VOGONS

First post, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Guys, SIV was coming up to it's 18th birthday and I have been trying to improve the support for elderly CPUs, GPUs and chipsets, but need help with testing.

Running SIV and what I would like

1. Simply running SIVxxx.exe should work, when it does please post the initial screen shot.
  2. Assuming SIV starts OK I would like the save files generated do doing Menu->File->Save Local so I can check things in detail. I am happy for these to be posted, PMed or emailed.
  3. If one of the save sections has an issue do Menu->File->Save->Save Selected and deselect that section before pressing [ Start ].
  4. If you spot any incorrect information please tell me what it should be.
Minimum System Requirements
  1. SIV works best with Windows NT 3.51 and later with rather less being supported on Windows 95 and later SIV32O just about works on NT 3.10 , but NT 3.10 does not have all the API functions SIV needs to work well.
  2. >= 32 MB of memory is ideal, but SIV32L has worked on a 4 MB Windows 95A system, it did not use SIVRES.dll + PCIDEVS.txt so the logos and PCI descriptions were absent.
  3. For pre Windows XP you need to use SIV32L.exe. I have attached the latest beta to this post and plan to update it as any issues are resolved.
  4. For Windows XP and later SIV32L runs OK, but it's better to use SIV32X, SIV64X or SIV64I.
  5. SIV32L should run without any of the other files, but the item descriptions and/or images will be missing. On NT systems you should not delete the drivers (.SYS files) as this will limit what SIV can report.
  6. By default SIV uses the Tahoma font which may not be installed on old systems. If it's not present SIV should still work, but I have attached a copy you could install.
  7. DBGHELP.dll +PSAPI.dll are absent from most NT4 and earlier systems so ideally copy the attached ones into the Windows NT system32 directory.
  8. If MSVCRT.dll is missing you will need to install the attached vcredist_60_x86.
  9. For native Windows NT 3.51 systems SIV32O should be used, but if you have the NewSell installed then use SIV32L.
Systems and GPUs I would like to test on
  1. SIV is designed for Windows NT so if you have both Windows NT/XP and 9X use the NT/XP system as more will be reported. Chances are that if something is zero or absent on 9x/Me the correct value will be reported on NT 3.51 and later.
  2. As Windows 9X does not support kernel mode structured exception handlers (__try { … } _except() { … }) in VXDs SIV can't sensibly use a VXD to read MSRs so struggles with Pentium III and later CPUs on Windows 9X.
  3. Any system with a pre Pentium Pro CPU, especially none Intel ones.
  4. Any system with a 3dfx Voodoo Banshee + Voodoo 3 + Voodoo 4 + Voodoo 5, S3 Savage + Trio + ViRGE or Matrox Millennium MGA-2064W + MGA-2164W+ XGI Volari GPU.
  5. Any Windows NT/2K/XP/... system with NVidia 6000 series or earlier (NV3 to NV44) GPUs. SIV will not report NVidia clocks on Windows 9X systems.
  6. Any pre Pentium II system with multiple CPUs especially an ALR 6x6 and systems with >= 4 CPU sockets.
  7. Any ASUS L1N64-SLI WS or /B system, ideally one with four core CPUs.
  8. Any DEC Alpha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha) system, SIV32L will run rather slowly so also download the native SIV32A DEC Alpha add-on and use that.
Generating logs if there is an issue with SIV start-up.
  1. If SIV does not start from a command window do SIVxxx -DBGINI -DBGTIM > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more which will trace the SIV start-up to SIV_DBGOUT.log which I need to be able to figure out the issue
  2. If there is an issue with [PCI Bus] do SIVxxx -DBGINI -DBGTIM -DBGPCI > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more
  3. If there is an issue with the GPU Infomation do SIVxxx -DBGGPU > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more
  4. If there is an issue with Disk SMART Monitoring on do SIVxxx -DBGSDM > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more

Thank you for all your help.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV64X.zip
    File size
    4.98 MiB
    Downloads
    190 downloads
    File comment
    SIV64X 5.70 Beta-04 for x64 systems
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    SIV32X.zip
    File size
    4.93 MiB
    Downloads
    157 downloads
    File comment
    SIV32X 5.70 Beta-04 for x32 systems >= Windows XP
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    SIV32L.zip
    File size
    4.83 MiB
    Downloads
    186 downloads
    File comment
    SIV32L 5.70 Beta-04 for x32 systems >= Windows NT4/9x
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2023-04-07, 17:56. Edited 387 times in total.

