VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 136, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was talk on the forum a couple of years ago of setting up an IRC server but I don't remember if anything came of it.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 61 of 136, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I'm available if you want, that's all.

And... for the glorious Ultima Online server reloaded? Is there anyone who is interested? I'm just trying to learn the right way to implement this on my server. I can still remember... in the 90s, I was so charmed while I was reading Chronicles of Britannia in my favourite videogames magazine...

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 62 of 136, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IRC. Lovely golden years.. I was an Administrator on several famous local/global IRC servers for long time during 90's.
If that great community needs an IRC place, well for either technical-chit-chat or laiding-back, rest&chat purposes (well, if you got time for that tho 😜) I'd love to setup an IRC server on my own, for Vogons community, in case of any need. (Let it be: irc.vogons.org or something). 😊
Let me know!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-23, 05:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 63 of 136, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would definitely join an IRC channel. I use my Toshiba Libretto 110CT to idle in a few different channels when I'm at my desk at work. I've been pretty active on IRC from 1998-present. It's always great to be able to instantly chat, send files back and forth, and do it directly from any OS from DOS to Windows 10 or Linux/Mac without a hassle.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 64 of 136, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so what is stopping us from having a VOGONS IRC channel? Kinda makes sense given the zeitgeist on these forums.

In addition, can anyone recommend IRC channels out there for classic/vintage computing and retro PCs? I don't really know where to start in that realm.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-23, 05:37. Edited 2 times in total.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 65 of 136, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about IRC, but Discord seems to be the most active chat platform for retro hobbyists. There are many nice servers, including:

https://discord.gg/8KRxWWb
https://discord.gg/jjmpgPc
https://discord.gg/vbNd9mm
https://discord.gg/xHbbgYS

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 68 of 136, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, could anyone recommend a good IRC client? I am trying ChatZilla but it is rather slow. mIRC requires registration.

Reply 69 of 136, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Hmm, could anyone recommend a good IRC client? I am trying ChatZilla but it is rather slow. mIRC requires registration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_I … ay_Chat_clients

Reply 70 of 136, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Ah, I should have been much more specific! Sorry.

I’m looking for a good client for Windows 95 and 98.

So far I have found an old version of mIRC that does not require registration, and I can connect, but servers complain about security holes.

Reply 72 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

#dosbox on freenode works fine. Usually 50-70 of us in there.

Wow! I will be there tonight to see how it is.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 73 of 136, by junglemontana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
Ah, I should have been much more specific! Sorry. […]
Show full quote
WolverineDK wrote:

Ah, I should have been much more specific! Sorry.

I’m looking for a good client for Windows 95 and 98.

So far I have found an old version of mIRC that does not require registration, and I can connect, but servers complain about security holes.

There's an operating system compatibility table in that article. IRCjr might be worth trying if you want a lightweight client for very old systems. Irssi might work too (according to that article) but you may have to find an older version of Cygwin to run it.

Reply 74 of 136, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

Discord? Is that what you kids are using these days?

Yep.

It addresses all the usability and quality-of-life issues inherent in IRC's design. The trade-off is of course that the client is new-world, and heavier.

The biggest points are that you can use the same identity simultaneously at many endpoints, and that the server is stateful, so you don't "lose" messages if you log out or are disconnected.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 75 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Discord? Shouldn't we use something that can be used in a retro machine? Like IRC?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 76 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
bfcastello wrote:

Discord? Shouldn't we use something that can be used in a retro machine? Like IRC?

Why? Most people are comfortable with modern technology 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 77 of 136, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ideal thing would be to have a Discord or Slack client for old systems, but that’s unlikely to happen. Of course IRC is not the ideal chat platform...

I use Slack for all of my modern activities and actual work / collaboration with other people. But for my retro computer hobby it’s nice to increase the functionality of these machines as much as you can!

Reply 78 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Why? Most people are comfortable with modern technology 😉

Because it would be fun 😁 hehehe

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 79 of 136, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK slack and discord aren't open source. IRC is and it can run on anything and it just works.

Sorry it's not bloated or proprietary enough for you.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline