VOGONS

First post, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero. It contains nine single-player and nine deathmatch levels. The free megawad will be released in mid- February 2019 and requires players own the original 1993 registered version of DOOM® in order to play. SIGIL™ is the spiritual successor to the fourth episode of DOOM®, and picks up where the original left off.

In addition to the free megawad, SIGIL also releases in two limited edition fan boxes created by Limited Run Games. The fan boxes feature music by metal guitar legend Buckethead, including a custom song written expressly for SIGIL, and cover art by Christopher Lovell whose iconic, detailed work has been featured on numerous metal albums. (Note: The free megawad does not ship with Buckethead’s music or Christopher Lovell’s art.)

Source: https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/

Reply 1 of 41, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hope it works on vanilla doom. They may be referring to just needing the original wad, rather then the entire game as they talk about gzdoom and think some of the newer wads written for source ports break backward comparability.

Reply 2 of 41, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Limit removing with dehacked (i guess he has replaced E4), that means at least Crispy or even RUDE (closest to vanilla but expect graphic problems). But the latter is based on Choco 2.3 and runs like shit on very old machines, somewhat runs on 98 tough.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 3 of 41, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now there's an interview at the Sigil page, it's for GZDoom but i guess they are actually limit removing maps.

Romero wrote:

The free version of the SIGIL wad contains several wads that deliver the levels. In the SIGIL fan boxes, we also include Buckethead’s amazing music. To make it work, you basically drag the SIGIL.WAD file onto gzdoom.exe (or gzdoom.app on a Mac). Sigil’s numbering scheme is E5Mx where “x” is the level number 1-9. Episode Five, just after Episode Four: Thy Flesh Consumed. To play SIGIL, you must have the registered DOOM.WAD as well.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 4 of 41, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Status update:

I just wanted to update you on SIGIL. There were a few snags in production trying to make sure everything is top-notch for fans! I just wanted to let everyone who purchased either the Big Box or the Beast Box know that it is now looking like it will ship sometime in April. Thank you for your patience, and I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. This also means the free version of SIGIL will have to wait until after the boxes are in the hands of customers.

Source: https://rome-ro.squarespace.com/news/2019/2/16/sigil-update

Reply 5 of 41, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE April 7, 2019: Due to a delay in physical production of some of SIGIL's pieces, fan boxes will ship in the first week of May. The free megawad will be made available one week after fan boxes begin shipping so paying customers can play SIGIL first.

Source: https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil

Reply 6 of 41, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently, Romero's head is holding up production (sorry, it's hard not to laugh about this).

UPDATE May 11, 2019: SIGIL has been done for quite a while at this point. There were two production issues at Limited Run -- the […]
Show full quote

UPDATE May 11, 2019: SIGIL has been done for quite a while at this point. There were two production issues at Limited Run -- the head and the disk. The head is now heading through production.

All units are crafted and finished by an individual artist. The second is the disk which is expected in shortly. There was also an issue with that. These are beyond the control of Romero Games, and we desperately wish that we could release it right now. We regret the delay, and have expressed your frustration to Limited Run.

We have also asked them to regularly update people who have purchased the game as this is also beyond the control of Romero Games. They have that list.

We’re sorry. We want SIGIL in your hands more than you know. We have to wait until Beast Box players get it before we release the free version. For their part, Limited Run isn’t happy with the delays either, and looks forward to releasing the game.

The Limited Run team has been doing everything it can to resolve the delays and are as frustrated as we are. We all want the game in our hands. The delays are due to making these items higher quality, because we and Limited Run believe you deserve the best possible product. They could have accepted earlier revisions and shipped an inferior product, but we both believe that you deserve better.

Limited Run will be in contact with an email update soon - until then, thanks for your patience!

Source: https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil

Reply 8 of 41, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received shipping notification for my standard edition of Sigil from LRG this afternoon! Amazing to think of a new official Doom wad being made and released like this so far in the games future.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 11 of 41, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

I bought it for 6 euro from the romero sight with the soundtrack, quite enjoying it.

thanks for the heads up, did the same 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 41, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well you get 3 wads , there are "simpler" versions that work with chocolate and eternal doom.... no idea if this can be used for dos though

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 41, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It will NOT work with DOS DOOM. I've been messing with a good portion of tonight. I was able to get the Compatible version to at least show up as Episode 3 on my installed Ultimate Doom install. However, as soon as you turn too much in any one direction you get the dreaded Visplane error. So...the WAD has too many textures in it to work with any DOS variant of Doom that I'm aware of due to this.

I've been playing it with GZdoom as that is the easiest to get it up and going. Chocolate Doom also crashed in the exact same spectacular fashion. You can use the standard WAD but then the episode doesn't show up so you have to use a -warp in the command line to start it. But the same visplane crash will still occur just after starting it and running forward.

It is pretty difficult to play even on the easier difficulty. But...there is one very cool thing about this that didn't get mentioned..

It has a new MIDI soundtrack as well! Yeap, I actually prefer playing it through my MT-200 in GZdoom than the 3rd and largest WAD file that contains Buckethead's MP3 soundtrack embedded in it.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 16 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrossBow777 wrote:

However, as soon as you turn too much in any one direction you get the dreaded Visplane error. So...the WAD has too many textures in it to work with any DOS variant of Doom that I'm aware of due to this.

Have you tried BOOM/MBF? They remove visplane limits and other limits, as far as I know.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 17 of 41, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is that a DOS DOOM engine program? I've not heard of Boom/MBF and had just been trying to load up the wad directly within my installed copy of Ultimate Doom.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 18 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, these are DOOM source ports.

BOOM is by TeamTNT (who did the Final DOOM levels and a few other notable Megawads). It is no longer maintaned; MBF, which spun from BOOM, is maintained by gerwin and there is a thread on the forums:
Doom 'MBF' for DOS, Maintenance release 2.04

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys