VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are the rarest or most obscure games in your possession?

When I bought Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga on ebay, somewhere in 2008, I thought it was the rarest game I had, because the game was very hard to find back then. However, the game isn't rare anymore these days.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-kilrathi-saga.jpg
My copy of Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga. Obviously not much a rarity these days.

While not really hard to find, Interstel's D.R.A.G.O.N Force probably falls into the 'obscure' category. Nonetheless, I like the pausable real-time combat so much, that I'm willing to overlook the game's shortcomings.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-d-r-a-g-o-n-force.jpg
Interstel's D.R.A.G.O.N Force; a pretty much obscure squad-level tactical wargame.

Just like The Kilrathi Saga, Midwinter was probably once the rarest game in my position, but now ebay seems to be full of them.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-midwinter.jpg
Once upon a time, Midwinter was very hard to find. Well, not anymore.

So I guess the rarest game in my possession is Navy Strike. No, not the CD-only version, but fully boxed version that I've just bought recently, with manual and quick reference card and what-have-you. It also happens to be the first game I bought after my marriage, though I failed to impress my wife as she's already used to see game boxes everywhere! 🤣

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-navy-strike-01.jpg
The game just arrived today.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-navy-strike-02.jpg
Unboxing the game.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-navy-strike-front.jpg
After removing the shrink wrap. The box is still glossy nonetheless, though.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-navy-strike-back.jpg
When it goes to cover art, I actually like the back cover better.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-navy-strike-05.jpg
The manuals and key reference card.

Anyway, I bought the game from Denmark. Yep, WolverineDK's home country. I've been trying to avoid buying anything from the United States these days due to Pitney-Bowes' exorbitant markup better known as Global Shitting Program.

The next on my to-do list, besides playing the game, is to scan all the game documentations and put it somewhere on the internet. After all, it's part of my obsessive-compulsive disorder.

So, what are the rarest or most obscure games in your possession? Pics please! 😉

EDIT: I made a mistake. Navy Strike, despite being hard to find, is not as rare as EF2000 V2.0, which I already owned. Duh.

EDIT: added Air Force Commander, yet another obscure game I own.

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2019-05-16, 07:33. Edited 3 times in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 34, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm kind of undecided. I have an absurdly rare sample of "Wrath of Earth" which, to my knowledge, only received a very limited big box release in Germany and a copy of Creature Shock limited edition which is not as rare but a true beauty.

woe.jpg
Filename
woe.jpg
File size
410.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
447.89 KiB
Views
File license
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
497.76 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:
I'm kind of undecided. I have an absurdly rare sample of "Wrath of Earth" which, to my knowledge, only received a very limited b […]
Show full quote

I'm kind of undecided. I have an absurdly rare sample of "Wrath of Earth" which, to my knowledge, only received a very limited big box release in Germany and a copy of Creature Shock limited edition which is not as rare but a true beauty.

woe.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

I remember seeing a Creature Shock ad in an issue of Electronic Entertainment magazine, but I have never heard about Wrath of Earth before, so I guess the latter is really obscure, no?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 3 of 34, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IMG_20190511_014619_cropped.jpg
Filename
File size
338.46 KiB
Views
File license

Shovelware and sequel to a relatively little-known edutainment title. I'm the guy who added the MobyGames entries for both of them.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/tetris-gold-professional
https://www.mobygames.com/game/spelling-blizzard

IMG_20190511_015928_cropped.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190511_015928_cropped.jpg
File size
389.52 KiB
Views
File license

Obscure Canadian edutainment shovelware and a rare CD-ROM release of some registered shareware, both of which I still need to add to MobyGames.

Sadly, the Music Game CD got damaged on the label side when I was a kid, so some of the media files are partially unreadable, and I've been trying for years to find another copy with no luck.

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 4 of 34, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bored to grab new photos so I uploaded two older ones that I have. My most obscure/rare possessions are probably Dink Smallwood and SoulTrap.

Dink Smallwood is a Zelda-like game that was released in very small quantities in 1997 and once all the copies got sold, became freeware in 1999 and sort of a cult hit too. I lucked out and got a copy of it some years ago, I hold this game quite near and dear to my heart for various reasons.

24.jpg
SoulTrap is a weird one, just check out the box for that thing. It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but it reminds me of a simpler time, when I would scour demo discs for new games to play. I had a demo of this way back then and it stayed on my mind for some reason. Anyway, it is the only copy I've ever found.

65-B16570-037-D-4-A2-C-9-A84-A87-E5-B257-C69.png

Reply 5 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ssokolow wrote:

Shovelware and sequel to a relatively little-known edutainment title. I'm the guy who added the MobyGames entries for both of them.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/tetris-gold-professional

I remember watching a colleague playing a VGA version of Tetris, with much-better-than-MIDI music playing in the background. Turned out it was Tetris Gold Pro, wasn't it?

