Reply 240 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote:

Hi,

Is it still possible to have it ?

To test my player with it 😀

Sure, wrote you a pm. I'll be happy to try your player as well.

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 241 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice!
It works, set the rate to max 45400Hz with right/left buttons on selected file, but it is still showing 16000Hz below the card's name in file browser. The output is rather noisy compared to IT or FT for example. How do I change a volume level in Options?

IMG_0760.JPG
Filename
IMG_0760.JPG
File size
362.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 242 of 548, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
20190712_221154_resized.jpg
Filename
20190712_221154_resized.jpg
File size
127.85 KiB
Views
File license
20190712_220234_resized.jpg
Filename
20190712_220234_resized.jpg
File size
119.99 KiB
Views
File license

MM2XT also starts on the 4,77 MHz commodore XT clone (NEC V20 CPU) and detects the Blasterboard 2.0 nicely. I can go to about 11kHz with 4 channels before it starts skipping. About 18kHz are possible with two channels, anything above isn't working - not that I was expecting anything like that, too 😀

One tiny GUI issue I saw (or a missing check on a max. 4 channel mod): it does load a 6 voices mod, but as you can see in the second image, frame contents are leaking into the border 😀

@LABS: Already turned it off again, but I think the volume was controlled by +/- keys and the global SB kHz setting can be done in the main menu (pressing 'r') and then with left and right arrow keys.
I think the left/right arrows in the file listing do set the kHz for a single mod (since all others are showing with the global setting in the beginning).

Reply 243 of 548, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IT and Fast Tracker surely does the mixing in 16 bit, It makes a big difference.

To improve the sound quality, increase the volume with + / - Keys when you are on a module or increase the Global volume directly.
Volume in the Option menu is changed using a Mouse, or using the /V:xxx command line, with xxx from 1 to 100

We even may find a way to have the BlasterBoard applying the volume and do the mixing.
The PC can Apply the Pitch/Frequency and place all the channels samples in a buffer. Then use registry for each channel volume and the Microcontroller calculate the output. I Don't know how many channel could be mixed by your board 😀
Your DAC is doing more than 8 bit ?
The mixing speed may not be improved that much, but the sound quality, surely.

Added: You can also check if you are using the AutoInit DMA Mode, In the Output configuration, 'CD' should be selected.
Press Space to select/Unselect

Last edited by FreddyV on 2019-07-14, 21:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 244 of 548, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wrote my previous answer at the same time as you.

Yes, we can configure the frequency individually for each module. This way, we can put it to "the max" for each module.
Press tab to cycle through Module name, volume and frequency. Press delete to enable/Disable the default volume or frequency.

I know about the leaking values, Too lazy to correct 😀 the code was written originally for a 28 lines VGA mode.

I Believe that this card will me mostly used on XT / 286 machines. For other machines, we will wait for the SB Pro clone.
Then, with Mod Master, It can be used to the max. On 386 or more, they are better players of course.

Another Idea: Implement a "Fast" DAC I/O Mode, as you know that for a true SB, we need to wait that it is ready before sending a sample.

In this way, we can better use it in a Tandy 1000 with no DMA, or PC Junior.

If you want to do more test, you can come in the Mod Master thread, to no more polute this one 😀

Reply 245 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote:

We even may find a way to have the BlasterBoard applying the volume and do the mixing.
The PC can Apply the Pitch/Frequency and place all the channels samples in a buffer. Then use registry for each channel volume and the Microcontroller calculate the output. I Don't know how many channel could be mixed by your board 😀
Your DAC is doing more than 8 bit ?

The DAC is 8-bit at the moment.
Atmega is capable of doing some mixing, since it has 1-cycle multipliers (including fractional) and a 16-bit kinda adder onboard. Its RAM is limited to 2K, but look-up tables could be located in program memory.

EDIT:
Just googled for 'atmega328p mod player" and there are some projects, one is even capable of playing 28 channels

Reply 246 of 548, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, done my assembly video. I will do another video where I compare the features of all the cards I've collected so far 😀

https://youtu.be/CTttFyxQRvo

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 247 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice, thank you, Arne! 😀

It's a shame that the box was crushed..

Reply 248 of 548, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LABS wrote:

Very nice, thank you, Arne! 😀

It's a shame that the box was crushed..

Not your fault and everything survived ok. But always assume the worst with shipping companies! 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 249 of 548, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... did anyone try to setup the Blasterboard for Windows 3.1 FM MIDI?

I set it up as a SoundBlaster 1.5 using the drivers that come with Windows, but I don't get any FM MIDI...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 250 of 548, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got it. SoundBlaster 1.5 driver and Midi Mapper needs to point to the Adlib device on the last four channels. It was still pointing to the Jazz OPL3. 😀

Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 18.35.51.png
Filename
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 18.35.51.png
File size
775.1 KiB
Views
File license
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 18.36.12.png
Filename
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 18.36.12.png
File size
827.01 KiB
Views
File license

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 251 of 548, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

Ok, done my assembly video. I will do another video where I compare the features of all the cards I've collected so far 😀

https://youtu.be/CTttFyxQRvo

Just watched it, very nice 😀

And wow, I got mentioned in the foreword? 😊 I will definitely have to grab one of the next bunch now. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 252 of 548, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

Very nice! And thanks for reminding me about RAD - just realized there even is an updated version from 2018 (rewritten and extended, including OPL3 and Win compatibilty).

I'm also really looking forward to this sequel!

Reply 253 of 548, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RAD is awesome, I play Alloyran.rad everytime I am on a computer with some kind of FM Synthesis sound card on it 😎

Reply 254 of 548, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

I will definitely have to grab one of the next bunch now. 😀

You have quite a list of machines to try BB on.
I added you to the waiting list.

Reply 255 of 548, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last sunday I started (and finished) working on my Blasterboard. I'm happy to say the thing worked at first try after soldering everything together. 😀

BlasterBoard_WIP.jpg

BlasterBoard_002.jpg

BlasterBoard_006.jpg

BlasterBoard_008.jpg

BlasterBoard_008_Back.jpg

BlasterBoard_Overview.jpg

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 256 of 548, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LABS wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I will definitely have to grab one of the next bunch now. 😀

You have quite a list of machines to try BB on.
I added you to the waiting list.

Thank you 😀

Reply 258 of 548, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yay, my blasterboard has arrived.

Have to try and get it assembled today 😀

Crap .... 2/3rds through (installed Q2) and run out of solder. These boards consume solder like nobody's business. Will have to wait until tomorrow to complete!

Reply 259 of 548, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yay, the blasterboard 2.0 roars into life. Worked fIrst time too. Well maybe 2nd time, I put it in, powered the computer and then realized I forgot to plug the ATMega chip and it's DAC in, I quickly powered it back off and put the chips back in.

But yes, very loud and clear output, have prince of persia running in the background on it now!