VOGONS

First post, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to play around with .NET Core, so I made a utility that does the tedious process of extracting the iso, dropping the files into /win9(5,8,x), and creating a new bootable ISO for you.
https://github.com/rishooty/Q9xS

Why?
Yes, anyone could do this with CDBurnerXP, but 9x slipstreaming is often trial and error. There are many files that the OS installer doesn't like having changed, and some cabs it doesn't even like having recompiled at all (even with no changes). So this really is a tool that lets you experiment with 9x slipstreaming quickly, in combination with a VM. Find out which files you can and can't slipstream without causing problems.

Modifying your own cabs
I tried to make it so that it modified the cabs directly, but the best tools to do this were external and not exactly cross platform. Also, I'd have to make it load a list of known cabs that installation is ok with you modifying.

If you DO want to modify your own cabs, all you need is:
cabextract for linux and windows cygwin https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/cabextract.html
lcab for linux
makecab for windows, which all versions come with

The reason you need cabextract specifically is because it is the ONLY cab extracting utility I've found that's able to extract split cabs individually, thanks to its -s (--single) option.

Basically, use cabextract, overwrite your files, make a new cab from it. The OS installation doesn't care if the cabs are split and part of the same set, only that the particular file it's looking for is in the right cab. If it's a cab it doesn't like you modifying at all, you'll simply get a "ran out of memory" error.

What are my results?
I've managed to slipstream a minimal 98 disc with 120+ GB HDD support, and all the related ME replacements+patched fdisk+patched format to support it. Also Xeno86's Vcache.vxd which allows up to 1GB of ram without changing your config, a couple simple DOS replacements that don't break compatibility (NANSI.SYS, RECALL.COM, etc), support for DVDs over 2GB, and all of soporific's driverpacks except video and sound.

Basically, unless you really want to experiment to find out what breaks it and delete the proper files from /98, etc, try to keep things simple. I've failed to sliplstream SP2.1a/SP3.0 beta, and NUSB3.3/3.6. I've gotten NUSB to work in the past, but its only partial (USB1) and it has to be slipstreamed directly into the CABS, not just dropped into /win98. Modern SP3 will slipstream fine.

Have fun experimenting! Post your results here if you're interested.

[EDIT] Here's a collection of the update packs I've made so far: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZ8V2 … UjgXpSlYFMkzvAy

[EDIT Dec 27, 2022] New pack link: https://nx32430.your-storageshare.de/s/cdxf7jRKyjTaeHt

Last edited by rishooty on 2022-12-27, 16:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shameless self bump.

I've massively improved slipstream success by implementing the editing of layout.inf files to reflect updates.

This has allowed me to successfully slipstream Windows 95 OSR Unofficial SP1 1.0.5, complete 120GB HDD support (including fdisk, format, etc), and the 2.1GHZ CPU limitation patch into OSR2.5 w/ IE integration removed. The only quirk was that I had to delete rpcrt4.dll from Unofficial SP1.

You can grab the update pack here: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZ6um … HXGNQAn6zSNp0jy

Reply 6 of 48, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's interesting. Mainly most people around here are just using the retro system for gaming, and so unless a hotfix or a patch will either improve system stability, or compatibility than its not of much use for someone who doesn't have a problem getting their games to run.

Problem I have with all of those service packs is for the most part unless your hardware or software configuration has a specific irregularity or issue that a specific patch will solve, your games run just fine. But when you do need to patch for specific problems most of the time you only need one of these patches or a couple patches to get everything stable not like 300 patches that just make the computer slower and do nothing for FPS of stability to play a game.

All that being said, It would be great to have some alternative service pack unlike 2.1 and 3.6 and all of the jazz that only contained patches that actually effect gaming and hardware stability. Something that was no less than 20 updates or something that actually improved gaming performance and stability. Because lets be real no amount of updates are going to make 98se a modern OS that can be used as a daily driver, unlike 2000 or XP. 😀 Which can still be barely used as a daily driver. 😵

Reply 7 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

Does the memory patch work on systems with greater than 1gb of memory? Setting all that up can be a real pain.

