VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've got my Pi hooked up to an SC-55 Mrk2 using USB and I can play MIDI files back so everything is connected properly in Linux.

Anyone know if the Raspberry Pi build of DOSBox supports real MIDI hardware and if so what settings I should use in the config file?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, it does. Look into using aconnect (for CLI) or one of the graphical patch utilities such as Claudia.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 7, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks but I shouldn't need them as ScummVM for Raspberry Pi correctly lists my MIDI USB device as 'ALSA One' as an option in the configuration dialog without me having to install any additional software.

I'm now wondering if external MIDI support is even enabled in the Raspberry Pi build of DOSBox?

I also found this link which might help me to figure it out -> https://wiki.debian.org/AlsaMidi

Reply 4 of 7, by Ze_ro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was doing this on a desktop and not the the Pi, but it should be largely the same... Here's how I got my SC-88 working on Linux:

You need to find the port that ALSA has assigned to your MIDI interface... from a terminal, type "aplaymidi -l" and you should get something like this:

[zero@ptolemy ~] $ aplaymidi -l
Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
28:0 UM-ONE UM-ONE MIDI 1

I'm using a Roland UM-ONE USB MIDI interface, so here I can see that it's been assigned port 28:0. Now, I need to tell that to DOSBox by editing the configuration file. That file will be in ~/.dosbox and for me it's named dosbox-0.74-2.conf. If you open that file, look for the following lines that describe MIDI support:

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

You'll want to change those to this (obviously, change the port to whatever you saw for your device) :

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=alsa
midiconfig=28:0

Restart DOSBox and you should be good to go. Be warned that if you move the device to a different USB port, ALSA might assign it a different port number and you'll have to change the config file again. Hope that works for you.

--Zero

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A slightly more flexible way is to use the Midi Through device.

If aconnect -l showed as per Zero's post, run this on the command line:
aconnect 14:0 28:0

In the conf file:
midiconfig=14:0

This way, if you want to run a soft synth you can switch over easily.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ze_ro wrote:
I was doing this on a desktop and not the the Pi, but it should be largely the same... Here's how I got my SC-88 working on Linu […]
Show full quote

I was doing this on a desktop and not the the Pi, but it should be largely the same... Here's how I got my SC-88 working on Linux:

You need to find the port that ALSA has assigned to your MIDI interface... from a terminal, type "aplaymidi -l" and you should get something like this:

[zero@ptolemy ~] $ aplaymidi -l
Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
28:0 UM-ONE UM-ONE MIDI 1

I'm using a Roland UM-ONE USB MIDI interface, so here I can see that it's been assigned port 28:0. Now, I need to tell that to DOSBox by editing the configuration file. That file will be in ~/.dosbox and for me it's named dosbox-0.74-2.conf. If you open that file, look for the following lines that describe MIDI support:

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

You'll want to change those to this (obviously, change the port to whatever you saw for your device) :

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=alsa
midiconfig=28:0

Restart DOSBox and you should be good to go. Be warned that if you move the device to a different USB port, ALSA might assign it a different port number and you'll have to change the config file again. Hope that works for you.

--Zero

Great, thanks Zero and gdjacobs. This is exactly what I was looking for, will try it out tonight with my SC-55 Mrk 2 powered pie!

😀