VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I just recently picked up a Roland RA-50 and would like to hook it up to my PC for usage with dosbox. I am using Dosbox-X and have properly configured to have dosbox output midi to the RA-50, but of course there is the issue of stuck notes due to the RA-50 not understanding the "all notes off" command.

I want to use softmpu's /ra50 support within dosbox to fix that, but I can't get it to load properly. As far as I know, I have ems enabled, but softmpu says "Error: Emm386 4.46+ or QEMM 7.03+ not detected", so I assume softmpu is looking for something more legit?

Is there another way to do this? Does softmpu-like behaviour exist within dosbox, thus not needing softmpu and working with all games even with ems support?

Also, is there any practical difference between the RA-50 and MT-32 for gaming? Do they both understand custom configurations/sounds, sysex and all that? Of course the custom MT-32 text won't likely show up on the RA-50 display.. but anything other than that or sound differences?

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 2, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interestingly softMPU borrowed dosboxes intelligent midi mode code...but probably doesn't work in dosbox as it uses specific port trap functionality provided by emm386 that dosbox doesn't emulate. Just a guess. You might need to build a real dos box.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 2 of 2, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info! Makes sense.. I guess "HardMPU" would need to be ported 😜 I have a real dos box with an mt-32, was hoping to use this ra-50 with dosbox. I guess I could try PCem.. or if I load up emm386 in dosbox then perhaps it would work.