VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 32, by FabulousFurlough

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More than the games, I wish I still had the TOOLS that I wrote. I wrote a tool that would strip Rob Northen's Copylock, and spit out a virgin .exe as if it had never been packed in the first place. I wrote a util that would unpack the .SQZ files that Titus liked to use, and they would go on to license it to Bethesda for a time. I wrote a generic Everlock cracker. And probably a bunch more that I've long since forgotten. If you made a protection, and then used it on multiple games, odds are I either had, or was making a tool to automate the cracking.

A later story. Reflexive.com. They used to ship all those Bejeweled like games. They had thousands online that you could download, install, and play for 30 minutes before it would exit the game, and demand that you pay for it before it would start again. They wrote their own wrapper and all of that for the games. I had a tool that stripped it off that you could automate. So, with 1 small app, you could crack all 2000+ games they had on their site. The same with PopCap games. I had a tool for them as well. 😀

Reply 21 of 32, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"The Humble Guys"? Those were the morons who plastered their worthless names right into the badly-deprotected executables. "Hope you enjoyed it", burped Bubba Shittybully, or whatever that idiot's silly name was. I have only seen one deprotect of a Rob Northen Copylock game from them (Beverly Hills Cop), and it was extremely badly done, not having a "virgin .exe as if it had never been packed in the first place", but the keydisk code still there with just the Int13 calls patched out.

Reply 22 of 32, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FabulousFurlough wrote:

You can definitely still send me a PM. I just can't reply. So, go ahead!

We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to
participate more to be able to use this feature.

As soon as this is lifted, I'll drop you a PM.

@newrisingsun:
I sense a lot of anger in you ? We can all see his name on the left, why pretend you don't know it ?

Stormlord was also protected by RNCL and released by them, granted the envelope was still there.
But then they didn't have all the tools and the internet.

Reply 24 of 32, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah Reflexive, I remember doing those too... also lots of those sites used Armadillo... like that was hard or something.

On the C64 I wrote generic protection removers or file rippers too. Ahh the days of fun.

Reply 25 of 32, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I regret loosing all my tools too, to corrupt floppy and old cdroms burned at 1x that developed mold under the layers. I'm slowly piecing some of my old code back together.

loosing old code is rough. Most of the code and tools I still have from back in the day are ones I didnt much care about, and the ones I'd wish I still had I've lost 🙁

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 30 of 32, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Before Rawcopy, Locksmith and Nevlock I used DAP and Crock. Good times.

Some of them contain real bad cracks, you start playing and half-way get hit by a nice dos-prompt,
or you fall through floors, that happened to me while playing flashback. Wizardry 7 helps you with
zero damage in melee battles,so you get slaughtered in a fight. Keep those originals write-protected.
I almost burned myself there 😊 by running it from A:

Reply 31 of 32, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Akuma wrote:
Some of them contain real bad cracks, you start playing and half-way get hit by a nice dos-prompt, or you fall through floors, […]
Show full quote
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Before Rawcopy, Locksmith and Nevlock I used DAP and Crock. Good times.

Some of them contain real bad cracks, you start playing and half-way get hit by a nice dos-prompt,
or you fall through floors, that happened to me while playing flashback. Wizardry 7 helps you with
zero damage in melee battles,so you get slaughtered in a fight. Keep those originals write-protected.
I almost burned myself there 😊 by running it from A:

True, since some cracks were made for a certain version of the game, they would not recognize some or mess others up.

Reply 32 of 32, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that was also a big problem, multiple versions, 5.25, 3.5 and cd-rom, not to mention regional differences. US version of the game, ahh too bad, thats what bit action replay/game shark too. The above games however had multiple checks put in deliberately by the programmers. So they'd crack only half the game depending on the amount of checks. So you would buy neverlock and still didn't get a proper solution for that game you bought.

Good times indeed 😁