It can if you adjust your vcache settings, but at that point you risk instability. You may as well purchase the real patch from RLoew, but his website seems to be down: http://rloew.x10host.com

Warlord wrote:

All that being said, It would be great to have some alternative service pack unlike 2.1 and 3.6 and all of the jazz that only contained patches that actually effect gaming and hardware stability. Something that was no less than 20 updates or something that actually improved gaming performance and stability. Because lets be real no amount of updates are going to make 98se a modern OS that can be used as a daily driver, unlike 2000 or XP. 😀 Which can still be barely used as a daily driver. 😵

I somewhat agree with your sentiments. See, I'm fine with patches as long as they're Microsoft official. That is how I feel however, toward unofficial patches. So the interesting thing is that Unofficial SP2 2.1a for 98 and SP1 for 95osr are mostly microsoft updates, and any unofficial is stuff they've added that they felt was essential. Mostly related to said issues of stability and performance, and hardware support like HDD capacity and RAM.

Unofficial SP2 3.6 however, is exactly what everyone on this forum as described: a complete abomination that mixes files from Win2000 and later when there's no reason to.

I made this tool precisely because everyone has different opinions on what an ideal 9x setup would be. I tested the application with a 98se disc that only had additional hardware support and drivers, then used it to make a 95se disc with only hardware support and a service pack that covers most of everything stability and performance wise. What you'd find ideal is completely different.

Reply 8 of 48, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:

It's interesting. Mainly most people around here are just using the retro system for gaming, and so unless a hotfix or a patch will either improve system stability, or compatibility than its not of much use for someone who doesn't have a problem getting their games to run.

Problem I have with all of those service packs is for the most part unless your hardware or software configuration has a specific irregularity or issue that a specific patch will solve, your games run just fine. But when you do need to patch for specific problems most of the time you only need one of these patches or a couple patches to get everything stable not like 300 patches that just make the computer slower and do nothing for FPS of stability to play a game.

I guess the problem with that is which patches affect gaming?
Like you I see no point in updating a gaming PC with OS that hasn't received support in years. I find the only update I need is Installer 2.0 and that's for deamon tools.
I know some people need the USB mass storage driver, but plenty of others don't. Some swear by the shutdown patches but I find that breaks my PC's from shutting down.

Some people just feel complete with windows as up to date as it can be, and I do get that.
But for us I think we are better off just applying the 2 or so hotfix's manually and knowing its a clean system

Reply 9 of 48, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why does it have to be ether alll or none for patches? Wouldn't it make sense to have the option?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have bought rloew's slipstreaming tools years ago - I have not really used them though... turned out for me that using the setup INI to do silent installs during setup was enough for my needs... so I actually wanted to see those utils again since this thread reminded them to me and @^&($*%(^*@$% google mail decided they are viruses and the attachments cannot be downloaded! horrible!
Luckily I found them in my HDD but still... 😒

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Why does it have to be ether alll or none for patches? Wouldn't it make sense to have the option?

Precisely why I wrote this. People can make their own "update packs" share them and distribute them with little work.

As for kolderman's request, it doesn't look great so far. I extracted all the needed files (it literally has a list of files to extract per os and per update) and tried it out in a VM. Problem is that many of Security Update cds updates were IE centric, and therefore explorer. I got a bypassasble bsod for a driver not being able to be installed, a few false positive file corrupted errors during 2nd boot, and on final boot explorer.exe refused to start and that was that. In order to accomodate your request I'd have to look up each and every update (thankfully there aren't many), and delete the files that are IE or outlook related. It would work if IE5/6 were slipsteamable, but alas they aren't.

