VOGONS

Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 520 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ Peixoto:

Alpha Testing NVIDIA Fix integrated in your patch in the future would be greatly appreciated (regardless if messing around with dgvoodoo or not). If it's easily done as you said (at least in TR3)... would just be a great and important improvement of the playability status of classic Tomb Raider games.

While some of the instances of the bugged textures remain predominantly aesthetic, the wretched invisible barbed wire thing really breaks gameplay to an extent in the already somewhat difficult levels of the games affected by this. You will just run into certain death at times, tiles below you that seemed "jumpable" will just result in unnecessary Lara kills & frequent frustration and so on.

But I will remain a patient Jedi pupil and wait for things to come, not giving in to the dark side of impatience and of annoyingly pestering patch/fix programmers in the meantime...

Reply 521 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there people.

I've been testing a lot a games in a effort to make this a program similar to DXWnd, with several tweaks you can apply to any game.

Its not sufficiently mature for a release yet and since i will have little time to work on this in the next months, i decided to release new "patches" for the games that already work.

There are 20 new games, forced resolution works in all of them, xBR filter woks ins all directdraw games but silver and texture swapping works in all 3D games but turok 1 and 2.

These are the new games:
Alien Earth
Blood 2
Darkstone
Diablo
Diablo 2
Die by the sword
Forsaken
Grim Fandando
Oddworld 1 and 2
onScappe
Outwars
Prince of persia 3D
Shadow man
Silver
Star wars - SOTE
Planescape torment
Turok 1 and 2
Tomb Raider I

Enjoy

Reply 522 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool additions, great work!

I just checked my old copy of Pop3D, seems to run at first glance but I had to turn off Forced Resolution.

With FR turned on, the intro video defaulted to a black screen (only music playing) and crash after that.

Would a working FR allow me to play in custom widescreen?

Reply 523 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blam666 wrote:
Cool additions, great work! […]
Show full quote

Cool additions, great work!

I just checked my old copy of Pop3D, seems to run at first glance but I had to turn off Forced Resolution.

With FR turned on, the intro video defaulted to a black screen (only music playing) and crash after that.

Would a working FR allow me to play in custom widescreen?

Try this quicktime version:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApHOE-Ru-xkG5VRrqh6HSumF23x-
and do a clean install: uninstall, reboot, install

Reply 524 of 890, by warm_wind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I can't get tomb raider 4 to work. I have the GOG version.
It crashes on launch, saying that directx failed to setup.
I applied the multipatch.
Error log attached.
Thank you for your work!

Attachments

• Filename
    error.log
    File size
    4.82 KiB
    Downloads
    92 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 525 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
warm_wind wrote:
Hello, I can't get tomb raider 4 to work. I have the GOG version. It crashes on launch, saying that directx failed to setup. I […]
Show full quote

Hello, I can't get tomb raider 4 to work. I have the GOG version.
It crashes on launch, saying that directx failed to setup.
I applied the multipatch.
Error log attached.
Thank you for your work!

Hold shift to run the game's setup and see what happens

and update the program

Reply 526 of 890, by warm_wind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Program is already updated though?
I can access setup, but many resolutions are missing (1080p for example).
If I launch the game normally, without your program, it launches but crashes after the EIDOS screen. Also, setup gives all resolutions.

Attachments

• setuptr4.jpg
    Filename
    setuptr4.jpg
    File size
    71.01 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 527 of 890, by Robbeasy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Peixoto,

Having an odd problem with your patcher

After downloading , double clicking on the help.exe just brings back a message 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'.
The very weird thing is that it then also removes the help.exe from wherever I have extracted it to - I don't know what it does with it...

I've tried to set permissions, run as administrator, extract to different locations - I'm a little stumped, any ideas as to why the help file won't open and removes itself??

D'uh!! Sorted it - was my anti-virus messing about with it, should have looked there first **embarrassed** - as you were 😀

Reply 528 of 890, by BladeDarkeden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Peixoto! My name is Blade Darkeden! Before I start, I just want to commend and thank you for making such an awesome patching system for these old games. Your work is helping to keep many of these old treasures alive. Now, on to the matter at hand. Just a few days ago, I updated the Patch and have come across at least 2 problems so far. The first lies with Tomb Raider The Last Revelation and Tomb Raider Chronicles. Everytime I go to play the game with your patch, it gives me a Failed to Setup DirectX error. I've tried everything from going through the setup for both games respectively to patching it with the Multipatch. I feel like the Multipatch would work except, everytime I replace the old exe with the new ones, it gives me a No CD Retry error (I have the Steam edition of the game if that tells you anything) which forces me to use the exe supplied by Steam. For the time being, I'm able to play these two games fairly well without the patch right now, so it isn't really a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know. The second problem is with Tomb Raider III. Ever since I updated the patch, everything appears zoomed in and set in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I've supplies screenshots as well as the error log for you. I don't expect you to take care of these problems anytime soon, for I too am a very busy person, but if there's anyway you could give insight as to what is causing these problems, I would very much appreciate it! Thanks again, for all your hard work!

