VOGONS

First post, by Slay4r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Sorry to dig up such an old thread: Anyone got these DOS games working in Windows XP?
but i found no info or help elsewhere....

First, i have to clarify that i did succeeded to run Network Q RAC Rally (Europress) floppy version on DOSBox. I tried various configs and the best i could found is with core=dynamic, cputype=486_slow, cycles=9000.
It's a very difficult game to run through DOSBox, imho, because if we increase cycles it runs too fast, but if we decrease cycles it looks choppy (can't render those textures and loose smoothness).
Does anyone here succeeded in running this game smooth on DOSBox? If so, can you share your config file?

Reply 2 of 4, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it can be tricky; make it fast and you can breeze through every track by wallriding, and all the opposition cars retire (lol). Make it too slow and it's choppy. There's some keys in the game to increase draw depth too I think, something like F12 or Ctrl & +, I forget. I'll be looking at it when I get to it on my Every PC Rally Game YouTube playlist (which just needs starting ha!).

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 4, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked the manual, you can use +/- on keyboard to increase road draw distance, and +/- on the keypad to increase sprite draw distance.

But it's still likely to run at either a crazy frame rate or a jerky one. The bigger issue of running it fast is that if you collide with the scenery, instead of your car rolling, the game accelerates further, so you can complete a stage in 6 seconds, whilst all the opposition cars retire!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor