VOGONS

Reply 20 of 41, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It does indeed work for Boom! I found what I think is the last version of Boom that was released 2.02? Last night and copied everything into it. Starts up the same as you would any other wad file. Although I did have to use the Sigil_Compat wad because the normal wad loads up as episode 5 and these older Doom engine ports won't show but he original 4. The Sigil_Compat version I assume stands for Compatible and it will replace Episode 3 with Sigil in the new game episode list.

However, while it does work I have to say it looks pretty ugly overall graphically. It is obvious that JR was using GZdoom with some plugins added because it looks freaking fantastic through GZDoom and the smoothdoom plugin. That is how I've mainly been playing it. But I did get it to load up and run just fine through Boom as well. Another odd thing is that the enemy placements change when using Boom vs GZDoom. I've pretty much got the 1st and 2nd levels committed to memory so I know where the enemy will be to get through them faster. But when I fired it up in Boom last night some of the monsters were in different parts of the map. They were in the same area they should be in, but were placed in different parts of that area. It was odd and quite unexpected.

And the new midi tracks are not getting enough love in mention through the press on this! It sounds very Doom like but also has some Heretic mixed in there on the style of the midi tracks. I like it a lot. Especially the 2nd level (Sheol) music.

I bought the standard big box version. Pretty cool pacakging. But you basically get two copies of the game in that box. You have the soundtrack disc, but oddly enough there are two discs in this case and they are both DVD? The soundtrack is in MP3 format?! I really don't get it because everything they have in this could have fit onto one DVD without issue. There is a behind the scene making video that is about 30min long but that is only about 1.5gb in size. The wads only take up about 300mb total. So yeah..seems like a waste to spread it over a two DVD sets. Plus there is the mock 3.5 floppy disc. But it is actually a USB drive and this has the exact same contents except the soundtrack files on this floppy/usb drive are .wav files and presumably higher quality. It is a 16gb USB drive too so I'm like going to store some other builds of Doom onto this disc and have it be my Doom archive going forward.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 21 of 41, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you please post some comparison pics of the WAD running in GZDoom and Boom?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 41, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are two separate comparisons between Boom under Dosbox and GZDoom running Sigil. These are two different spots in the first map. There are some really cool layouts that are in Sigil but as it comes out for free at the end of the month, I'm not going to ruin it.

Sigil map 1 beginning under Boom

sigil_e5m1_boom.jpg
Filename
sigil_e5m1_boom.jpg
File size
413.52 KiB
Views
File comment
Sigil map 1 midway on GZDoom 1440p
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sigil map 1 beginning on GZDoom

sigil_e5m1_boom2.jpg
Filename
sigil_e5m1_boom2.jpg
File size
414.61 KiB
Views
File license

Sigil map 1 midway on Boom

sigil_e5m1_gzdoom.jpg
Filename
sigil_e5m1_gzdoom.jpg
File size
252.34 KiB
Views
File license

Sigil map 1 midway on GZDoom

sigil_e5m1_gzdoom2.jpg
Filename
sigil_e5m1_gzdoom2.jpg
File size
666.68 KiB
Views
File license

g883j7-2.png

Reply 24 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you got the labels mixed, but, yeah, the picture is clear. BOOM runs at the original 320x200 resolution with no upscaling and no smoothing, so it's very pixelated and ugly on a modern LCD. MBF has a higher resolution mode, so folks who want to play in DOS could try that.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 27 of 41, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, guys. I've been playing Sigil with vanilla Ultimate Doom on my K-6/233 DOS box and completed levels 1-3. Indeed there are a few places where if you face a certain direction it exits with the visplanes error. But if you learn those spots and keep them behind you it's possible to proceed.
Sigil in vanilla is also very dark, which I find more challenging than the visplanes crashes. Legacy 1.42 and zdoom 1.17c work with Sigil in DOS.

Reply 28 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Darkness in vanilla DOOM can be alleviated by adjusting the gamma (F11), but, Oh God, I hope no one follows your advice about "if you learn those spots and keep them behind you it's possible to proceed". I never understood people who want to inflict suffering on themselves for the sake of suffering...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 29 of 41, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the subject of lightning, for the people who aren't stuck in the past and are using GZdoom's OpenGL render make sure to set "Sector light mode" in OpenGL options to "Software". That makes the OpenGL render approximate Doom's lightning model as close as possible and from what I heard SIGIL is a bit reliant on that.