Filename
error.log
File size
5.23 KiB
Downloads
77 downloads
File license
Screenshot (2).png
Filename
Screenshot (2).png
File size
505.91 KiB
Views
File license
Screenshot (5).png
Filename
Screenshot (5).png
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license

Edit: I also tried Tomb Raider 2, Golden Mask, and the Lost Artifact and they're also acting up in the same manner as Tomb Raider 3. Plus Tomb Raider 2's fmvs are skipping automatically (At least the HQ ones) even though I have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed. Thought this might help in troubleshooting the issue.

Edit 2: If possible, do you think I could get the previous version of your patch until if this doesn't get resolved for a while? No pressure. Just thought I'd ask.

Reply 529 of 890, by MarkoftheWolves

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whenever i try to launch the shortcut to Tomb Raider 2 that i created from the help.exe, i get an error message that says "C:\Games\Tomb Raider II\Tomb2.exe is not a valid Windows 32 or 64 bit program", i'm running the steam version on Windows 10 and have all the patch updates copied into the game files. Any idea what I should do Peixoto?

Reply 530 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BladeDarkeden wrote:
Hello Peixoto! My name is Blade Darkeden! Before I start, I just want to commend and thank you for making such an awesome patchi […]
Show full quote

Hello Peixoto! My name is Blade Darkeden! Before I start, I just want to commend and thank you for making such an awesome patching system for these old games. Your work is helping to keep many of these old treasures alive. Now, on to the matter at hand. Just a few days ago, I updated the Patch and have come across at least 2 problems so far. The first lies with Tomb Raider The Last Revelation and Tomb Raider Chronicles. Everytime I go to play the game with your patch, it gives me a Failed to Setup DirectX error. I've tried everything from going through the setup for both games respectively to patching it with the Multipatch. I feel like the Multipatch would work except, everytime I replace the old exe with the new ones, it gives me a No CD Retry error (I have the Steam edition of the game if that tells you anything) which forces me to use the exe supplied by Steam. For the time being, I'm able to play these two games fairly well without the patch right now, so it isn't really a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know. The second problem is with Tomb Raider III. Ever since I updated the patch, everything appears zoomed in and set in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I've supplies screenshots as well as the error log for you. I don't expect you to take care of these problems anytime soon, for I too am a very busy person, but if there's anyway you could give insight as to what is causing these problems, I would very much appreciate it! Thanks again, for all your hard work!

error.log
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (5).png

Edit: I also tried Tomb Raider 2, Golden Mask, and the Lost Artifact and they're also acting up in the same manner as Tomb Raider 3. Plus Tomb Raider 2's fmvs are skipping automatically (At least the HQ ones) even though I have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed. Thought this might help in troubleshooting the issue.

Edit 2: If possible, do you think I could get the previous version of your patch until if this doesn't get resolved for a while? No pressure. Just thought I'd ask.

You need the multipatch for all games. Since you have the steam release what you can do is build yourself and iso from the steam files, but there is another easier method i cannot mention here

MarkoftheWolves wrote:

Whenever i try to launch the shortcut to Tomb Raider 2 that i created from the help.exe, i get an error message that says "C:\Games\Tomb Raider II\Tomb2.exe is not a valid Windows 32 or 64 bit program", i'm running the steam version on Windows 10 and have all the patch updates copied into the game files. Any idea what I should do Peixoto?

Just star the game with the start button once to update the path on the tomb2.ini

warm_wind wrote:

If I launch the game normally, without your program, it launches but crashes after the EIDOS screen. Also, setup gives all resolutions.

