VOGONS

Searching for a CRT monitor

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed, and with my luck something always goes wrong -.-
Like my currenty AGP card ... stupid Nvidia give me one beep with 3 fast beeps unless the card is in at a werid angle then it works fine 😖

Reply 22 of 65, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a brand new in box Hyundai V995 19" CRT earlier this year. One small finnish PC shop still has them in stock, and their prices are not bad 😀 Probably not helpful for anyone on this forum though. It's not a trinitron, but still quite decent. It can do up to 1600x1200@75Hz.

crt.png
Filename
crt.png
File size
114.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CrFr wrote:

I bought a brand new in box Hyundai V995 19" CRT earlier this year. One small finnish PC shop still has them in stock, and their prices are not bad 😀 Probably not helpful for anyone on this forum though. It's not a trinitron, but still quite decent. It can do up to 1600x1200@75Hz.

crt.png

Considering anything with the word trinitron in it seams to bring a high price I don't think many people would pay for it anymore.
I never had a trinitron myself but i see a lot of Sony Tv's advertised as trinitrons aswell...dno if that means they are just as good as trinitron monitors or not 😖

Reply 24 of 65, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Auron359 wrote:

Considering anything with the word trinitron in it seams to bring a high price I don't think many people would pay for it anymore.
I never had a trinitron myself but i see a lot of Sony Tv's advertised as trinitrons aswell...dno if that means they are just as good as trinitron monitors or not 😖

They make good TVs for retro console gaming. I have a nice 28" model myself. I'd actually love a small 14" model but yeah, the resellers are all over them these days.

Reply 25 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duouk2000 wrote:
Auron359 wrote:

They make good TVs for retro console gaming. I have a nice 28" model myself. I'd actually love a small 14" model but yeah, the resellers are all over them these days.

I have seen a few myself a few PVM's and normal looking TV's but every listing I come across you know the seller asks a high price with "perfect for retro gaming" in the title 🙁
Even on Facebook marketplace its no better... £300+ for a 7" PVM 😖

Reply 26 of 65, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you do when your valuable CRT monitors stop working? Back in the day I remember they would typically last only 3 years before failure.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 27 of 65, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Repair it or find someone that can repair it for you I guess. The good stuff's too expensive to just chuck out and replace these days. Especially if it's something like a BVM or PVM.

3 Years sounds a little short though. I've been using my Dell Trinitron monitor and Sony Trinitron TV for a decade now and they're both much older than that of course.

Reply 28 of 65, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I actually went on the hunt today and had zero success. The most disheartening thing was asking each shop and being told they won't even accept CRT TVs/Monitors now 😢

Reply 29 of 65, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What sort of shops? I haven't seen a CRT in places like Cash Converters or any charity shops in years.

Recycling places are not keen on seeing CRTs anymore as the amount of lead in the glass makes them quite costly to recycle - they may also be become relatively rare to see at recycling centers now? I found my Dell trinitron (a rebranded Nokia 447F) outside the appliances recycling near my flat. I suppose, you should check your local rubbish dump - I think most people have disposed of them now, but I remember seeing a big trolley of CRT monitors at a dump a while back.

The sad thing about all of this is that we all pretty much disposed of our CRTs around 10 years ago, many of them got shipped off to other countries so they're pretty rare now - ebay and facebook marketplace etc are the best places to keep an eye on - since CRTs can't easily be shipped, unless they're super desirable ones like the 24" sony FW900, they usually don't go for all that much if it requires collection. Maybe put a search on ebay for all "("crt","trinitron","diamond","retro","vintage") (display,monitor,screen)" for anything within 20 miles or so?

Reply 30 of 65, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:

What sort of shops? I haven't seen a CRT in places like Cash Converters or any charity shops in years.

Recycling places are not keen on seeing CRTs anymore as the amount of lead in the glass makes them quite costly to recycle - they may also be become relatively rare to see at recycling centers now? I found my Dell trinitron (a rebranded Nokia 447F) outside the appliances recycling near my flat. I suppose, you should check your local rubbish dump - I think most people have disposed of them now, but I remember seeing a big trolley of CRT monitors at a dump a while back.

The sad thing about all of this is that we all pretty much disposed of our CRTs around 10 years ago, many of them got shipped off to other countries so they're pretty rare now - ebay and facebook marketplace etc are the best places to keep an eye on - since CRTs can't easily be shipped, unless they're super desirable ones like the 24" sony FW900, they usually don't go for all that much if it requires collection. Maybe put a search on ebay for all "("crt","trinitron","diamond","retro","vintage") (display,monitor,screen)" for anything within 20 miles or so?

For shops, I visit just about anything second hand or charity related. Some of them clear out houses and hold onto anything of value. They don't take the CRTs anymore but I've given them my number and explained I'm looking for one.

They don't let you take CRTs from my local scrap yard and what they did have there the other day looked like they'd been put through the ringer. I may at some point try and nab one in the future though assuming there's something decent there.

I agree that local selling groups are best. I have a lead on a 14" CRT TV locally via Facebook so we'll see how that goes. I might just fork over the cash for a 14" PVM though, just because I know it'll last. Monitor wise I already have my trusty 21" Dell Trinitron but I would like something a little smaller as well. They're still around, it's just not as easy to find them as it was a decade ago 😀

Reply 31 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duouk2000 wrote:
For shops, I visit just about anything second hand or charity related. Some of them clear out houses and hold onto anything of v […]
Show full quote
Thermalwrong wrote:

For shops, I visit just about anything second hand or charity related. Some of them clear out houses and hold onto anything of value. They don't take the CRTs anymore but I've given them my number and explained I'm looking for one.

