VOGONS

GeForce 256 DDR for vintage pc

Topic actions

First post, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While building my old pc it seems this graphics card has been practically unobtainable. Does anybody know where it might be possible to find one?

Reply 1 of 36, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No idea outside of ebay when they show up or from a collector. You could try the original Quadro which used the NV10 chip also.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 2 of 36, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

as always: save your ebay search. also save searches for particular models like "creative annihilator". Many sellers don't know the chip and don't put "geforce 256" in the titel. first learn how to ebay, then you will be successfull 😉 Also use local groups on facebook and just look for "pc parts" "old pcs" etc. ! Collecting doesn't mean you can just "shop" your stuff together 😉 it's hard work

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 5 of 36, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just buy a GF2 MX400. I have 2 in my collection but when I need to use these cards, I just buy another cheap MX400 instead.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 36, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Asus SDR version for sale if that's good enough for you (I don't sell on this forum and it's not cheap though).

Last edited by SpectriaForce on 2019-05-17, 23:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 36, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

last year i was able to find one, DDR version for 20dollars. I am so happy, it was the chance of a lifetime.
during that era there were many brand from taiwan that are no longer with us, i got one of those but i dont care as the chip is geforce256. Probably i will never use it and die with me

Reply 8 of 36, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the rarity of GeForce 256 is "slightly" exaggerated, at least for 32mb cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 36, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SPBHM wrote:

there is a seller with 3x Elsa Gloria II Pro for $50 each on ebay

"RETURNS: Returns are not accepted. All sales are final. Buyer pays for returning the item if allowed by Ebay as a result of a dispute. All shipping charges are not refundable.
DISPUTES: This item is sold As-IS with all faults and imperfections if any. It is non-returnable. We make every effort to make sure the description is as accurate as possible. Any errors or omissions in the listing shall not be grounds for returning the item. It is sold As-IS and Non-Returnable. If Ebay permits the buyer to return the item to the seller as a result of a dispute, the buyer agrees and shall pay a 25% restocking fee. In addition, the buyer agrees and shall pay the return shipping charges including insurance. Buyer also agrees that the all shipping charges are not refundable."

Conditions of this listing are against Ebay rules.

"sealed static bag, All Sales are final. There are no warranties. Sold AS-IS "

= broken cards. All it takes is a clothes iron and bam, sealed "new" card.

I agree on MX400, same performance at a fraction of the price. 256 is a collectors item, was originally sold during a very narrow window. Nvidia was shitting out new generations of products every couple of months during 3dfx fight!
Riva 128 (April 1997) to TNT (June 15, 1998) took 14 months, TNT2 (March 15, 1999) 8 month, GF256 (October 11, 1999) 7 months, GF2 (April 26, 2000) 6 months, | 3dfx dies here |, GF3 (February 27, 2001) 9 months, GF4 (February 6, 2002) 12 months, FX (March 2003) 13 months, etc ...

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 11 of 36, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in '99 The GF256 was THE card I wanted. I still do!

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 12 of 36, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I lucked out on offer up on hercules ddr 256 for 20 and 1 creative annihilator ddr 256 for 25 on facebook marketplace. My sdr visiontek i found in a bin full of cards i bought for 10 bucks on craiglist. I had better luck finding gems hunting them down off of ebay. Then i again i live california 🤣.

Reply 13 of 36, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:
Conditions of this listing are against Ebay rules. […]
Show full quote
SPBHM wrote:

there is a seller with 3x Elsa Gloria II Pro for $50 each on ebay

"RETURNS: Returns are not accepted. All sales are final. Buyer pays for returning the item if allowed by Ebay as a result of a dispute. All shipping charges are not refundable.
DISPUTES: This item is sold As-IS with all faults and imperfections if any. It is non-returnable. We make every effort to make sure the description is as accurate as possible. Any errors or omissions in the listing shall not be grounds for returning the item. It is sold As-IS and Non-Returnable. If Ebay permits the buyer to return the item to the seller as a result of a dispute, the buyer agrees and shall pay a 25% restocking fee. In addition, the buyer agrees and shall pay the return shipping charges including insurance. Buyer also agrees that the all shipping charges are not refundable."

