VOGONS

Common searches

What do you drive?

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 918, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aren't cars a bit smaller in europe? I can see how a Rav4 can be considered a "larger car" there. I would imagine on some older roads something like an Excursion would get stuck.

wiretap wrote:
badmojo wrote:

Cars, don't talk to me about cars! Our 2002 Holden Astra (Opal in Europe I think) has been a trusty, boring work horse for the 10 or so years we've owned it but the auto trans is going and it's not worth spending money on it. I really don't like the idea of spending 30K+ on something that interests me abut as much as a washing machine but the kids are getting bloody huge and we want something big enough to handle weekends away, etc, so we're looking at a Toyota Rav4.

A Rav4 is very small. If you have kids + suitcases, it probably won't all fit in there unless you get a roof rack. My parents just got one, and it is pretty nice though. If you want something bigger, I suggest looking on the certified used market -- you can save $10k-$15k on a vehicle with less than 30k miles that looks and drives practically new and maintain a full warranty.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 321 of 918, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess miata always is the answer. Recently picked up this NB2 miata for track duty because tires+brakes for even a single track day in the GT-R is prohibitively expensive - like buying a Roland LAPC-I every time! Plus i needed seat time and wanted something I could drive 10/10s without worrying about stuffing it into a wall.

CKMzQfr.jpg

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 323 of 918, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote:

I guess miata always is the answer....

Appears to be in excellent condition! Which model/year is it exactly, 2001-2002? 1.8, 6-speed and LSD or am I not seeing it correctly? There were so many model variants in different countries... It's a very nice toy car, nothing more sporty and direct at this price range, but not ideal as a daily car.

Reply 324 of 918, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote:

Aren't cars a bit smaller in europe? I can see how a Rav4 can be considered a "larger car" there. I would imagine on some older roads something like an Excursion would get stuck.

Yes, as most European cities are centuries old with somewhat narrow streets and alleys. It would be fun to see someone driving an Excursion in Paris or Rome. 🤣 It also wouldn't fit a standard parking space very well. There are also drivers license limitations for big SUV's such as the Excursion which in Finland is considered a truck and requires a C-class license. Normal cars up to 2.5 tons (like a van) can be driven with a normal B-class license. That being said, a RAV4 is a medium sized SUV by European standards.

Reply 325 of 918, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Australia isn't in Europe FYI lads! A Rav4 is a probably considered a medium sized car here too now but it's big for us - I like small cars. The streets around here feel so cramped these days and I think it's because cars have gotten so much bigger in the last 10 years - they take up half the width of the road, and that's parked!

Bloody cars - where are these self driving eco bubbles I've been promised?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 326 of 918, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:
DaveJustDave wrote:

Yes, as most European cities are centuries old with somewhat narrow streets and alleys. It would be fun to see someone driving an Excursion in Paris or Rome. 🤣 It also wouldn't fit a standard parking space very well. There are also drivers license limitations for big SUV's such as the Excursion which in Finland is considered a truck and requires a C-class license. Normal cars up to 2.5 tons (like a van) can be driven with a normal B-class license. That being said, a RAV4 is a medium sized SUV by European standards.

While flat sharing in London I with an Italian and we got talking about cars, asked her what cars her family had a scooter, a Fiat Panda and the "big car" which was an Astra, I laughed and said how in Australia that's a small car. Although when where she lived (Genoa) even the Panda could feel big at times.

badmojo wrote:

I think it's because cars have gotten so much bigger in the last 10 years - they take up half the width of the road, and that's parked!

I think the same, our BMW 5 Series (no pic as its just a standard sedan) barely fits in parking spaces and its a common car in the UK, whats worrying is in the last few years crossovers and even ute's are becoming even more popular which are nice and big as designed primary for the North America market, or even Oz with its open spaces but makes no sense over here.

badmojo wrote:

Years away yet! we were promised hover cars before self drive, although I suspect a conspiracy between tyre manufactures is holding this back

Reply 327 of 918, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Australia isn't in Europe FYI lads!

You can't deceive me, I can read a map you know!

australia.JPG
Filename
australia.JPG
File size
28.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

About car size, it's evident that small cars have become the "medium car" of 2010's. Look what happened to Golf!

