VOGONS

HWiNFO support of vintage hardware

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 677, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WOW! That was fast!

Yes startup problem is fixed. HW info in my case is showing up correctly.

However it looks like it gets confused by my "SINTECHI HighSpeed SD to IDE" adapter. I'm running entire system off the SD card without physical HDD.
In benchmark section my Disk bench option is disabled. Rest of the benchmark runs well. It shows me results window. I was even able to use Save Report feature, but when I press "close" button I'm getting blue screen. Only Ctrl-Alt-Del helps.
I tried to turn on logging, but it appears that Benchmark feature does not log anything. Or because disc buffers were not saved on disk before with soft reset.
Sensors section works fine as well.

I have abused my win98 a lot over past 4-5 months. A lot of software and hardware installs and removals. So some blue screens might be natural. I'm planning at some point to do fresh install. So I will revisit this issue then again.

Reply 41 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vutt wrote:
WOW! That was fast! […]
Show full quote

WOW! That was fast!

Yes startup problem is fixed. HW info in my case is showing up correctly.

However it looks like it gets confused by my "SINTECHI HighSpeed SD to IDE" adapter. I'm running entire system off the SD card without physical HDD.
In benchmark section my Disk bench option is disabled. Rest of the benchmark runs well. It shows me results window. I was even able to use Save Report feature, but when I press "close" button I'm getting blue screen. Only Ctrl-Alt-Del helps.
I tried to turn on logging, but it appears that Benchmark feature does not log anything. Or because disc buffers were not saved on disk before with soft reset.
Sensors section works fine as well.

I have abused my win98 a lot over past 4-5 months. A lot of software and hardware installs and removals. So some blue screens might be natural. I'm planning at some point to do fresh install. So I will revisit this issue then again.

Thanks for the feedback. Well, that BSOD is really weird as the entire benchmark and closing that window is not doing anything at such low level, so there's no reason to cause a system crash.
We'll see if it happens after your reinstall.

Reply 42 of 677, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's see how my weird HP laptop will fare, it's not really that ancient per se, but that's about what I can do right now, as the P133 rig is undergoing repairs (need to get one of the mobo's VRMs "replaced"):

Attachments

• Omnibook2KVynix.png
    Filename
    Omnibook2KVynix.png
    File size
    371.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Summuary
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Filename
    HVynix.zip
    File size
    399.71 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File comment
    HWInfo Report: Debug file included
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Vynix on 2019-12-31, 19:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 43 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

Let's see how my weird HP laptop will fare, it's not really that ancient per se, but that's about what I can do right now, as the P133 rig is undergoing repairs (need to get one of the mobo's VRMs "replaced"):

Looks quite well to me, need to adjust some minor things only.
Thanks for the feedback!

Reply 44 of 677, by aka286dos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 98SE running on one of these thin clients: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5710/ w/ PCI Yamaha DS-XG 724F-V. I'm also using a sintechi SD card adapter for a hard drive.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWiNFO32.DBG.zip
    File size
    11.4 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ss.png
    Filename
    ss.png
    File size
    45.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 47 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xefe wrote:

I can't get cpu temps using a 2.0 GHz Northwood on a MSI 645E-Max U (SIS 645DX) on Windows 98. Using latest hwinfo32.

I don't think the Northwood supports internal CPU temperature sensor (DTS). There might be however a CPU sensor in the socket reported via the mainboard SIO/sensor.

Reply 49 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xefe wrote:

That's fair. But I can see cpu temps on speed fan and MSI Fuzzlogic.

Can you please post a side-by-side screenshot of HWiNFO sensors and the MSI tool showing the temperatures and fans?

Reply 50 of 677, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a reason for HWiNFO not running on Windows 95? I've installed IE3 and another required dll, now it will start, but nothing will show up and the program ends without any information.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 51 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

Is there a reason for HWiNFO not running on Windows 95? I've installed IE3 and another required dll, now it will start, but nothing will show up and the program ends without any information.

Yes, bringing back Win95 support would require a quite significant effort, which is probably not worth the amount of such systems.
Moreover, memory requirements of HWiNFO32 might be over the limit of many Windows 95 machines, 8MB is probably not sufficient.
I expect users with such systems might rather prefer HWiNFO for DOS - best option is to run it from a plain DOS 5/6 with HIMEM.SYS and DOS=HIGH to provide sufficient memory.
Windows 98 and NT4 is supported very well.

Reply 52 of 677, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same question I asked about CPU-Z and SIV. Do any of your versions need testing on VIA Eden, C7 and/or Luke CoreFusion? I have several ITX boards I will be starting to test next week, before I get into benching some of my older kit.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 53 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:

Same question I asked about CPU-Z and SIV. Do any of your versions need testing on VIA Eden, C7 and/or Luke CoreFusion? I have several ITX boards I will be starting to test next week, before I get into benching some of my older kit.

Sure, any reports are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply 54 of 677, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Possible to make a DOS version like Speedsys too?

GL1zdA wrote on 2019-09-05, 23:28:

What is the reason, that everybody wants to add support for vintage hardware to their applications?

Retro ftw 🤣

cyclone3d wrote on 2019-09-05, 23:44:

Maybe because all the newer stuff is already added and getting boring?

Exactly, releasing same crap every year...
Waiting for quantum...

Reply 56 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2020-01-16, 10:44:

I've got a Compaq N400C laptop from 2000. Windows XP. Downloaded latest version of HWINFO and when I launch 32bit exe my system stuck for a while and then reboots.

Can you please provide the HWiNFO Debug File of the crash as described here: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/read-thi … g-a-report.241/
I can then check the details.

Reply 57 of 677, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I'm getting BSODs I'm unable to enable debug write. Used this, added DebugMode=1 to ini file, but it didn't help.

If the welcome screen of HWiNFO is disabled, so it's not possible to reach the Settings screen, Debug Mode can be enabled by editing the HWiNFO32.INI or HWiNFO64.INI and changing "DebugMode=0" to "DebugMode=1".

BSOD i'm getting: https://sun9-67.userapi.com/c853524/v85352480 … YUxCU6FDGBE.jpg

Reply 58 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2020-01-16, 12:02:
Since I'm getting BSODs I'm unable to enable debug write. Used this, added DebugMode=1 to ini file, but it didn't help. […]
Show full quote

Since I'm getting BSODs I'm unable to enable debug write. Used this, added DebugMode=1 to ini file, but it didn't help.

If the welcome screen of HWiNFO is disabled, so it's not possible to reach the Settings screen, Debug Mode can be enabled by editing the HWiNFO32.INI or HWiNFO64.INI and changing "DebugMode=0" to "DebugMode=1".

BSOD i'm getting: https://sun9-67.userapi.com/c853524/v85352480 … YUxCU6FDGBE.jpg

Even if there's a BSOD, after reboot you should be able to see a HWiNFO32.DBG file in the HWiNFO folder. Please grab it and provide for analysis.