Reply 1 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Windows NT 3.51 + 4.00 additional DLL notes

On Windows NT 3.51 + 4.00 systems putting the .DLLs from Tahoma Font+DLLs for NT 4.00 + 3.51.zip into the same folder as SIV will enable more information to be reported. Menu->Help->SIV Lookup will report if they are missing.

file.php?id=156751

Note: WININET.dll is likely to be there on NT 4.00, but not on NT 3.51.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV32A.zip
    File size
    4.17 MiB
    Downloads
    96 downloads
    File comment
    SIV32A 5.70 Beta-04 Digital Alpha AXP add-on
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    SIV32O.zip
    File size
    2.23 MiB
    Downloads
    107 downloads
    File comment
    SIV32O 5.70 Beta-04 Windows NT 3.51 add-on
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    Tahoma Font+DLLs for NT 4.00 + 3.51.zip
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    122 downloads
    File comment
    Tahoma Font+DLLs for NT 4.00 + 3.51
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    vcredist_60_x86.exe
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Downloads
    269 downloads
    File comment
    MSVC 6.00 MSVCRT.dll etc..
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2023-04-07, 17:54. Edited 152 times in total.

Reply 2 of 1037, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See attached.

Pentium 200 MMX
64MB Ram
i430 TX Motherboard
Matrox Mill 2 8mb
Voodoo 2 12mb
Sound Blaster 32

red-ray wrote on 2019-08-22, 11:54:
mwdmeyer wrote:

Voodoo 2 12mb

Thank you, after checking the save file all looks to be as it should be. Given you have both a Millennium II and 3dfx Voodoo2 what does the 3dfx Voodoo2 do? I have just started adding 3dfx support and wondering, does/can it have a display attached?

No it just offers 2d pass through and full screen 3d.

I did manage to get a desktop working with Windows 2000 and a beta driver which was pretty cool, no idea how it worked!

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_J0J6H6.txt
    File size
    235.12 KiB
    Downloads
    358 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-19, 01:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 3 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote:

I did manage to get a desktop working with Windows 2000 and a beta driver which was pretty cool, no idea how it worked!

Thank you, was this on the same system? If so and you run SIV on Windows 2000 it should also report such as the Disk SMART + DIMM SPD information. I have just updated the first post to recommend using NT.

Attachments

• Menu Help SIV Lookup.png
    Filename
    Menu Help SIV Lookup.png
    File size
    54.01 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Menu->Help->SIV Lookup
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2023-02-06, 17:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 1037, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed the vcredist you provided on my T2130CS (486DX4-75, 24MB RAM, 960K Chips&Technologies VGA) with 95A, and both CPU-Z for Win95 and SIV32L cause the machine to completely lock up. I wonder what it's angry about? DOS mode utilities like SpeedSys work fine. Odd. I will thank you for providing the redistributable though -- I wasn't able to find an appropriate version on my own that worked with 95 A. I needed it for 7-Zip 9.20.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 5 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sedrosken wrote:

both CPU-Z for Win95 and SIV32L cause the machine to completely lock up

Thank you for trying out SIV, apologies for the lockup and I am pleased to hear 7-ZIP now works for you. Did you try SIV on your Pentium Pro NT 4.0 SP6a system and was it OK on that? Did it report the 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee clock speeds?

I would like to try and fix SIV and to do this I need your help in finding out where the lockup is happening. If the MSVC 6 remote debugger could be used this would be easy, but given what you said about the redistributable guess you don't have this.

From a command window please do SIV32L -DBGINI -DBGTIM -DBGPCI > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more or just SIV32L -DBGINI -DBGTIM -DBGPCI and post SIV_DBGOUT.log so I can see what SIV is doing when the lockup happens.

