Topic actions

Reply 1781 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Choum wrote:

Hello,
Do you have any plan to add the pixel perfect scaling patch in dosbox-x ?

+1, would be great to have. I work on a high resolution retina display, and mostly I have to run windowed and 2x scale. I would like to run fullscreen and with pixel perfect.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1782 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Choum wrote:

Hello,
Do you have any plan to add the pixel perfect scaling patch in dosbox-x ?

I thought I already added that, with the "High DPI" option in SDL1 builds on Mac OS X.

Although on my Macbook, you'll also have to adjust the GUI scale so the logical pixels are exactly 2x the actual pixels.

Apparently on a 13" Macbook the scale is not exactly 200%

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1783 of 2397, by Lemur21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a quick question ....

Does this version of DosBox offer printer support? I have an old set of games (simulation sports games) and - of course - the information those games generate would be great to print out!

Reply 1784 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lemur21 wrote:

I have a quick question ....

Does this version of DosBox offer printer support? I have an old set of games (simulation sports games) and - of course - the information those games generate would be great to print out!

DOSBox-X did incorporate printer emulation from Daum, yes.

src/hardware/parport/printer.cpp

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1785 of 2397, by Choum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a problem with keyboard layout ?
My Windows use French (azerty layout)
dosbox-x seems to correctly detect/set it

But the keyboard do not act like an azerty one exept if I set my Windows keyboard to US keyboard, then the keyboard in dosbox-x act like a french one.

I try on the X86 Windows version (SDL1)

Reply 1786 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Choum wrote:
Is there a problem with keyboard layout ? My Windows use French (azerty layout) dosbox-x seems to correctly detect/set it […]
Show full quote

Is there a problem with keyboard layout ?
My Windows use French (azerty layout)
dosbox-x seems to correctly detect/set it

But the keyboard do not act like an azerty one exept if I set my Windows keyboard to US keyboard, then the keyboard in dosbox-x act like a french one.

I try on the X86 Windows version (SDL1)

SDL1 might do better, but there's only explicit support in SDL1 and DOSBox-X for a few layouts.

It may be trivial to modify the in-tree SDL1 library to recognize and handle your AZERTY layout properly.

Reply 1788 of 2397, by Timbi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the two latest updates, Installing Windows 95 and then IE 4.0.1 SP2 correction crashes during Multimedia Player installation (with 0.82.14 it worked completely fine). I guess it is a critical issue for the stability which seemed to be one of the general DOSBOX-X principles, yet my previous comment about this was ignored 😒
Unless Windows 95 support doesn't matter anymore then Sorry.

Reply 1789 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Timbi wrote:

With the two latest updates, Installing Windows 95 and then IE 4.0.1 SP2 correction crashes during Multimedia Player installation (with 0.82.14 it worked completely fine). I guess it is a critical issue for the stability which seemed to be one of the general DOSBOX-X principles, yet my previous comment about this was ignored 😒

You would be better served using W98SE. W95 is buggy compared to 98

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1790 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Timbi wrote:

No that's something to be concerned about.

Does it matter what core you are using or what cputype is selected?

Reply 1791 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote:
Timbi wrote:

You would be better served using W98SE. W95 is buggy compared to 98

However Win95 has less overhead, and it can run reasonably well under DOSBox SVN and DOSBox-X.

Win95 OSR2 has some weird quirks of it's own.

Reply 1792 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Timbi wrote:

Is this Windows 95, or Windows 95 OSR2?

Windows 95 OSR2 is a bit weirder to emulate for than the original Windows 95.

Reply 1793 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using the Windows release, the one I compile with VS2017?

This interesting bit of information just came up that might be related: Spectre mitigation techniques in VS2017.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1107548233968943104

I didn't change anything in the CPU normal core recently, though I will try to confirm here on Linux whether the same crash happens.

One way to check if this is the case is to see if the MinGW builds fail in the same way. MinGW does not yet apply Spectre mitigation techniques.

Reply 1794 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally, there are small programming experiments in the experiments/ directory of the source tree.

These are experiments in various libraries and OS functions that may or may not become new code in the future of DOSBox-X.

A README is provided in each experiment's directory to explain what it's about.

Comments are welcome, in case I missed anything important.

Reply 1795 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here goes testing.

Windows 95 original OEM release.
cputype=pentium
cycles=40000
core=normal

guest os_000.png
Filename
guest os_000.png
File size
10.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1796 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No crash here.

Are you using core=dynamic or core=auto?

EDIT: After reboot, a sudden crash with an FPU overflow.

EDIT: You know what DOSBox SVN and the borrowed x86 FPU code have that DOSBox-X doesn't have? Code to E_Exit() when the FPU stack overflows.

EDIT: Commenting out C_FPU_X86 from config.h and running the startup again seems to resolve the crash.... so far. DOSBox-X bombing out from the x86 FPU core seems to have caused MSIE 4 to fail to create root certificates so it prompts me to confirm installation of each part. But it worked.

guest os_001.png
Filename
guest os_001.png
File size
23.28 KiB
Views
File license
guest os_002.png
Filename
guest os_002.png
File size
12.45 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1797 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm the problem is in src/fpu/fpu_instructions_x86.h

Quick fix:

Locate FPU_PREP_PUSH and FPU_PREP_POP and comment out the line in each one that calls E_Exit() if the FPU stack overflows or underflows. Then you can run Windows Media Player.

Reply 1798 of 2397, by Timbi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks alot !

Sorry I was offline when some basics infos were needed, it is Windows 95 OSR2 and the crash was occurring in every combination, playing with cpu types/core. I was planning to do more tests about it. Yet everything was done so quickly 😀 It is nice to see it resolved though.

Reply 1799 of 2397, by Morten79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks alot Codeholio for making DOSBox-x. After using 0.82.4 for long time I decided too try the newest version. I then discovered that the Drive option was missing from the menu bar. Actually it's been missing since 0.82.7 2018-06-01 13:05.
Why did you removed that feature? I use it for one game that's on six CD images. I hope it's a minor bug that you're willing too fix soon. I've tested both the 32 and the 64-bit Windows versions. In the meantime I'll just use 0.82.6 😀
I'm using Windows 10 64-bit.