They don't let you take CRTs from my local scrap yard and what they did have there the other day looked like they'd been put through the ringer. I may at some point try and nab one in the future though assuming there's something decent there.

I agree that local selling groups are best. I have a lead on a 14" CRT TV locally via Facebook so we'll see how that goes. I might just fork over the cash for a 14" PVM though, just because I know it'll last. Monitor wise I already have my trusty 21" Dell Trinitron but I would like something a little smaller as well. They're still around, it's just not as easy to find them as it was a decade ago 😀

Had a good look in my own city and surrounding area...no one accepts or sells CRT stuff anymore.. a TV sure maybe but PC stuff just ends up in the tip or recycled 🙁
So yea seams your only hopes now are online from people who still have them.
Also my Voodoo 5 arrived yesterday..and it doesn't fit in my PC case... my floppy and zip drive are in the way and because its a base case (not a tower) It can't be relocated. I wanted to avoid getting a tower since the PCs I had in the 90s were all base units which the monitor sat ontop of, Ebay seams rather empty for old cases now excpt this site which seams to be making them http://www.evercase.co.uk/index.php?route=pro … ategory&path=63

Reply 32 of 65, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Funny-Warning-Sign-You-Are-Being-Monitored-Sticker-Self-Adhesive-201580310177.jpg
Filename
Funny-Warning-Sign-You-Are-Being-Monitored-Sticker-Self-Adhesive-201580310177.jpg
File size
85.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 33 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Everyone

Still not bought myself a monitor yet.. and for good reason being the fact a few new monitors has been posted for sale, prices seem fair but still would like advice from more learned people.

1 - LaCie Electron 22 Blue II - Native resolution 2046 x 1536 at 75 Hz .. For £10 (can't find any information on it tbh)
2 - Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 92 - Currently £87 bidding 😖
Native Resolution - 1792 x 1344 at 68 Hz
Factory Preset Resolution Modes -
1600 x 1200 / 76 Hz
1280 x 1024 / 89 Hz
1600 x 1200 / 50 Hz
1280 x 1024 / 50 Hz
1152 x 870 / 50 Hz
1152 x 870 / 104 Hz
1024 x 768 / 50 Hz
1024 x 768 / 119 Hz
832 x 624 / 50 Hz
832 x 624 / 144 Hz
800 x 600 / 50 Hz
800 x 600 / 152 Hz
640 x 480 / 60 Hz
640 x 480 / 160 Hz
1792 x 1344 / 50 Hz
1792 x 1344 / 68 Hz

Reply 35 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duouk2000 wrote:

I'd chance the first one for a tenner over paying close to £100 for the Mitsubishi. The general specs for it on CNET seem quite good.

Yea the only thing i dislike about the ACie monitor is that it is black while my pc is retro beige 🤣 However the guy is selling two of these for £10 each ends in 2 days 0-o
The mitsubishi while at £87 right now has others with a BIN price over £300 .. might be a hint into how good it is so even sub £120 might be a steal but I dno. And don't forget there is still the Phillips CRT in my first post is still for sale at £55, lots to choose and all i have are resolutions and hz to compare 🤣 🤣

Reply 36 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right an update.. I am ditching the monitors from my first post, these new ones seam to good to pass up tbh.
Now after finding a Russian website and translating it I have found out the following.

LaCie electron 22 blue II - MAX Resolution - 2048 x 1536 and it uses Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube (same as trinitron aparently according to forums)
Frequency vert. sweep (min.) 50 Hz
Frequency vert. sweep (max.) 160 Hz
Frequency vert. Sweep (Max Res) 75 Hz
640 x 480 60 Hz
800 x 600 85 Hz
1024 x 768 85 Hz
1280 x 1024 85 Hz
1600 x 1200 75 Hz
1920 x 1440 75 Hz
2048 x 1536 75 Hz

Now the Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 92 while only "19 does have more reset resolutions but the thing I am noticing in my post above is that many of then can get over 100 hz while the LaCie seams stuck at 85 hz at best. Now goes the difference in Hz really matter betwee 70-120 with older games ?

Reply 37 of 65, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

120hz is nice but 85hz will be fine imo. It's only at 60hz and to a lesser extent 70hz that using them can become uncomfortable, at least for me.

The only downside is the 60hz at 640x480 for the occasional game that only supports that resolution, but if you can get it for a tenner I'd still give it a shot and see how you get on. Most of my gaming is at 800x600 and 1024x768 but ymmv depending on your hardware of course.

Reply 38 of 65, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duouk2000 wrote:

120hz is nice but 85hz will be fine imo. It's only at 60hz and to a lesser extent 70hz that using them can become uncomfortable, at least for me.

The only downside is the 60hz at 640x480 for the occasional game that only supports that resolution, but if you can get it for a tenner I'd still give it a shot and see how you get on. Most of my gaming is at 800x600 and 1024x768 but ymmv depending on your hardware of course.

The PC I had as a child was really horrilbe but what would you expect for £400 at the time, so I never had a big CRT (or a good one at that) not did I have anything you could call a decent GPU either.
Most games I played back then was AOE II and the expansion and a few odd ones like Grid Run and some weird Star Wars stratagy games. But with this build I plan to actually play games I never heard about like Quest for glory or kings quest, of does that also means DOS gaming to.
Lucky for me I managed to snag an Asus P3B-F 440BX with 2x ISA slots which came with faulty 512mb ram I replaced with a matching pair and a pIII CPU at 1Ghz on some werid slot 1 adapter card for under £60. Add an Audigy 2 ZS sound card and I thought I had something decent 🤣

Reply 39 of 65, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a 19" Lacie back in the day and it was huge. How much bigger must the 22" model be? Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into acquiring one of these.

Is this too much voodoo?