VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rickreynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm attempting to play Alley Cat with a controller. To exit the game, you press CTRL-F9. I've verified this works fine with a keyboard. However, I can't seem to come up with a way to map that to a controller button or buttons.

First attempt was to put definitions like this into the mapper file:

key_lctrl "stick_0 button 6"
key_f9 "stick_0 button 6"

Binding a single button to both LCTRL and F9. This doesn't work to exit the game. So I tried the next logical step:

key_f9 "stick_0 button 8"

Binding LCTRL to one button and F9 to another, then pressing them together. This also doesn't work to exit.

So I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding what I've read about these kinds of combinations, or if maybe there is something special about CTRL and/or function keys?

dosbox --version shows "DOSBox version 0.74-ES, copyright 2002-2010 DOSBox Team."

Some other info as asked for in the submission guidelines:

This is an ARM processor running on an H3 board.
Quad processor, 1GB ram.
Linux OS (Raspbian)

Thanks for any help.

Reply 2 of 8, by rickreynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

This is the 61,568-byte DOS rip?

I'm not entirely sure I follow, but if you're asking if the Alley Cat program I'm running is of that length, then no:

-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 55067 Feb 20 17:46 CAT.EXE

Reply 6 of 8, by rickreynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Errius! That is indeed correct and I'm able to exit the game with mappings like so:

key_y "stick_0 button 6"

So now I'm left with a question of why I couldn't map CTRL-F9 properly. If that mapping was working, I should have been exiting dosbox. I'll investigate that a bit on my own now that I better understand that CTRL-F9 is an exit of the emulator rather than the game. There might have been a conflicting map for exit emulator or something like that.

Reply 7 of 8, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ctrl-F9 is itself a mapping for the shutdown event. You were mapping keys to simulate passing ctrl-F9 to the game, which does nothing. Look for the box labelled "shutdown" on the mapper screen.

Reply 8 of 8, by rickreynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote:

Ctrl-F9 is itself a mapping for the shutdown event. You were mapping keys to simulate passing ctrl-F9 to the game, which does nothing. Look for the box labelled "shutdown" on the mapper screen.

Ah, got it. Thanks again everyone.