VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This morning I was messing around with the Lords of the Realms Collection discs. I knew there was a windows CD version that added an intro FMV, voices, a Germany map, improved multiplayer etc. However I found there is a LORDSDDR.EXE file that is a DOS version. When it starts it asks you which drive the CD is in, and after telling it you get an intro cinematic and the game starts. However there is no sound during any of this.

I suspect it needs a properly setup LORDS.INF file, as this is the options file the floppy version uses.

I tried bringing over the floppy version, but I get 2 beeps from the pc speaker and after a short pause the game continues and still has no sound. I also tried renaming the windows SIERRA.INF file to LORDS.INF, but got the same two error beeps. Removing the LORDS>INF file completely just causes the game to quickly ask for the cd drive and continue with no sound (the same result as if you leave the included LORDS.INF file in the folder.

It is also worth mentioing that the windows install created the LORDS.INF at the time of install. This file does not exist anywhere on the disk.

I figured I'd see if anyone had gotten this working in DOS before, and if not, if anyone had any ideas. Thanks.

Reply 3 of 5, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately this installer does not work with this version of the CD. It was the explicit DOS cd, not the later release I was talking about above, which does have a DOS executable on it, but no setup files.

Reply 5 of 5, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In advance - i'm surprised someone else too plays LotR

I can't see any difference from the "94 CD release" to the floppies further it's only the english version, the "few" extra MB's are the PDF's.

Did you played it in the past?
It's i would say a somewhat boring game typical for a roundbased strategy game.
It's a little to easy and the PC-DOS version is even slightly easier as the Amiga version especially at start.

maintainer of "Phoenix" (Pioneer Space Sim derivate)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/phoenix … erivate.506984/