VOGONS

Reply 120 of 548, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LABS wrote:

Just finished drawing the bracket, hope to get them manufactured during next week

1.jpg

Where do you get them made? Any chance to also make some for the Snark Barker? 😀

Last edited by root42 on 2019-04-13, 17:51. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 121 of 548, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LABS wrote:

If anyone is interested and wants to build the card yourself - DIY kits will be available soon for about 85 EUR (estimated)

Definitely want one. Put me in the list!

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 122 of 548, by Mihail1810

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote:
LABS wrote:

Just finished drawing the bracket, hope to get them manufactured during next week

1.jpg

Where do you get them made? Any chance to also make some for the Snakr Barker? 😀

Yes) and for other cards in my collection.

Reply 123 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fagear wrote:

Definitely want one. Put me in the list!

Done 😎

Mihail1810 wrote:

If not a secret, where you want order brackets?

root42 wrote:

Where do you get them made? Any chance to also make some for the Snark Barker? 😀

It is a local metalwork factory, minimum order is 50 pcs.

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 124 of 548, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, just want you to tell that I'd love to support this project if I could.
Unfortunately, I can't at the moment since I'm very short on money right now.
If you still need some tests for comparsion against a SB2, SB16, PAS16 or ThunderBoard, please let me know.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 125 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, just want you to tell that I'd love to support this project if I could.
Unfortunately, I can't at the moment since I'm very short on money right now.
If you still need some tests for comparsion against a SB2, SB16, PAS16 or ThunderBoard, please let me know.

Thanks for your support! 😀

Reply 126 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, this is how the assembled board looks like without a bracket:

bb_assembled.jpg
Filename
bb_assembled.jpg
File size
413.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0397.JPG
Filename
IMG_0397.JPG
File size
544.18 KiB
Views
File license

Measured the noise - compared to a prototype's -94dB this has around -90dB, still good, but must be better. I use an output relay with a delayed (2 sec) switch to eliminate speakers pop on power up, its coil is powered from an unfiltered 5V rail, probably there is interference and I should fix it.
Now there is a led near the output jack which lights up when the relay clicks - really cool 😎
The PB1 pin of the atmega is routed to H6 header now, it can be used for firmware debugging etc.
I wanted to use custom cables at first for PC SPK and CD IN, that is why these are 2 and 3-pin. But now I dropped it in favor of standard cables.
Putting voltage regulators between 2 rows of electrolityc caps was a bad idea too 😵
After making final corrections I will order 20pcs in ENIG finish for the kits. Brackets are still in production.

The list is opened, if anyone else wants the kit - you are very welcome.

Happy holidays everyone!

Last edited by LABS on 2019-04-20, 17:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 127 of 548, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ohhh, looks cool. One for me, please 😁

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 129 of 548, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, that board look awesome! 😲 Want one badly... 🤑

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 133 of 548, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How much would a complete kit (unsoldered) cost with shipping to the Netherlands?

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 136 of 548, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You guys really are messing up my retirement plans....How much for a kit shipped to USA, how much for a kit assembled shipped to USA?

Looks pretty simple to solder (just time consuming?), as there's no SMT/SMD, correct?

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 137 of 548, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another day, another eBay auction with another classic computer I want to push to the limit, and another search for the perfect parts. The DMA and IRQ selection options on this card look like they'd be perfect for adding Sound Blaster support to a Tandy TL, so put me down for one. Would prefer a prebuilt one, but a kit is fine if it has everything necessary.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 138 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello boys and girls! 😁

Today I received a first batch of PCBs for the kits in ENIG finish!

The hardest part was (of cause) making the metal brackets. It took about a month to find a proper solution, because the factory I was hoping for at first, made a sample which was unacceptable. They cut the form somehow ok, but were unable to bend it well:

PHOTO-2019-06-07-12-52-21.jpg
Filename
PHOTO-2019-06-07-12-52-21.jpg
File size
502.88 KiB
Views
File license

I tried other local factories, but some agreed to make only 1000-2000 pieces min, some had problems with bending as well, some wanted like 10 euros per one piece 😒
Then I tried to adapt several pre-made brackets from Keystone, Muco and other brands, but their mount configurations did not fit BlasterBoard's tightly populated controls area.
But once, desperately browsing for a solution, I bumped to this neat nylon holders, which fitted perfectly! It was a bliss! So I acquired standard blank brackets to drill them to my needs and mount them on a board using just 4 M3 screws. These holders are very strong and hold the bracket tightly with the board.

IMG_0702.JPG
Filename
IMG_0702.JPG
File size
585.17 KiB
Views
File license

The drilling is in progress right now and the brackets will be ready in 2 days 😀

So, the plan is. When the brackets are ready, everyone who asked me about acquiring the kit on this thread will get them in chronological order. I will send PMs with required details soon. The unassembled kit price at the moment is 85 euros (for those who order on this thread) + shipping to your country. For those who want the kit assembled - I can solder and check it for you for extra 40 euros as it has a lot of parts and takes a lot of time. I already have more orders than manufactured PCBs, so later requests will be shipped with about 2-week delay.

zoinknoise, lvader, Salient, kazmat, mil, dogchainx, MrSmiley381 - you are added to the waiting list, I will get back with details asap and yes, the kit includes all parts to build a working soundcard.

Last edited by LABS on 2020-01-03, 09:49. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 139 of 548, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ those "ears" as we call them here that this factory did not bend correctly are a huge PITA
Some months ago I was discussing this with marmes and dreamblaster and the later had a great idea: these 90 degrees screw terminals - more or less the same idea you had using those nylon holders but they require some pcb rework to be soldered on.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website