VOGONS

First post, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I gathered some boards and other parts for a socket 7 build I started finally with building the first one.

The parts for now are:
Motherboard - Tekram P5MVP-A4
CPU - AMD K6 -266mhz
RAM - 128MB PC100
GPU - AGP ATI Rage Pro (atleast that is printed on a sticker)
Soundcard - AWE32 CT3670
HDD - 16GB Disk on Module + 80GB Seagate Baracuda IDE
PSU - Liteon PS-5301 (From an ex HP workstation)
Case - Manufacturer unknown - Nice black, hidden ODD drives, 2x USB and sound on the front
Samsung CD-RW 52-32-52
Black 3.5" floppy drive

Pictures will follow later, now installing Win 98 SE and testing if everything finally works.
First set back was that the original DVD rom somewhere died while installing WIN 98 😵 It opens and closes but there is no reading sound or nothing.

Reply 1 of 3, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like a nice build. Why are you using a K6 266 MHz? I would at least go for a K6-2 450 (450AFX), those are pretty cheap to get. And there's a Chinese seller on ebay.com who still has some K6-2+ 550 in stock, 27€ including shipping to Europe. I bought from him and everything went really well. A few weeks ago the same model (afair, 550AFX) was sold on ebay.de for more than twice that price...

What model/make of DOM do you use and where did you buy it from?

My retro computers

Reply 2 of 3, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gex85 wrote:

Seems like a nice build. Why are you using a K6 266 MHz? I would at least go for a K6-2 450 (450AFX), those are pretty cheap to get. And there's a Chinese seller on ebay.com who still has some K6-2+ 550 in stock, 27€ including shipping to Europe. I bought from him and everything went really well. A few weeks ago the same model (afair, 550AFX) was sold on ebay.de for more than twice that price...

What model/make of DOM do you use and where did you buy it from?

I left the 266 in because it was the only chip I didn't test yet 🤣 I have a drawer full of AMD K6 version, the lowest one is a dead 166mhz and up until the 2+ and 3+ models.
In the future it will be upgraded, but first I need to check if the current bios version already supports the + version. Is HWINFO capable of reading what bios version is on?
The DOM is from KingSpec, 16GB but no version info printed on it. I have over 20 KingSpec DOM's in use and all still work really good. They came from Amazon and Ebay 😀

Found out that I need to update the Creative drivers, that is the next on my list. All the rest works good now after installing the VIA 4in1 drivers!

Reply 3 of 3, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed the extra usb patch and the large HDD patch for windows 98. My USB sticks are now recoginized as they should.
Still need to update the Creative drivers and connect the hdd light, reset switch etc to the motherboard.

Didn't have much time for the rest but if this is done I will take some pictures of this black beauty!