Reply 328 of 918, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:
DaveJustDave wrote:

Mwah a RAV4 is just a mid size SUV in Europe. In Europe something like a BMW X5 is considered a full size SUV. A BMW X7 would be considered anti social by many.

In my country many small business owners now buy Dodge RAM 1500s with a grey / van license plate to save thousands of tax € and convert them to LPG (such large American cars are otherwise unaffordable with the ridiculous petrol / gas prices and passenger car taxes over here).

Reply 329 of 918, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

While flat sharing in London I with an Italian and we got talking about cars, asked her what cars her family had a scooter, a Fiat Panda and the "big car" which was an Astra, I laughed and said how in Australia that's a small car. Although when where she lived (Genoa) even the Panda could feel big at times.

Italy is not doing very well and they have the highest gas prices in Europe, so it's not surprising that many folks drive old Panda's and Punto's over there.

Reply 330 of 918, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:
badmojo wrote:

australia.JPG

Did wonder how come Australia is still in Eurovision 😀

Reply 331 of 918, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Italy is not doing very well and they have the highest gas prices in Europe, so it's not surprising that many folks drive old Panda's and Punto's over there.

Definitely among the "best" but there are "better" right now 🤣 Your point is valid of course, just giving more data (Sep 2019, Euro 95 gas, price in Euro)

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
10.16 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 332 of 918, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for some reason when I saw Astra I automatically thought Europe. I figure you Ozzie's would be going on with your Utes and what not 😀

badmojo wrote:

Australia isn't in Europe FYI lads! A Rav4 is a probably considered a medium sized car here too now but it's big for us - I like small cars. The streets around here feel so cramped these days and I think it's because cars have gotten so much bigger in the last 10 years - they take up half the width of the road, and that's parked!

Reply 333 of 918, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an 01. Paint was horrible when I got it. After a bit of correction it looks good enough from 10ft away.

I don't daily either car..I have something more practical for that

konc wrote:
DaveJustDave wrote:

I guess miata always is the answer....

Appears to be in excellent condition! Which model/year is it exactly, 2001-2002? 1.8, 6-speed and LSD or am I not seeing it correctly? There were so many model variants in different countries... It's a very nice toy car, nothing more sporty and direct at this price range, but not ideal as a daily car.

Reply 334 of 918, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Definitely among the "best" but there are "better" right now 🤣 Your point is valid of course, just giving more data (Sep 2019, Euro 95 gas, price in Euro)

Capture.PNG

Hmmm it seems the prices are changed then. Last time I was in Italy the gas prices were outrageous. Norway at the top? Don't they have their own oil?

Reply 335 of 918, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:
You can't deceive me, I can read a map you know! […]
Show full quote
badmojo wrote:

australia.JPG

About car size, it's evident that small cars have become the "medium car" of 2010's. Look what happened to Golf!

You've clearly photoshopped this. Sharpies are okay, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 336 of 918, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

Hmmm it seems the prices are changed then. Last time I was in Italy the gas prices were outrageous. Norway at the top? Don't they have their own oil?

It's the absolute price, not in comparison with salaries. I mean that in Norway for example it doesn't feel that much expensive whereas in Italy it does

Reply 337 of 918, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:

Norway is gearing towards electric cars as the government is supporting it hard. No taxes for them, no road toll and free parking. Although parking and road tolls will probably come under scrutiny in the near future as the electric car takes over.

Reply 338 of 918, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2005 GMC Sierra 1500... single cab, short bed, vortec 4.3L V6, automatic, 2014 20" chevrolet aluminum rims, originals were 17" steel rims, AC/heater, aftermarket half din radio/cd player, keyless entry/alarm and 181k original miles.

Attachments

• trk 1.JPG
    Filename
    trk 1.JPG
    File size
    459.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • trk 2.JPG
    Filename
    trk 2.JPG
    File size
    442.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • trk 3.JPG
    Filename
    trk 3.JPG
    File size
    476.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • trk 4.JPG
    Filename
    trk 4.JPG
    File size
    402.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • trk 5.JPG
    Filename
    trk 5.JPG
    File size
    489 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se