VOGONS

First post, by Muffie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's the best PAC-MAN (clone/original/licensed) game for pure MS-DOS?
Can you share your opinion?

Deeply Appreciated!
Muffie.

Reply 1 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pure MS-DOS? You realize that you just posted in the DOSBox forum, don't you?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 12, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is an appropriate place to discuss DOS games. Any discussion that is relevant for pure DOS is also relevant for DOSBox.

I believe there is a licensed version of PAC-MAN for DOS, but the 1983 release (which I think is unlicensed?) is the best IMO. It uses a really nice CGA pallete and the controls feel really good. I think the behavior of the ghosts is not totally authentic (not a huge PAC-MAN player, so I can't confirm). The game feels a bit easier than it does on arcade.

EDIT:

Looks like it was licensed by atari
[EDIT: Link Removed]

Reply 3 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello, moderator here!

Marvin -> Software is the best place on VOGONS to discuss DOS software, gaming or otherwise. Moved the thread.

Warez (30 years old or otherwise) is not permitted here on VOGONS, link removed.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 12, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You couldn't download the game at the link, it just referred you to the NES classic. It had information like the publisher and the developer. It's Namco and Atari, btw.

This will have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEMLjqt0YtY

LGR reviewed this clone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G66KL-hxxKI

Reply 6 of 12, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was never really a DOS gamer, so I don't know which is the best Pac-Man, but if you want the most authentic version, then simply use a DOS version of MAME and play the original arcade version of Pac-man (plus, if you like, Jr. Pac-man, Ms. Pac-man, etc).

Reply 7 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I liked Packman best when I was very young. Played it many times on a Compaq SLT 286, too. 😀
It's Public Domain and shown in this old thread -> Re: The year is 1990 and you still have a PC/XT and can't upgrade. Which games are you playing?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 12, by Muffie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all! Sorry for posting not on the best suited forum.
About using MAME, of course I could always do that on my modern machine, but then I would be missing the nostalgic part of running something that was specifically made to that system.
All the Best, Muffie.

Reply 11 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Probably the old JROK PacPC, which also allows a tweaked mode to show the full playfield. It's a pre-MAME 'arcade perfect' (as far as dos clones go) attempt...

This.
It's the one I've always had and as far as I can tell it's darn close to the original.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.