Reply 6 of 1037, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can test it on my Pentium 133 430VX system, I need to dig it up (I'll see if I can report back on 1st September, I'm not currently at home right now...)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 7 of 1037, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, SIV32L and SIV32X (either one) crashes on my Win2000 socket AM2+ system when it gets to "UEFI info" if I try to save a report.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 8 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

I can test it on my Pentium 133 430VX system, I need to dig it up (I'll see if I can report back on 1st September, I'm not currently at home right now...)

Thank you and no real rush.

bakemono wrote:

FWIW, SIV32L and SIV32X (either one) crashes on my Win2000 socket AM2+ system when it gets to "UEFI info" if I try to save a report.

Thank you for checking out SIV and I am rather surprised [uefi-info] is there at all on a Windows 2000 system. What happens if you do Menu->File->Save->Save Selected and deselect [uefi-info] before pressing [ Start ] ?

Please will you also do Menu->File->Save->Save System ROM and post the .ROM file in addition to the .TXT + .DMI files? My guess is that SIV is crashing while scanning the contents of the System ROM.

Reply 9 of 1037, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried it on my ComputerLab ST5500 thin client. Everything seems to work, but SIV disagrees with CPU-Z on whether it's a DDR1 or DDR2 system.

SIV_DDR1.png
Filename
SIV_DDR1.png
File size
25.71 KiB
Views
File license
cpu-z_1.86_ram_speed.png
Filename
cpu-z_1.86_ram_speed.png
File size
12.55 KiB
Views
File license

I'm pretty sure CPU-Z is correct here.

This is a very compact thin client; I haven't opened it up to verify this, because that requires breaking plastic tabs, but I'm pretty sure the RAM is soldered onto the mainboard (no SODIMMs.) Note that the CPU-Z 1.89.3 x32 beta in the other thread also has trouble reading this system's RAM info but 1.86 has no problem.

Also, the CPU is reported as a "VIA Eden 500MHz" running at 1GHz (5x200). I think this is a problem with the CPUID as it happens in everything, including CPU-Z, Windows's device manager, and Linux's /proc/cpuinfo.

Full report here:

Filename
SIV_PHOBOS.7z
File size
90.15 KiB
Downloads
256 downloads
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

CPU is reported as a "VIA Eden 500MHz" running at 1GHz (5x200). I think this is a problem with the CPUID as it happens in everything, including CPU-Z, Windows's device manager, and Linux's /proc/cpuinfo.

1. Thank you for checking out SIV and your excellent post. I have adjusted SIV, there is now a 5.41 Beta-17 and I noted:
  2. You are correct in that it should be DDR2 and Beta-17 should get all the memory timings correct. Note CPUZ fails to report tRFC.
  3. SIV failed to read the DIMM SPD data and Beta-17 should, does it?
  4. If you hover the mouse over the date/time on the 2nd line SIV will report how long it took to read the SPD data which I suspect will be rather faster than CPUZ, is it?
  5. Looking @ [Machine] the BIOS reports 1GHz, comparing the SIV CPU benchmarks for my VIA C3-M (Nehemiah, C5P) @ 800 MHz and your system I am pretty sure it's running @ 1GHz.

Please will you try Beta-17 and post both SIV_PHOBOS.txt + SIV_PHOBOS.dmi. The .DMI is a binary dump of the BIOS which contains the data reported by the [Machine] panel and SIV works better in test mode when I have it.

file.php?mode=view&id=67344&sid=a5da970d6c1131708659fd5f4d0c8934

Attachments

• PHOBOS.png
    Filename
    PHOBOS.png
    File size
    67.11 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIV Beta-17 screen
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 11 of 1037, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem! I tried the new build and it seems to be working fine; it detects DDR2 & reads the SPD correctly. SPD read time was 0.766s (CPU-Z 1.89 hangs there for at least 15s.)

main screen.png
Filename
main screen.png
File size
26.15 KiB
Views
File license
Read timings.png
Filename
Read timings.png
File size
28.98 KiB
Views
File license
machine window.png
Filename
machine window.png
File size
29.61 KiB
Views
File license

Updated report (including .DMI):

Filename
SIV_Phobos Beta17.7z
File size
245.07 KiB
Downloads
233 downloads
File license

