VOGONS

First post, by Johnny998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently playing Hitman Contracts with dgVoodoo and I've noticed a line (kind of flickering a bit) on the left side of my monitor. Is there any way to get rid of that? I remember it happening in some games (Oblivion, Kingdoms Of Amalur Reckoning, The Witcher 2) when anti-aliasing was on, but I haven't enabled it for Hitman Contracts. Edit: screenshot of the line. It moves upwards/downwards and as small as it looks, it is visible easily when playing the game.

Attachments

• hitman_screenshot.png
    Filename
    hitman_screenshot.png
    File size
    1.92 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 15, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Create a local config file using dgVoodooCpl for the game, then edit dgVoodoo.conf in a text editor, find "DeframerSize" and increase it.

It should only happen if resolution is forced or antialiasing is enabled though.

Reply 2 of 15, by Johnny998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Create a local config file using dgVoodooCpl for the game, then edit dgVoodoo.conf in a text editor, find "DeframerSize" and increase it.

It should only happen if resolution is forced or antialiasing is enabled though.

I've stopped forcing resolution from the dgVoodoo panel and also set the thickness of the deframer anywhere between 1 - 16, it's still there...

Reply 6 of 15, by Johnny998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

And the flickering line is at the edge of the screen or at the edge of the black frame?

Geez sorry I must be blind. They are not there (the black pixels), I only thought they were there because of a thin black stripe but it doesn't increase/decrease, definitely NOT by 16 pixels. Also the flickering line is at the edge of the black frame.

Reply 7 of 15, by Johnny998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

If you set the DeframerSize to 16, then there should be 16 black pixels along all the edges. Is there? Because I suspect there's a problem with reading the config file.

So it looks like you are right and there is a problem with reading the configuration file.

Reply 9 of 15, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It may sound like overkill, but you could use Reshade and write a shader that draws a black line on the edge. I used that when I played Machines, but for me the line was on top. Since I didn't know how to add new shaders to the program, I changed the existing Sepia.fx shader file, the changes to TintPass function would be something like this for you:

float3 TintPass(float4 vois : SV_Position, float2 texcoord : TexCoord) : SV_Target
{
float3 col = tex2D(ReShade::BackBuffer, texcoord).rgb;

//turn pixels black
if(texcoord.x<1.0/1920.0)
{
col.x = 0;
col.y = 0;
col.z = 0;
return col;
}

return col;
}

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 12 of 15, by Johnny998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

If you want help, don't say "thanks for nothing", don't ignore someone who's trying to help you (antrad) and don't bump your topic without good reason.

Nevermind, I made an error thinking dgVoodoo is going to be useful for this game.

Reply 13 of 15, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So since I was curious, I tested this. Hitman Contracts have those lines, but it's not a fault of dgVoodoo; the lines are there when rendering natively.

dgVoodoo's deframer still works though, but you need to force some other resolution in dgVoodoo, and if you have a high/mid resolution display you really should, it has terrible UI scaling:

HitmanContracts 2019-04-13 13-22-15-99.jpg
Filename
File size
489.57 KiB
Views
File license
HitmanContracts 2019-04-13 13-20-17-91.jpg
Filename
File size
512.52 KiB
Views
File license

If you're at a 1080p monitor you might just want to do 2x resolution force though. And if you don't have the hardware for that, antrad's solution is probably better. No need to mess with any custom shaders though, as ReShade has a border shader built-in that will work just fine.

Reply 14 of 15, by Johnny998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
So since I was curious, I tested this. Hitman Contracts have those lines, but it's not a fault of dgVoodoo; the lines are there […]
Show full quote

So since I was curious, I tested this. Hitman Contracts have those lines, but it's not a fault of dgVoodoo; the lines are there when rendering natively.

dgVoodoo's deframer still works though, but you need to force some other resolution in dgVoodoo, and if you have a high/mid resolution display you really should, it has terrible UI scaling:

If you're at a 1080p monitor you might just want to do 2x resolution force though. And if you don't have the hardware for that, antrad's solution is probably better. No need to mess with any custom shaders though, as ReShade has a border shader built-in that will work just fine.

It doesn't work. I tried forcing resolution through dgVoodoo and the deframer covers NOTHING.

Reply 15 of 15, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought you gave up?

At any rate, try deleting the config file and recreating it (to make sure a version mismatch isn't messing up parsing) and ONLY edit dgVoodoo.conf (don't use dgVoodooCpl) and try to set "Resolution = 2x" under [DirectX] and "DeframerSize = 16" under [GeneralExt].

Also check for the watermark, to make sure dgVoodoo is actually loaded.