Conditions of this listing are against Ebay rules.

"sealed static bag, All Sales are final. There are no warranties. Sold AS-IS "

= broken cards. All it takes is a clothes iron and bam, sealed "new" card.

I agree on MX400, same performance at a fraction of the price. 256 is a collectors item, was originally sold during a very narrow window. Nvidia was shitting out new generations of products every couple of months during 3dfx fight!
Riva 128 (April 1997) to TNT (June 15, 1998) took 14 months, TNT2 (March 15, 1999) 8 month, GF256 (October 11, 1999) 7 months, GF2 (April 26, 2000) 6 months, | 3dfx dies here |, GF3 (February 27, 2001) 9 months, GF4 (February 6, 2002) 12 months, FX (March 2003) 13 months, etc ...

I'm not recommending the seller at all, no idea, but he does have 100% record (but not a lot of activity), and if his "rules" are against paypal/ebay rules, wouldn't those be the rules that stands in case of a dispute?
the cards are nice I think, NV10, 64MB DDR

anyway, isn't the MX400 clearly slower than a 256 DDR?

I know it does fine against the SDR model, but most MX400s have 166 ram and not 175 like the specs, also some are actually more like MX200s (64bit SDR) always be careful with that, there is also the MX400 DDR but it runs with 64bit bus, still if it can clock higher than the SDR it's probably better

also, if you are going MX400, is there a really good reason to stop there and not go NV17? AFAIK it has good 98 drivers and all.

Reply 14 of 36, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SPBHM wrote:

anyway, isn't the MX400 clearly slower than a 256 DDR?

Nah. Pretty much on par with a 256 SDR, and overclocks rather well.

geforce2mx32_3DMark2000_NoAA.gif geforce2mx32_3DMark2001_NoAA.gif geforce2mx32_Q3_HQ_demo001.gif

Reply 15 of 36, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GF 256 has 4 pixel pipelines with 1 TMU each @ 120MHz
GF2 MX400 has 2 pixel pipelines with 2 TMUs each @ 200MHz

Not much difference especially vs. the SDR version.

GF2 Ultra or Ti has 4 pixel pipelines with 2 TMUs each @ 250MHz

It was much faster than GF 256. So fast that most of the time its performance was memory bandwidth limited. Could be overclocked to 300MHz, too.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 16 of 36, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can find some tests where the 256 DDR looks clearly better than the MX (this is the classic MX, so 175/166, most MX400s are 200/166, officially it was 200/175, but I don't think it would change enough of this graph if the result is mostly memory bandwidth limited)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/570/18

image020.gif

(the problem with this result is that it's with a higher res than one would normally use I would think, but, most of the other results I find are too CPU limited it seems)

oh well, I totally cannot disagree that the MX400 for a lot less money delivers a similar experience, but then again, why stop there and not go for a MX440? it's basically a cheap geforce 2 GTS+ (be it Ti/Ultra), if the model is decently clocked... both the 400 or the 440 are not NV10, from 1999, or anywhere near the best when they were new.

Reply 17 of 36, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At 1600x1200 the fillrate/bandwidth will bottleneck the MX400 but seriously who will play at 1600x1200 on these hardware? Anyway, even in this scenario it's 10% or so behind the GF256 SDR, so yeah.

Reply 18 of 36, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's funny how V5 5500 is the same to V4 4500 in this graph. SLI is clearly not working. V5 5500 was way faster than GF 256 DDR and about as good as GF2 GTS. Probably even better with the current drivers.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 19 of 36, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems to be a testing error; it's fast as hell in Quake 1600x1200 and UT 1280x1024.

image018.gif

image020.gif