I've done a couple other machines that might be of interest but I'll make a new post for them shortly. BTW big thanks for still supporting these old machines with your program, it's a really useful tool to keep around.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12 of 1037, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The other two I've done so far are my Shuttle XPC (Geode NX1750+Geforce3) and K6-2/500+Voodoo3+PowerVR, both running Windows 98 (so no detailed machine info, sorry...) Here's what I got:

K6-2+Voodoo3:

siv_k6.png
Filename
siv_k6.png
File size
29.18 KiB
Views
File license
siv_gpu info_voodoo3.png
Filename
siv_gpu info_voodoo3.png
File size
16.86 KiB
Views
File license
siv_graphics.png
Filename
siv_graphics.png
File size
18.46 KiB
Views
File license
SIV_PCI.png
Filename
SIV_PCI.png
File size
23.17 KiB
Views
File license

Everything seemed to read fine on this one, including identifying & detecting the clocks on my V3 correctly, although it doesn't seem to get much more else from the card.

The PowerVR PCX2 (Matrox M3D) in the system was not detected as a "GPU" but does show up in the PCI device listing. This is a dedicated 3D accelerator that does not have a video output, it communicates with the primary card (V3 in this case) over the PCI bus. Not sure how SIV handles multiple GPUs but just noting this in case it's useful.

System report:

Filename
SIV_MARS.7z
File size
37.47 KiB
Downloads
233 downloads
File license

Reply 13 of 1037, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shuttle XPC (Geode+Geforce 3):

Note: this system is running 98SE with KernelEX installed (the K6-2 doesn't have it.) Not sure that makes any difference. This is also a less "pristine" system meaning I've had it for a while & have swapped around graphics & sound cards/drivers a bit.

siv_main.png
Filename
siv_main.png
File size
24.85 KiB
Views
File license
siv_pci.png
Filename
siv_pci.png
File size
26.62 KiB
Views
File license
siv_graphics.png
Filename
siv_graphics.png
File size
14.07 KiB
Views
File license

Everything seems correct. It identifies the Geode NX1750 CPU as a "Mobile Athlon Thoroughbred", which is more-or-less the same thing... I'm not sure it's even possible to differentiate this model of Geode. The BIOS POST calls it an "Athlon 4 XP-M."

It doesn't identify the GPU on my GeForce 3 Ti200, although it does report it as an ASUS V8200T2, which is correct. It can't seem to read much info from the card.

When saving a report I get a crash at Section 103 [menus]. This happens every time, including on clean boot.

siv_menus_crash.png
Filename
siv_menus_crash.png
File size
36.45 KiB
Views
File license

System report:

Filename
SIV_ASTRONAUT.7z
File size
36.13 KiB
Downloads
239 downloads
File license

Let me know if you need any further info from these.

I also have another thin client running a 533MHz VIA C3 on a variant of the PLE133 chipset. If it helps I can try a run on that system too.

Last edited by xjas on 2019-08-23, 23:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

BTW big thanks for still supporting these old machines.

Thank you for checking things out and all now looks to be OK. The SIV start-up time is rather longer than usual which I think is down to the speed of the D: flash drive.

BTW the system seems to have a SO-DIMM with the AD2SHH1GS1WB-6EGE part number. When the memory is soldered onto the board I have never seen any SPD data. It does not report the manufacturer.

I suspect if you start CPUZ when SIV is active then SIV may whinge about this and if you watch Menu->Help->Lock Handle you will notice CPUZ holds the Global\Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method for an excessive time (> 1 second). Given SIV can read the SPD data in 0.766 seconds then I can't see why CPUZ can't.

I will look forward to seeing how SIV does on your other systems and hope there are no lockup issues.

Reply 15 of 1037, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote:

Thank you for checking things out and all now looks to be OK. The SIV start-up time is rather longer than usual which I think is down to the speed of the D: flash drive.

^^ yeah, drive D is a really slow USB stick. C: is only a 1GB IDE flash & is mostly taken up by Win2K so I make do.