Garrett W wrote:
https://i.ibb.co/0KJzcqr/24.jpg SoulTrap is a weird one, just check out the box for that thing. It's not a great game by any st […]
Show full quote

24.jpg
SoulTrap is a weird one, just check out the box for that thing. It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but it reminds me of a simpler time, when I would scour demo discs for new games to play. I had a demo of this way back then and it stayed on my mind for some reason. Anyway, it is the only copy I've ever found.

I remember reading Soultrap ad in an issue of CGW; it has photos and comments of various people testifying that the game is better than Quake. I wondered why the ad is so focused in bashing Quake though.

Reply 6 of 34, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I remember reading Soultrap ad in an issue of CGW; it has photos and comments of various people testifying that the game is better than Quake. I wondered why the ad is so focused in bashing Quake though.

🤣, I'm sure no money was exchanged for those ballsy claims 🤣

Reply 8 of 34, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMG-20190512-202537.jpg

I spent a whole summer playing starcontrol2 when it came out a great game, legend of Excalibur not so much but enjoyed it and never played bat2 still in shrink wrap!

Reply 9 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I made a mistake.

First I thought the rarest game in my possession is Navy Strike, perhaps due to the euphoria of purchasing it on the first place. But after looking through my games again, I realized the rarest game I own actually EF2000 V2.0; the one with 3dfx support out of the box. 'Plain jane' EF2000 is quite plentiful on ebay, while EF2000 V2.0 is very hard to find, even harder than its successor, Total Air War.

Just FYI, you can add 3dfx support to plain EF2000 using the TACTCOM add-on, but that one is even harder to find --unless you get the abandonware version.

In any case, while EF2000 V2.0 is very hard to find, it is not obscure. The V2.0 is pretty much well-known among 3dfx users and flightsimmers. I guess D.R.A.G.O.N Force remains the only obscure game in my possession.

How about yours? It's very interesting to see more obscure games on this thread, although rare-but-not-obscure games are also welcome.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-ef2000-v2-0-front.jpg
EF2000 V2.0, front cover.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-ef2000-v2-0-back.jpg
EF2000 V2.0, back cover, which I like better due to in-game screenshots.

Reply 10 of 34, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can list a few, but can't provide photos of:
The PC port of T-MeK.
Scorched Planet.
Williams Arcade Collection.
Sinistar: Unleashed
Asteroids (the PC version of the 3D remake that was on the PlayStation and Nintendo 64)
Space Invaders (ditto above)
Wargasm.

and of course, the actual Gunmetal by Mad Genius Software in 1998 which is the only thing I can provide a photograph of.

2014-08-04 04.24.53.jpg
Filename
2014-08-04 04.24.53.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 11 of 34, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many people know about its sequel, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos as a very good space shooter/sim, but not many know of the first I-War, a 3dfx glide space simulation in which you captain a corvette class capital ship.

Game-Death-Knights-I-War.jpg

It's an amazing game.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 34, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not rare but always wanted a Might and Magic VI. As a child played it so much, and finally few weeks ago I got this: Unfortunately the third CD with demo games and Czech language is missing. Not in great condition but I like it

Attachments

• P5150005.JPG
    Filename
    P5150005.JPG
    File size
    703.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P5150004.JPG
    Filename
    P5150004.JPG
    File size
    723.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P5150003.JPG
    Filename
    P5150003.JPG
    File size
    802.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P5150001.JPG
    Filename
    P5150001.JPG
    File size
    778.32 KiB
    Views
    File license

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 13 of 34, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote:

Popular, but pretty difficult to find now in big box / decent shape:

I have that Samsung monitor too 😀

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 14 of 34, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't really follow the rarity or values of the big box PC games much but I guess for me my most unusual or rarish games would be:

Beta discs for Star Siege (I was on the online Star Siege beta and kept the discs)
Beta disc for Cyberstorm (Again I was a beta tester but I no longer have the parallel hardware key it required to use it)
King's Quest I SCI with the relief raised graphics box.
Space Quest 1 VGA in the original AGI box but with a VGA specifications label applied over the original box printed AGI requirements. I ordered it direct from Sierra back in the 90s and that is how it arrived to me.
Loom VGA Talkie signed by George 'Fatman' Singer
Seawolf signed by George 'Fatman' Singer with a note to remind me his wife appears in the game