On the other hand, if you guys have a "20 or so" updates you'd like to pick out from here:
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#98SE
And more specifically here, which are only critical security updates:
http://erpman1.tripod.com/w9xmeupd.html

I can throw together a "Vogons Approved" update pack for all of you. I sorta made this to eventually do that anyway.
Remember the files have to match whats on the original cd:
http://www.synthmind.com/Win_98_CAB_file_listing.htm.
So nothing IE related unless its IE4, and nothing DX related unless its DX6. The only exception to this rule is drivers, and I may be able to attempt NUSB again now that I learned how layout.inf works.

Reply 12 of 48, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of the best patches are unofficial ones but they are far and few in between and the official ones that matter are very few.

1. 98lite has the ability to shell swap 98se to use the 95 osr 2.1 explorer a very useful unofficial patch for very slow computers, however 95 explorer can introduce compatibility issues with some programs.
2. TCP IP stack 1.4 is a pretty decent upgrade along with modified vip386 and tcpoptimizer regs to increase network speed to facilitate faster file transfer speed.
3. Installer 2.0 is needed to install some things.
4. Direct X 7
5. some ME files like the defrag utility greatly increase defrag times when using tradition hard drives.
6. some of the VC visual basic updates might be important to run a game or some software.
7. rleow has a few useful patches for hardware compatibility. but most of them are not free, most people use the xeno86 patch for 1gb ram.
8. lists goes on but majority of the useful updates In my opionon are very small.
9. there are a couple patches to increase hardware compatibility but its probably less than 5 pathes for those and they revolve around HDD size, memory size or cpu speed, none needed for period correct hardware unless you are really trying to push it. The ones that cme to mind are the 120gb patch, io.sys update, fdisk patch etc.
10. Adaptec ASPI drivers are useful, not so sure if they increase speed or not.

TLDR those unofficial update packs introduce tons of unneeded bloat for just basic gaming and operating the computer, and just make the computer slower or can cause crashes.

Last edited by Warlord on 2019-09-12, 20:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good suggestions. Unfortunately many of them are not slipstreamable (beyond dropping in the EXEs so can you access them from disc after you're finished installing). Basically the HW support and ME files that I tested it with already are about it. TCP IP Stack 1.4 is a maybe, it depends on if it adds new files not in the original CABs. 98Lite is also a good one, but that should be optional and it already provides its own means to slipstream it I'm pretty sure.

Things you can't directly slipstream, I know you can make into a "post installation" script using some MSBATCH.inf magic. Unfortunately the tool that generates them still needs 98 to run.

And nah, I don't believe all the packs are bad, just every unofficial sp that was made by PROBLEMCHYLD rather than Gape.

Reply 14 of 48, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes you don't want some of these patches as they are meant for systems with ACPI and WDM-only drivers and these will f*ck your performance or even your configuration if you have a system with VxD-only drivers, or you actually want to use them for some reason, as for example, DOS Box support for your soundcard, modem emulation, DirectDraw6-7 apps or Glide in certain configurations. That's why i said before you have to tune your install for what you actually want to do with it. Isn't like these old Win9x rigs will be your main PC in almost all cases, but them will have an very specific purpose. Just install the necessary enough to accomplish that purpose. You don't need KernelEx for example, when you actually only want Win9x to use a specific win9x old game or app... Or you don't need DirectX9 when you will use a game that is optimized for Dx6 or 7... Although you would actually need it if your game is for Win9x Dx8+.

Reply 15 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hyoenmadan wrote:

Sometimes you don't want some of these patches as they are meant for systems with ACPI and WDM-only drivers and these will f*ck your performance or even your configuration if you have a system with VxD-only drivers, or you actually want to use them for some reason, as for example, DOS Box support for your soundcard, modem emulation, DirectDraw6-7 apps or Glide in certain configurations.

Huh. I've only ever worked with ACPI and WDM systems, so I never knew this. Really excellent point.

