VOGONS

First post, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a Asus P5A-B motherboard recently and decided to build a machine around it. Used my trusty AT case which has seen a few different builds in it now. I would like to Build a switch for FSB selection combined with Setmul for some speed flexibility. Overall really happy with the build.

Asus P5A-B 1.04 Motherboard
128mb PC100 RAM
AMD K6 III+ 450@500mhz
Innovision Mighty Banshee AGP Graphics Card
USB 2.0 Card
Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold with Simm Conn with 32mb
Reveal Sound FX Wave Opti Card with Crystal Wave Rom. (Really Impressed with this card, The Crystal Rom sounds really good)
AT Case
Pioneer DVD
Floppy
80 GIG WD HD
80mm & 120mm Fan for cooling

otKyAL5l.jpg
m3ujoJQl.jpg
CHuJSpLl.jpg

Reply 3 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A pleasantly stylish beige mini-tower. All it needs is a K6-III case badge, e.g. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/254193926158

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 6, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice looking case.

How is the 120mm fan connected? I can see something black on the top-left corner, but that's it. Does the case have a fan intake on the side? Doesn't seem it does, maybe the photo is reversed...? What PSU do you use and what OS do you run?

PS: Thinking of building something similar. I have a K6-2 450 and also an ASUS P5A-B (Ali Aladdin 5) AND a Voodoo Banshee (Ensoniq GB1000 3D Banshee 16Mb AGP)!

PS2: The one thing I don't like about this board is how the CPU socket is placed vs the AGP slot. It makes it more difficult to place a beefy cooler on the CPU.

Reply 6 of 6, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote:
Very nice looking case. […]
Show full quote

Very nice looking case.

How is the 120mm fan connected? I can see something black on the top-left corner, but that's it. Does the case have a fan intake on the side? Doesn't seem it does, maybe the photo is reversed...? What PSU do you use and what OS do you run?

PS: Thinking of building something similar. I have a K6-2 450 and also an ASUS P5A-B (Ali Aladdin 5) AND a Voodoo Banshee (Ensoniq GB1000 3D Banshee 16Mb AGP)!

PS2: The one thing I don't like about this board is how the CPU socket is placed vs the AGP slot. It makes it more difficult to place a beefy cooler on the CPU.

The Fan is connected directly to the PSU using an adapter. There are small holes on the side of the case which draw minimal, but some air into the side. The fan is just to move some air over the GPU mainly. It's got a 230Watt AT PSU installed and its Currently running Win98 SE.