If you feel lightning is still wrong and want to change it to something else read the Wiki because the names make no sense: https://zdoom.org/wiki/OpenGL_options

And do try to play some other community wads too, they're just as great as "official" ones.

Reply 30 of 41, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

I never understood people who want to inflict suffering on themselves for the sake of suffering...

I don't mind a little pain and patience. I just want to see how far I can get before it becomes impossible to go further. Then I'll play it again in a source port.

Reply 31 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

If not stock dos doom, how about doom2-plus (dos doom with the limits hexed up)?

To answer my own question, it does. at least through a brief idclev'ing all the levels, haven't had time to play through fully yet. doomplus does handle far more complex wads though (rekkr, btsx etc)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 32 of 41, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It appears that the SIGIL PWAD will only work with the Ultimate DOOM IWAD, despite the assertion in the README that it works with original DOOM. This is caused by references to the SKY4 skybox texture from episode 4 -- maybe it will be "fixed" in an update, at least in the compatibility version of the PWAD, or one could make a separate PWAD that includes a SKY4 texture.

Reply 36 of 41, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use my Pentium 166 Computer.
I have Ultimate Doom and Doom II working good with soundblaster AWE64 digisound and midi out with SoundCanvas SC-88

I tryed to play with Ultimate Doom v1.9 under MS-DOS and after the beginning of the game, I got a Visplane overflow error. But sound and music were at the top.
I tryed with Boom and MBF, it works only with SB sound and music. The Allegro driver doesn't allow SB digit with MIDI Out or MPU401...
I really don't want to play under Win98SE.

Do you have an idea ?

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 37 of 41, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DataPro wrote:
I use my Pentium 166 Computer. I have Ultimate Doom and Doom II working good with soundblaster AWE64 digisound and midi out with […]
Show full quote

I use my Pentium 166 Computer.
I have Ultimate Doom and Doom II working good with soundblaster AWE64 digisound and midi out with SoundCanvas SC-88

I tryed to play with Ultimate Doom v1.9 under MS-DOS and after the beginning of the game, I got a Visplane overflow error. But sound and music were at the top.
I tryed with Boom and MBF, it works only with SB sound and music. The Allegro driver doesn't allow SB digit with MIDI Out or MPU401...
I really don't want to play under Win98SE.

Do you have an idea ?

I'm not playing on actual period hardware so I'm not sure I can help, but I've gotten it to work on both Boom and MBF (Prefer MBF at this point). All I did was run the asetup and choose the various irqs..etc needed for the digital sound. On the Midi I chose MPU401 and made sure to set the midi channel to 330 (It comes up as -1 initially). Doing that and it works through Dosbox just fine.

Not knowing anything about the Awe series cards (I went from the SB16 straight to an SB-Live! back then), I'm not sure if perhaps there is a resource conflict taking place in the allegro driver. Sometime I really need to fire up my 'old' k6-200 system with DOS 6.22 and Win95 on it again to test these kinds of things. Main issue is that I don't have any modern way to get files to that PC since it still has both a 3.5 and 5.25 drives on it. Would be easier for me to remove the HDD and put a bridge kit on it to write stuff directly to the HDD instead of fiddling with my USB to Floppy disk drive.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 38 of 41, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also tested it just now with MBF 2.04 (in DOSBox) and MIDI works with SB digital audio. You need to select MPU-401 (not SB MIDI-OUT) in Allegro setup.

In addition to manually selecting port 330 for MIDI in Allegro, I also had to manually change the sound_card and music_card in mbf.cfg. Apparently the Allegro setup does not propagate the value to mbf.cfg, so they both stayed at -1 (autodetect) and Allegro always prefers Adlib to MPU-401.

Setting both sound_card and music_card to 6 (SB16/MPU401) in MBF.CFG took care of everything.

Reply 39 of 41, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Played the free version all the way through (gzdoom). I did enjoy it, but now I'm mainly left with the itch for something that would take it up a notch.
Been a few years since I last had a go at current community wads, so after browsing some recent Cacowards installments, I've got Exomoon, Mutiny, and Strage Aeons lined up. 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]