VOGONS

DOSBox Icon

Topic actions

Reply 121 of 333, by Guest

User metadata

Just a note regarding the icon with the letters "DOS" horizontally, and "BOX" vertically: I have a tendency to read the text printed vertically first, then the horizontal text - so I read it as "BOX DOS". If other people have this tendency, wouldn't it make more sense to place "DOS" vertically, and "BOX" horizontally?

Reply 123 of 333, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked through this thread quickly and also liked the cross idea with the words. I also remembered that the original Microsoft DOS icon had some intersting colors, to make it seem more user friendly, I think. However, I can't do any 3D, which is rather popular these days, so here's a very quick 2D attempt from me. I'm also very bad at colors, so suggestions for a new palette are appreciated. Oh, and the sharpness of the 16x16 variant needs improvement. I don't know, I guess I also wanted a really friendly looking, inviting icon. It's borderline silly, child toy assocations abound and such, I know.

Attachments

• dosbox.png
    Filename
    dosbox.png
    File size
    12.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 125 of 333, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice! Looks like I got some competition 😀

Competition is good. Maybe I'll try to improve my icon as well... and break my "this is *final*" promise 😁

Reply 126 of 333, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eobet wrote:

I looked through this thread quickly and also liked the cross idea with the words. I also remembered that the original Microsoft DOS icon had some intersting colors, to make it seem more user friendly, I think. However, I can't do any 3D, which is rather popular these days, so here's a very quick 2D attempt from me. I'm also very bad at colors, so suggestions for a new palette are appreciated. Oh, and the sharpness of the 16x16 variant needs improvement. I don't know, I guess I also wanted a really friendly looking, inviting icon. It's borderline silly, child toy assocations abound and such, I know.

@eobet: Yeah, I like it too, I think it's really cool. I was thinking on using the exact same colors 😜 though I was using the "pixelated-look" approach and trying to put the logo on one side of a stylized light-brown open box from which an "A:" was coming out or could be somehow seen inside (black background white font)... but never got it to look nice enough to post it... but yours looks great!... perhaps I’ll try to put your logo on the side of the box I just told you to see how it looks like.

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 127 of 333, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using eobet’s logo proposal, I'd suggest something on this tune, what do you think?
Edit: I must say, that I also really like eobet's original (it's clean and simple)

Attachments

• dosbox.png
    Filename
    dosbox.png
    File size
    68.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 128 of 333, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice work guys!..., but I'm not letting go that easily 😉

kekko wrote:

These icons are certainly well done. however I'd like something more 3d-ish 😁

Good idea.

Here is v6.0 of my icon... I think it looks a lot better now.
I haven't finished the 256x256 size letters yet, as soon as it's finished I'll also post in ICO format.

suggestions/comments/flames are always welcome 😁

Attachments

• dosboxicon6.0-128.png
    Filename
    dosboxicon6.0-128.png
    File size
    28 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dosboxicon6.0-48.png
    Filename
    dosboxicon6.0-48.png
    File size
    4.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dosboxicon6.0-32.png
    Filename
    dosboxicon6.0-32.png
    File size
    2.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dosboxicon6.0-16.png
    Filename
    dosboxicon6.0-16.png
    File size
    777 Bytes
    Views
    File license

Reply 129 of 333, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would be completely and utterly useless for any functional purpose whatsoever, but a spinning cube animation using eobet's letter style where each side of the cube was made of one of the letters of Dosbox would look really cool, at least for a couple of minutes anyhow.

Something more usable along the same lines might instead be to have the classic 3-d view of a cube (i.e. a box) that is made up similarly of the appropriately coloured letters DOS, like the attached picture.

Except done by someone with the requisite artistic skills, obviously.

Attachments

• dboxicon.png
    Filename
    dboxicon.png
    File size
    2.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Targaff on 2005-12-17, 00:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 130 of 333, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's using the original dosbox website image.

Attachments

• dosbox32x32.png
    Filename
    dosbox32x32.png
    File size
    1.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dosbox48x48.png
    Filename
    dosbox48x48.png
    File size
    2.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dosbox64x64.png
    Filename
    dosbox64x64.png
    File size
    3.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dosbox128x128.png
    Filename
    dosbox128x128.png
    File size
    7.49 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 133 of 333, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, people like different icons and I do not think there will be 100% agreement. I would take those from chaosfish which were discussed here for long time and let others available for download if anybody wants them.

Discussions of whether to switch horizontal/vertical or whether to place it in X shape instead of + seem pointless to me... People have different preferences...

Also I think that the icon should look at least a bit serious (not that deranged maniac from website!)...

Mirek

Reply 134 of 333, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We could include all of these icons or variatons of them into DosBox.....we then just have to decide on the default. If the user doesn't like it, it's just a simple matter of right-click, properties, change icon....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 135 of 333, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Split off the recent discussion into this thread: Fall of the DOS Era

Sorry, but it's a really interesting topic that I thought deserved its own thread 😀

Reply 136 of 333, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally, here it is!
DOSBox Icon v6.1.

I made many little improvements over 6.0, so just look them up 😀

Zip file contains:
* Windows Icon - With full Windows Vista compatibility - contains sizes 256x256, 128x128, 96x96, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, and 16x16. 120kb.
* Windows Icon - With minimal Windows Vista compatibility - contains sizes 256x256, 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16. 88.7kb.
* Windows Icon - With no Windows Vista compatibility - contains sizes 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16. 7.23kb.
* Mac OS Icon - Contains sizes 256x256, 128x128, 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16.
* PNG files - All sizes.
* XPM files -All sizes.

[edit 25/12/2005] fixed a tiny problem with the border brightness on some sizes

Attachments

• Filename
    DOSBoxIcon-v6.1.zip
    File size
    479.03 KiB
    Downloads
    400 downloads
    File license
  • dosboxicon-v6-presenting.png
    Filename
    dosboxicon-v6-presenting.png
    File size
    124.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 137 of 333, by covox_account_sans.ttf

User metadata

Hi guys. Some people mentioned using the Z:\> prompt to avoid confusion with the regular CMD.EXE icon. For those curious as to how it'd turn out, it might look something like this...
Untouched Master Image (SVG)
Untouched Master Image (PNG)

dosbox32.png dosbox64.png dosbox128.png dosbox256.png

Criticism welcome.

Reply 138 of 333, by Guest

User metadata

Nice! I like it! If you really want a classic DOS look, how about making the surrounding monitor beige, like all those old ones?

I certainly think a monitor with the Z:\> prompt would make a good DOSBox icon.

Either that, or the simple white Z: on a black background of the website's icon.

Reply 139 of 333, by covox_account_sans.ttf

User metadata

Thanks :) I thought about doing a beige screen, but somehow this got shelved for the pictureframey look. It seemed win-win at the time because it's either a portrait of the Z:\> (which oozes nostalgia and I'd certainly buy), or a TV/monitor back when everything was wood-panelled (which feels like the Golden Age of Computing). Maybe when I get some time I'll try and iconify the sunbleached-beige monitor look.

In retrospect it's deeply symbolic, as wood happens to be the primary composition material of your actual box. Actually if you look at it in the correct way it sort of looks like an thin empty box from the top down with a Z:\> painted on the inner base. If you squint. In the dark. After a few VBs.