[EDIT] Looks like I got it done early kolderman. Here you go:
The update pack: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZbU6 … 7qViJzIFkM78a9k
The list of updates: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZuU6 … JpntqXgaYhCb4sX

Contents of SecurityUpdate2004Slip.txt:

KB 274548
KB 823559
KB 256015
KB 811630(partial)
KB 245729
KB 273727
KB 249973(partial)
KB 313829
KB 314147(partial)
KB 238453
KB 259728

Reply 17 of 48, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welp, I went through the update pages and narrowed it down to these. Which do you guys want, and more importantly, which do you guys definitely NOT want? I already filtered out everything related to printing, security, and ACPI.

• bhdd31.zip (120gb+ hdd support)
    scanfrag.exe (120gb+ hdd support)
    iosys98.exe (2GB+ DVD support)
    nusb24e.exe (USB1 support if at all, may or may not work)
    Q216204.exe (Fixes incorrect identification of some intel cpus)
    dst_9xme.exe (Updates timezone daylight savings to 2011)
    q253912.exe (1GB RAM support)
    Q272991.exe (Fixes networking errors)
    Q311561.exe (Fixes potential HDD corruption in MS-DOS mode)
    rootsupd.exe (Updates root certificates to 2008)
    Q271277.exe (Fixes hanging with removable disk)
    KRNL386.EXE (Fixes Stack Corruption)
    Q932590.EXE (Fixes Environment Variable Errors)
    Q926247.EXE (Fixes SNMP Memory corruption)
    98UPDSYS.EXE (Updates Intel CPU Microcode)
    Q249824.EXE (Fixes device add/remove errors)
    Q310695.EXE (Fixes an ambiguous error with DVD playback)
    293793USA8.EXE (Fixes Vredir Errors)
    Q277628.EXE (Fixes an ambiguous "access denied" error with VFAT.VXD)
    239696usa8.exe (Fixes hanging after suspend)
    278368usa8.exe (Fixes a memory leak with ATIMUNI.SYS)
    274175usa8.exe (Fixes copy errors when 8 levels deep in a CD/DVD)
    272621usa8.exe (Fixes Virtual Memory tab showing negative HD free sizes)
    qfe-winse-q245065-en.zip (Fixes an ambiguous error with usb keyboards)
    311561USA8.EXE (Fixes MS-DOS hard disk errors)
    306453usa8.exe (Fixes USB Stop Error)
    274370usa8.exe (Fixes Digital CD Audio errors)
    249146usa8.exe (Fixes Disabled Sounds with usb devices)
    249635usa8.exe (Fixes an ambiguous error with usb drivers)
    Q257821.EXE (Fixes winsock time-out error)
    Q240896.EXE (Fixes OpenGL IPF error)
    291362usa8.exe (Fixes hanging with USER32.DLL + USER.EXE)
    281533usa8.exe (Fixes USB Driver Trap 14 error)
    Q278456.EXE (Fixes vredir errors)
    Q269604.EXE (Fixes Directsound Error with DSOUND.DLL)
    253697USA8.EXE (Fixes OpenHCI Controller issues with fast pcs)
    273017USA8.EXE (Fixes Scandisk running on every boot)
    290831usa8.exe (Update to the above)
    258680usa8.exe (Fixes hang upon screensaver)
    237493usa8.exe (Fixes System Date error)
    236926USA8.EXE (Fixes prematurely transmitted packets)
    240075up.exe (Fixes usb issues with AMD CPU + VIA USB Controller)
    241052usa8.exe (Fixes issue with password screen)
    250514usa8.exe (Fixes access violation with SPOOLSS.DLL)
    Q192425.EXE (Fixes kerberos network error)
    4756US8.EXE (The classic shutdown supplment)
    Q246817.EXE (Update to the above)
    aspi_471a2.exe (updated ASPI drivers)
Last edited by rishooty on 2019-09-14, 08:39. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 18 of 48, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

can u add me scandisk and defrag. id probably remove nusb and make that optional becasue it cause error for people who uninstall internet explorer or shellswap. nusb 2.0 on that point is a lot more forgiving if i recall right but not sure.