Fastest emulators period

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 87, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get an nes or gameboy Emulator running on a 286 then call me 😉

I am curious though besides one gameboy emulator and a z80 cpm emulator were there any emulators for 286 machines?

Reply 42 of 87, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

neoragex was as fast as a neogeo which I used to run on a K6-233, ran every ROM I had too. Genecyst and zsnes (already mentioned) worked fine on that machine too (and I suspect they would work on lesser hardware just fine). Earlier versions of mame running classic non 3D arcade games upto say early 90's (such as NBA jam, Commando, iRobot, start wars etc) worked fine. tbh I never found speed a problem, it was more compatibility. I had various other MegaDrive and 32X emulators such as AGES and when they worked, were very playable, but at the time didn't support a lot of titles. Emulation for those systems was in it's infancy then. an N64 emulator I has (can't remember the name) struggled though.

On a P3/800 I used to run PSEemu and ePSXe which both played ISO's faster and higher resolution than a PlayStation ever could. I used to play Tony Hawks, Wip3out and various 3D beat-em-ups (EvilZone, Dead or Alive, Tekken) at 800x600 (PlayStation maxed out at 640×480) with ATi Rage Pro. Smooth as silk. I suspect lesser hardware would work too since the GFX was doing most of the work in these situations (say P3/500 etc). I was using WinUAE on the P3/800 at that time, which worked as fast as the Amiga500plus I used to have, can't remember emulating various other accelerators though, and probably not going beyond the Amiga CPU timings.

Reply 45 of 87, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 200MMX has no SSE. Actually I am preferring Emulators that run in Dos over the early pendants in windows on my Win95b setup. It seems that the Emulators for Dos are faster and better, even if they are started from the Win95-Desktop.

The early Css64-Version runs really good and does not produce sound stuttering or flickering image.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 46 of 87, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was messing around with the last DOS version (0.70??) of MEKA the other day on my 233MMX. It goes pretty well; seems to run most Master System / Game Gear games at full framerate and I didn't notice any emulation issues. Might be worth a try.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 48 of 87, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I checked "fellow" for Dos. This is so much better than "UAE"! on my P200MMX.
Though it does not use a 50HZ Resolution on my TFT, but 640x480 with 60Hz is just fine. Centered Image, Sound is good, animation is good.

Reply 49 of 87, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

neoragex? what version?

0.6b and 0.8c were the ones I used. I also used something called the "redblood bios", which as the name implies made metal slug 'blood' red instead of usual grey/light blue colour. 😉

dr.zeissler wrote:

what about the others (c64/atari-st/amiga/nes/snes/etc.)

As mentioned, zsnes had no problems with any of the roms I had iirc. Amiga was always WinUAE (but on a P3, bit later). I don't think UAE was that great at the time.

For Megadrive/Genesis (if you are interested), Genecyst was the best by far, but also AGES, Megasis and KGEN98 worked on my K6-233.

rmay635703 wrote:

I am curious though besides one gameboy emulator and a z80 cpm emulator were there any emulators for 286 machines?

I expect so, given that I used a PC emulator (PCTask) on an Amiga eons ago (before I even got a PC) to emulate DOS... which worked, albeit in a limited capacity, I suspect there were emulators on PC systems then too.

Reply 50 of 87, by Gertrude29

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
spiroyster wrote:

neoragex was as fast as a neogeo which I used to run on a K6-233, ran every ROM I had too. Genecyst and zsnes (already mentioned) worked fine on that machine too (and I suspect they would work on lesser hardware just fine). Earlier versions of mame running classic non 3D arcade games upto say early 90's (such as NBA jam, Commando, iRobot, start wars etc) worked fine. tbh I never found speed a problem, it was more compatibility. I had various other MegaDrive and 32X emulators such as AGES and when they worked, were very playable, transfers CDGbut at the time didn't support a lot of titles. Emulation for those systems was in it's infancy then. an N64 emulator I has (can't remember the name) struggled though.

On a P3/800 I used to run PSEemu and ePSXe which both played ISO's faster and higher resolution than a PlayStation ever could. I used to play Tony Hawks, Wip3out and various 3D beat-em-ups (EvilZone, Dead or Alive, Tekken) at 800x600 (PlayStation maxed out at 640×480) with ATi Rage Pro. Smooth as silk. I suspect lesser hardware would work too since the GFX was doing most of the work in these situations (say P3/500 etc). I was using WinUAE on the P3/800 at that time, which worked as fast as the Amiga500plus I used to have, can't remember emulating various other accelerators though, and probably not going beyond the Amiga CPU timings.

Thank you very much for this information

Reply 51 of 87, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote:

Don't know if it will run on a 286 but it certainly will under Dos. http://zboy.sourceforge.net/

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 52 of 87, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love it, when they still code something new and useful for DOS. 😘

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 53 of 87, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still plenty of embedded systems running on Dos.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 55 of 87, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiroyster wrote on 2019-07-27, 22:01:
dr.zeissler wrote:

neoragex? what version?

0.6b and 0.8c were the ones I used. I also used something called the "redblood bios", which as the name implies made metal slug 'blood' red instead of usual grey/light blue colour. 😉

So at rom launch when you see the unibios screen, push A+B+C together. In region chose Japan; I guess this should be uncensored with red blood

Reply 56 of 87, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-01-29, 06:38:
spiroyster wrote on 2019-07-27, 22:01:
dr.zeissler wrote:

neoragex? what version?

So at rom launch when you see the unibios screen, push A+B+C together. In region chose Japan; I guess this should be uncensored with red blood

I don't remember doing any of that tbh, I think unibios is something different? this was 20+ years ago though 😉. iirc it was a just a bios file that you put into the bios folder and ran neoragex, made the SNK logo red and had the red blood on metal slug. Don't think it worked with any other ROM (or at least I don't remember trying). I've probably still got it somewhere in my archives, will post it if I find it.

Reply 59 of 87, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there is even a c64 emulator for a XT/Hercules 😀

Attachments

• xtemu1.jpg
    Filename
    xtemu1.jpg
    File size
    90.3 KiB