Try apitrace(https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace), so i can figure out what is happening. Just place apitraces's ddraw.ddl on the game folder, start the game once and then upload the tomb4.trace file it will create

Reply 531 of 890, by BladeDarkeden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
You need the multipatch for all games. Since you have the steam release what you can do is build yourself and iso from the steam […]
Show full quote
BladeDarkeden wrote:
Hello Peixoto! My name is Blade Darkeden! Before I start, I just want to commend and thank you for making such an awesome patchi […]
Show full quote

error.log
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (5).png

You need the multipatch for all games. Since you have the steam release what you can do is build yourself and iso from the steam files, but there is another easier method i cannot mention here

MarkoftheWolves wrote:

Just star the game with the start button once to update the path on the tomb2.ini

warm_wind wrote:

Try apitrace(https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace), so i can figure out what is happening. Just place apitraces's ddraw.ddl on the game folder, start the game once and then upload the tomb4.trace file it will create

Okay! I think I can do that for Tomb Raider 4 and 5. But will that also fix the Issues with the other games that I mentioned? Like I said, I tested Tomb Raider 2, Golden Mask, 3, and Lost Artifact and those all are the ones that I was able to update with the Multipatch. But even still, no matter what resolution I choose with or without the "Force Native Resolution" option, every one of those games play zoomed into the top left and I have no idea on how to resolve this issue at the moment. I even tried fresh reinstalls and that didn't work either. Everything was working great with the previous version of the patch, so I'm confused at this point. Any ideas? Oh! And thank you for replying! I really appreciate the help!

Update: So I made an Iso for both Tomb Raider 4 and 5 to work with the Multipatch and I'm happy to say that it worked! However, there are still a few problems... Just like the other games, everything is zoomed in to where I can only see part of the fullscreen and for both games, if I don't activate Non-exclusive Fullscreen, whether I have the HQ FMVs or not, I get a perpetual black screen in which I have to restart my PC. Also, when I start TR5 with Non-Exclusive Fullscreen active, it'll play the Eidos Logo FMV and after that the game crashes. I even tried playing in Windowed mode for both games and it gave me the dreaded Failed to Setup DirectX error. I don't know if it's the patch or something I have to tweak in my graphics settings, but so far, I'm just completely puzzled. Anyway, hope this narrows it down for you! Thanks again!

Reply 533 of 890, by Sinko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Guys, I tried do find the answer but I couldn't sooo. I've trying to play Legacy of Kain Soul reaver, after turned-off all my anti-virus (including win defender) I can't patched it, "no target supplied", I'm using a brazilian version of soul reaver can be the reason of this problem?

Reply 534 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BladeDarkeden wrote:

Try the latest version that was just uploaded, and of that doesn't work, try apitrace

Alkimical wrote:

In RE1 the FMV scale, doesn't work.

That option was disabled because it was causing the last FMV frame ti get stuck on the screen hiding the game

Starting on the the next update. i will keep links to older versions

Sinko wrote:

Hello Guys, I tried do find the answer but I couldn't sooo. I've trying to play Legacy of Kain Soul reaver, after turned-off all my anti-virus (including win defender) I can't patched it, "no target supplied", I'm using a brazilian version of soul reaver can be the reason of this problem?

If you're trying to run the injector directly, read the help. If you're running from a shortcut created with help.exe, download the latest version, creating shortcuts was broken in the last version

Reply 535 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update

Now there is a create new button to add new games. I don't expect a good compatibility for most options, but there are two of them that should have very good compatibility

Texture swapping
Now we have a general tool to mod textures on DirectX 7 and earlier and old Opengl games. Soon, all DirectX (but 12) and OpenGl versions will be supported

Forced resolution on 2D games with or without xBRz
Now we have a general hardware upscaler with hardware xBRz for DirectDraw games

There are also a bunch of new entries and bug fixes

Reply 536 of 890, by diagonally

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Peixoto, I'm having trouble using your injector with Little Big Adventure (LBA).

* Playing LBA through LbaWin 0.8.1.
* Installed using the EU version of LBA.
* Using the most recent version of your injector (updated 2019-5-22).
* Any combination of injected settings (xBR scaler, looping music, compatibility options, plugged-in gamepad) causes the issues mentioned below.

The issues I'm having:

* The entire screen is blacked out from the moment the starting Adeline Software logo appears, up until the main menu (can still hear the music/sound effects of the opening logos/cinematics).
* At the main menu, creating a save file (even naming it "auto", as your new save system recommends) or loading a pre-existing save file immediately results in a hang and CTD.

Here is the accompanying error log:

CreateProcessA Hook: 0
CreateProcessW Hook: 0
Succeeded to create the DirectSound interfaces
Desktop 1920x1080
OpenAdapter Hook 0
DDraw.dll : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DDRAW.dll
DirectDrawCreate Hook : 0
Succeeded to create DirectDraw
Succeeded to create Direct3D
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::restore
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::EndScene
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::AddViewport
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::EnumDisplayModes
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::SetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::GetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::Clear
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::Execute
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::flip
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::GetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPixelFormat
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetSurfaceDesc
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::ReleaseDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::GetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Bltfast
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetCooperativeLevel
So far, so good
CreateFile Hook : 0 <- 0 means no error
CloseHandle Hook : 0 <- 0 means no error

I hope that this is fixable, as playing LbaWin with a gamepad would be great. Thanks for reading.

