com/saxxonpike/epic-pinbal … ball-t-04ybsc-a

The clarity is marvelous. Can't wait to see what the 05 can do 😀 PM me if you have requests for recordings!

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 176 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thänk you for doing these ~

Fake parts problem isn't yet sorted out, but I have began to work on a solution that involves STM32 MCU that will be able to act as a synthesizer, I'm working on a small expermientation card where I can get comfy with ARM. Moreover due to these delays I actually cannot afford to start the new run since rent has eaten the funds and continues to do so. Few smaller side projects have to take over such as TB60XG. I am also in the process of moving and that delays things further, by end of March I should be settled in the new place and things would be returning toward normal again soon hopefully.