Reply 16 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
Shuttle XPC (Geode+Geforce 3): […]
Show full quote

Shuttle XPC (Geode+Geforce 3):

1. Note: this system is running 98SE with KernelEX installed (the K6-2 doesn't have it.) Not sure that makes any difference. This is also a less "pristine" system meaning I've had it for a while & have swapped around graphics & sound cards/drivers a bit.
  2. Everything seems correct. It identifies the Geode NX1750 CPU as a "Mobile Athlon Thoroughbred", which is more-or-less the same thing... I'm not sure it's even possible to differentiate this model of Geode. The BIOS POST calls it an "Athlon 4 XP-M."
  3. It doesn't identify the GPU on my GeForce 3 Ti200, although it does report it as an ASUS V8200T2, which is correct. It can't seem to read much info from the card.
  4. When saving a report I get a crash at Section 103 [menus]. This happens every time, including on clean boot.
  1. Thank you for the report
  2. OK
  3. Looking @ Menu->Hardware->CPUID->CPU-0 I expect this is as good as is possible, does CPUZ report the same?
  4. For NVidia GPUs SIV uses NVAPI and your GPU is too old for NVAPI to support it. If it was an NT system SIV should report the GPU chip.
  5. I suspect this is down to a bug in KernelEX as I have never seen this before. Do Menu->File->Save->Save Selected and deselect [menus] before pressing [Start].
  6. If you uninstall KernelEX do Menu->Help->View Menus and/or saving [menus] work OK?
  7. Which version of KernelEX do you have and where can I get it from so I can see what happens on one of my systems and try to adjust SIV.
Last edited by red-ray on 2019-08-24, 06:21. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 17 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Everything seemed to read fine on this one, including identifying & detecting the clocks on my V3 correctly, although it doesn't seem to get much more else from the card.

The PowerVR PCX2 (Matrox M3D) in the system was not detected as a "GPU" but does show up in the PCI device listing. This is a dedicated 3D accelerator that does not have a video output, it communicates with the primary card (V3 in this case) over the PCI bus. Not sure how SIV handles multiple GPUs but just noting this in case it's useful.

Thank you for the report and this is the first time I have see SIV report Voodoo 3 clocks 😎 AFAIK there is nothing else that could be reported.

The NEC PowerVR PCX2 3D Accelerator is an Other Multimedia so is not really a GPU unlike the 3Dfx Voodoo3 which is VGA Controller.

On NT systems SIV does support multiple GPUs, 8 by default and -GPUS=<N> can be used to support more. Multiple should work on 98 and I got as below when I tried it, notice how SIV does rather better on 2003

Attachments

• RRK.png
    Filename
    RRK.png
    File size
    163.43 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    2003 with two GPUs
    File license
    Public domain
  • RRK-98.png
    Filename
    RRK-98.png
    File size
    65.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    98SE with two GPUs
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 18 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Note: this system is running 98SE with KernelEX installed (the K6-2 doesn't have it.) Not sure that makes any difference. This is also a less "pristine" system meaning I've had it for a while & have swapped around graphics & sound cards/drivers a bit.
When saving a report I get a crash at Section 103 [menus]. This happens every time, including on clean boot.

I installed KernelEx v0.36a and it's OK on my system, which version do you have installed?

I was planning to use the remote debugger to look into this, but as I don't see the issue can't, do you have MSVC 6 and know how to use it please?

Attachments

• RRK-98.png
    Filename
    RRK-98.png
    File size
    77.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    [menus] OK with KernelEx v0.36a
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 19 of 1037, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
bakemono wrote:

Thank you for checking out SIV and I am rather surprised [uefi-info] is there at all on a Windows 2000 system. What happens if you do Menu->File->Save->Save Selected and deselect [uefi-info] before pressing [ Start ] ?

Please will you also do Menu->File->Save->Save System ROM and post the .ROM file in addition to the .TXT + .DMI files? My guess is that SIV is crashing while scanning the contents of the System ROM.

I had a crash even with uefi-info unchecked (and this time it caused the system to freeze completely, I had to reboot and do CHKDSK and the whole nine yards), so I also unchecked bios-make and bios-option as one of those appeared to be the culprit. That worked.

This system uses Win2000 extended kernel, unofficial video drivers, and a CPU that is not recognized by the BIOS. Plenty of unusual stuff to see in here, no doubt.

Attachments

• Filename
    sivstuff.7z
    File size
    506.48 KiB
    Downloads
    246 downloads
    File license