Reply 537 of 890, by BladeDarkeden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, the zooming issue for Tomb Raider 2, 2 Gold, 3, and 3 Gold is still prevalent in this new version. I have the trace file, but this website won't let me upload it. Any other way I can get it to you?

Reply 538 of 890, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peixoto wrote:
Update […]
Show full quote

Update

Now there is a create new button to add new games. I don't expect a good compatibility for most options, but there are two of them that should have very good compatibility

Texture swapping
Now we have a general tool to mod textures on DirectX 7 and earlier and old Opengl games. Soon, all DirectX (but 12) and OpenGl versions will be supported

Forced resolution on 2D games with or without xBRz
Now we have a general hardware upscaler with hardware xBRz for DirectDraw games

There are also a bunch of new entries and bug fixes

HyperBlade works with 3D forced resolution. Menus didn't work the first time I tried it, but then they suddenly started to work perfectly, but top left aligned in a 640x480 rectangle. MCI emulation seems to work too.

hyperblade.jpg
Filename
hyperblade.jpg
File size
252.69 KiB
Views
File license

Never played the game though, so if anything subtle was wrong I wouldn't be able to spot it.

It's a bit problematic on my 4K display though. It only renders 1/4 of the screen. Obviously a DPI scaling issue (and I turned off DPI scaling to verify that it indeed is), but I see no option in help.exe to deal with DPI scaling and it clears Window's own compatibility flags for that whenever I launch the game?

Battle Isle: The Andosia War sort of works with 3D resolution forcing too. It has a bit problematic window handling, which is why resolution forcing with dgVoodoo doesn't work too well.

There's a few problems, first is "Disabled maximized mode". If it's on, then FMVs as the description says "might not play". I expected them just to either play, or don't, but it seems entirely random when they do. On some application launches they do, others they don't. Weird. If you disable the setting you get window borders (regardless of the "Hide window border" setting).

Second problem is that "Mouse clip fix: Constrain clip area" seems to be off by one pixel.

Third problem looks intentional, the resolution enumeration is not at all what I need:

Clipboard01.png
Filename
Clipboard01.png
File size
16.6 KiB
Views
File license

Values look too specific to be a bug, so I'm guessing this is a feature request to customize resolution (and refresh rate; I'm stuck at 60 here) enumeration.

bitaw 2019-05-26 20-06-14-87.jpg
Filename
bitaw 2019-05-26 20-06-14-87.jpg
File size
466.93 KiB
Views
File license

Other minor experimenting with forcing 3D resolution:
Army Men RTS doesn't work.
MechCommander 2 doesn't work.
Neverwinter Nights doesn't work.
Plane Crazy works great.
Quake II works great.
Quake III Arena works great.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic doesn't work.
Thandor: The Invasion doesn't work.
The Longest Journey doesn't work.
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms doesn't work.

Outlaws which has a profile included crashes whenever I look at waterfalls. I haven't disabled texture swap, am I supposed to do something else?

Reply 539 of 890, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Metal Fatigue in OpenGL mode works as well with 3D resolution forcing as DxWnd. It needs two steps first to be done first though. First is fixing the OpenGL extension limit problem (just open OpenGLRendEng.dll in a hex editor and change "Extensions: %s" to something else), second at least on Nvidia cards is the GL_CLAMP issue. Can be fixed by downloading GLOverride and setting FixClamp = 1.

MFatigue 2019-05-27 20-02-10-19.jpg
Filename
MFatigue 2019-05-27 20-02-10-19.jpg
File size
593 KiB
Views
File license

Direct3D render works as well as with DxWnd too. Meaning it doesn't draw the sidebar in game and ends up looking a glitchy mess. Resolution forcing seems to be working though.

Dogs of War works with resolution forcing, but UI is distorted, same as with dgVoodoo.

Nelson Piquet's Gran Prix Evolution works with 3D resolution forcing. Since dgVoodoo doesn't work with this game that means this is the easiest way to get this game working in high resolution (the alternative is hacking the exe).

gpe.jpg
Filename
gpe.jpg
File size
509.87 KiB
Views
File license

Less success:
Conflict Zone
Desperados 2
Etherlords