That is all I can think off off the top of my head...I also own Kilrathi Saga as well but as has been stated it isn't nearly as rare as it was once thought to be. I used to think my CIB of Black Cauldron from Sierra was rare too but those have also been on the 'bay quite a bit.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 15 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrossBow777 wrote:
I don't really follow the rarity or values of the big box PC games much but I guess for me my most unusual or rarish games would […]
Show full quote

I don't really follow the rarity or values of the big box PC games much but I guess for me my most unusual or rarish games would be:

Beta discs for Star Siege (I was on the online Star Siege beta and kept the discs)
Beta disc for Cyberstorm (Again I was a beta tester but I no longer have the parallel hardware key it required to use it)
King's Quest I SCI with the relief raised graphics box.
Space Quest 1 VGA in the original AGI box but with a VGA specifications label applied over the original box printed AGI requirements. I ordered it direct from Sierra back in the 90s and that is how it arrived to me.
Loom VGA Talkie signed by George 'Fatman' Singer
Seawolf signed by George 'Fatman' Singer with a note to remind me his wife appears in the game

That is all I can think off off the top of my head...I also own Kilrathi Saga as well but as has been stated it isn't nearly as rare as it was once thought to be. I used to think my CIB of Black Cauldron from Sierra was rare too but those have also been on the 'bay quite a bit.

Very interesting games, would you mind posting the photos?

Anyway, I just realized there is another obscure game in my possession, although I'm not sure how rare it is: Air Force Commander by Impression.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-air-force-commander.jpg
Air Force Commander, a pretty obscure game I own.

It was around 1996, I was in college at that time. There were almost no genuine, boxed PC games in my country. Almost all computer games being sold in computer stores were pirated games like these:

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-examples-of-pirated-games.jpg
Examples of pirated games.

I remember buying a pirated copy of Air Force Commander. It was erroneously named 'Fighter Command,' and the pirated, Indonesian-translated manual was very inadequate. Yet I patiently learned the game without manuals, and being immersed despite the game's shortcomings. Air Force Commander is a real-time strategy with complex, layered interface (Fragile Allegiance anyone?), so larger scenarios are almost impossible to play due to the game's pace and complexity. Yet I enjoyed smaller scenarios thoroughly.

Reply 16 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, the following is my first attempt to play Navy Strike, an obscure PC game I just bought.

control-181.png
Outside view.

control-182.png
Padlock view.

Installation is kinda PITA. I have to mount C F:\DOSGAMES\ instead of my usual C F:\ lazy mounting method, otherwise the game won't install. In any case, I also use machine=svga_et4000, cputype=pentium_slow, and cycles=30000, and unlike Dawn Patrol --another Rowan's title, Navy Strike runs smooth like butter.

control-192.png
Firing air-to-air missile, part 1.

control-193.png
Firing air-to-air missile, part 1.

The instant action mission is called Alert 5, by the way. Just like in Dawn Patrol, this mission is deceptively easy, as the computer opponents don't fight back. However, I suspect the computer opponents in 'real' missions will be aggressive and tenacious, just like those in Dawn Patrol.

control-202.png
Using cannon, part 1.

control-204.png
Using cannon, part 2.

So far, Navy Strike suits me well. Flight model is easy and forgiving --even more forgiving that that of Jane's ATF. Gun kill is easier than realistic, which indicates exciting dogfight. I haven't tried the strategic part of the game yet, but I was indeed entertained by even the simplistic strategic campaign of Their Finest Hour, so I guess I'd enjoy Navy Strike just fine.

I have only two gripes with this game. First, just like in Dawn Patrol, keyboard layout is confusing, but that's what programmable stick is for. My bigger complain is avionics, which is unlike any other flight sims I've ever played. For example, it's harder for me to find the goddamn RPM indicator on this sim. Weapons label like MRM, SRM, and DOG kinda confuse me as well.

Well either that, or I haven't been playing jet sims for quite a long time.

Anyway, I hope others would like to share their obscure games experience as well. Screenshots are welcome.

Reply 17 of 34, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't really say how rare these are, but at least they are somewhat uncommon I guess. Just a random bunch I picked off the shelves. There might be something more interesting or obscure there, but how would I know?

games1.jpg
Filename
games1.jpg
File size
251.57 KiB
Views
File license
games2.jpg
Filename
games2.jpg
File size
270.63 KiB
Views
File license
games3.jpg
Filename
games3.jpg
File size
243.6 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 19 of 34, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I didn't really include pics on my post and I was asked about it, I made a fairly short video on my YT channel where I show two of the games I have signed by George 'The Fat Man' Sanger and some of my beta versions of some games from Sierra/Dynamix that I was a beta tester on in the late 90s.

https://youtu.be/gRd3PphnMqg

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20