VOGONS

First post, by kmccmk9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

So I finally got my Audigy 2 ZS installed under Windows 98 SE. All of the system sounds come through just fine, CD Audio works fine as well. However, when trying to launch most games I do not get any audio. Most games don't produce an error just silence. However, any of the Humongous Entertainment games do produce this interesting error that prevents the game from running: "during the dma buffer size search the sound card wouldn't prepare our sound headers". I honestly have no idea what to do with that. I've tried googling and searching the forums but I can't find anything. I tried disabling hardware acceleration on my sound card and I've also tried enabling DMA on my CD-Drive. I'm at a loss...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 2 of 7, by kmccmk9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thank you. Long time lurker of information but now I have a "working" 98 rig, figured I'd join in the conversation. The games are not DOS games. Windows 95 and up...I also tried running them in DOS mode, but it errors and says it isn't compatible with DOS mode.

Reply 3 of 7, by kmccmk9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, if it helps I'm using a Asusp 5pe-vm motherboard. Now, interestingly, I have a hazard icon for the sound/multimedia device on the motherboard. Maybe if I install the motherboard sound drivers?

Reply 4 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normally, if more than one sound device is available (with installed drivers), then Windows selects some default option, and you can change it in the control menu. All applications will default to that sound device, unless they have their own configuration utility to control it. So it's very strange that all system sounds work, and all game sounds don't work.

Moreover, if you have a device but have not installed drivers for it, then it should simply be unusable to Windows, and should not cause glitches that you are experiencing; however, just in case:

1) Check the sound options in the control panel - verify that all the digital out, midi out, etc. is set correctly to the Audigy
2) Run DXDIAG and check that everything is OK there in the sound tab

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 7, by kmccmk9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1) Everything is set to use the Emu10Kx Mixer [E400] which I'm assuming is the Audigy card.
2)
DirectSound [Emu10Kx Wave Out [E400]]
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1102DEV_0004SUBSYS_20021102RE\
Manufacturer ID: 2
Product ID: 104
Type: VXD
Default Device: Yes

CTAUD9X.VXD
9/23/03
ctaud9x.vxd
Creative Technology, Ltd.

DirectX is set to full acceleration

No problems found

However, DIrectSound test failed at Step 10 (Secondary buffer): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)

Reply 6 of 7, by kmccmk9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting update, I tried uninstalling the hardware and software for my Audigy 2 ZS and reinstall using the CD available on vogonsdrivers. BIG MISTAKE. Nothing at all worked haha. So I removed the hardware and software and tried installing the drivers for my motherboard built-in sound. Similar to the other result I can hear the Windows startup chime (although it sounds terrible) and I can hear some sounds from some games (although terrible). Ironically Humongous Entertainment games still throw the same error. I ran DXDIAG sound test again and noticed it failed at Step 17 (out of memory). something very odd is happening and I have no clue what.