VOGONS

Reply 40 of 394, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Think my interest would be in a fully kitted (spare?) board only, as while I'd love a full unit I suspect cost + shipping to Europe would be unrealistic - if not then as long as such neat kit get saved by you guys I'm happy.

Weight is from here

https://web.archive.org/web/19970517193830/ht … vers/5_3b1.html

I'm also interested in this if they start getting parted out. Would any off the shelf cases be compatible with the I/O ports? (Not a deal breaker)

Reply 41 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

I think the power trends module is the voltage regulator for the CPUs? 😕

It should be a VRM for supplying the 2.8v core for cpu's, it might also supply the 3.3v cpu periph as I do not see any Vregs on the board itself.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 42 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

I'm also interested in this if they start getting parted out. Would any off the shelf cases be compatible with the I/O ports? (Not a deal breaker)

Don't think it'll fit a standard case without modification to the back IO area - I believe the case ZDS / NEC used was based on an Intel Columbus II carcass with a custom front bezel. The design of this case allows for various layouts of the stacked IO ports on a removable plate. I've attached the Columbus II TPS for info.

Filename
28295706.pdf
File size
379.02 KiB
Downloads
74 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 43 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soooo... got the system I ordered today.

The bezel survived! 😀

The L2 cache is indeed 512KB with the COAST module installed.

There aren't very many options in the BIOS at all.. but:
There is IDE support in the BIOS so I bet just populating the IDE header by the power headers will give us working IDE.

The DALLAS chip is not dead. I wonder how much longer the original will last for.

The power switch is an actual on/off switch and not just a temporary switch. I'l verify later tonight but that is definitely part of the reason why I couldn't get the spare board to power up.

I'll also map out the connections and post them.

I'll also weight the system.. expecting about 36 pounds.

Last but not least, the voltage reg module in this system came with the cover removed... so it looks easily serviceable if something messes up in the future.

voltage_reg.jpg
Filename
voltage_reg.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, so this is probably 3.3 V to the CPU with no split voltage. So if the board use up to P200, I'm guessing there is a multiplier jumper block somewhere? The absence of a jumper block has often been the stopping point for using higher than a P100 on socket 5 boards.

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of Vbaux, which the 1587 lacks. The 1585 contains Vbat (battery terminal input) and GND, as well as Vbaux. Can we use Vbaux with an external battery when the internal battery of the 1587 dies?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 45 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

OK, so this is probably 3.3 V to the CPU with no split voltage. So if the board use up to P200, I'm guessing there is a multiplier jumper block somewhere? The absence of a jumper block has often been the stopping point for using higher than a P100 on socket 5 boards.

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of Vbaux, which the 1587 lacks. The 1585 contains Vbat (battery terminal input) and GND, as well as Vbaux. Can we use Vbaux with an external battery when the internal battery of the 1587 dies?

There is a multiplier and an FSB jumper block. Look at the manual. It doesn't specify what the multiplier is, but it should be easy to deduce / figure out.

Yes, yes we can!
https://patents.justia.com/patent/5678019

And why do you think the 1587 lacks Vbaux? 1585 is DIP and 1587 is encapsulated package. The pinout is exactly the same according to the datasheet linked to earlier.

V.sub.BAUX --Auxiliary battery input required for kickstart and wake up features. Also supports clock/calendar and NVRAM function if V.sub.BAT at lower voltage or not present. Standard +3 volt lithium cell or other energy source can be used. Battery voltage must be held between +2.5 and +3.7 volts for proper operation, If V.sub.BAUX is not going to be used it should be grounded and auxiliary battery enable bit bank 1, register 01BH, should equal to 0.

V.sub.BAT --Battery input for any standard 3 Volt lithium cell or other energy source. This primary battery may be packaged with the integrate circuit (along with the crystal) or may be externally connected. Battery voltage must be held between 2.5 and 3.7 volts for proper operation. The nominal write protect trip point voltage is set by the internal circuitry and is 4.25 volts typical. A maximum load of .mu.A at 25.degree. C. and 3.0V on V.sub.BAT should be used to size the external energy source.

BGND--Ground for battery inputs

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 46 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think there are 4 multipliers, dependent on which cpus are installed - 1.5, 2, 2.5 & 3. 100MHz chips aren't covered, but the NEC table is more complete than the ZDS one

Z-WL CPU Jumpers.jpg
Filename
Z-WL CPU Jumpers.jpg
File size
179.9 KiB
Views
File license

Dallas chips are weird beasts - I'm working with a board atm which has its original one which will be 27 years old in a couple of weeks and shows no signs of failing 😲

Reply 47 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I need to take a look at the clockgen specsheet. With 3 jumpers for the fsb, that would indicate that there are possibly 8 different fsb settings.

I also have a couple 200Mhz MMX overdrive chips. I wonder if they would work in this board.

I also wonder if any of the K6-2 or similar would work with an interposer... hmmmmm.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 48 of 394, by cpushack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I need to take a look at the clockgen specsheet. With 3 jumpers for the fsb, that would indicate that there are possibly 8 different fsb settings.

I also have a couple 200Mhz MMX overdrive chips. I wonder if they would work in this board.

I also wonder if any of the K6-2 or similar would work with an interposer... hmmmmm.

Overdrives should work fine, K6-2s probably wont work in dual but would be interesting to try

NEC Proserva V Dual Pentium 200 Systems
http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33826

Reply 49 of 394, by cpushack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks like its $900 to ship all of them to me, (40 systems on 2 pallets), I may have to get just one set of them (20 of them),

NEC Proserva V Dual Pentium 200 Systems
http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33826

Reply 50 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The datasheet for the clockgen ios not available,, but I did find a cross-reference for one that the datasheet is available for.

Looks like we have 50, 60, 66 and a test mode (whatever that means). I wonder why there looks to be 3 jumpers for the fsb according to the table above.

Maybe one jumper is for the PCI clock divider? Or maybe the cross-referenced part isn't entirely the same thing. The on/off listing certainly looks like it isn't the same.

Maybe there were multiple revisions of the board and they didn't all have the same clock gen.

Attachments

• Filename
    ICS9159C-02CW28.pdf
    File size
    311.88 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 51 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

Maybe there were multiple revisions of the board and they didn't all have the same clock gen.

Would explain the missing IDE port connector but solder pads being there. Old lady is giving some static about buying another full computer even if the price is right 🙁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 52 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me of the VS440FX's clock gen. Not sure what test mode is for.

Did you get around to weighing the one system? Is it 56 lbs or 40 lbs?

Reply 53 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote:

Old lady is giving some static about buying another full computer even if the price is right :(

Best if they don't find out. That or they get desensitised and stop noticing.

Reply 54 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Reminds me of the VS440FX's clock gen. Not sure what test mode is for.

Did you get around to weighing the one system? Is it 56 lbs or 40 lbs?

My bathroom scale says 33.4 lbs.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 55 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the layout and configuration sticker form inside the case.

jumpers2.jpg
Filename
jumpers2.jpg
File size
929.87 KiB
Views
File license

I wonder what the reserved jumpers do.

I did a little bit of testing to figure out the undocumented multiplier and fsb settings:

Multiplier is J1A and J2A
1-2 1-2 = 1.5
1-2 2-3 = 2
2-3 2-3 = 2.5
2-3 1-2 = 3

fsb is J5B and J6B
1-2 2-3 = 50Mhz
1-2 1-2 = 60Mhz
2-3 2-3 = 66Mhz
2-3 1-2 = no POST - guess this is the test mode?

J2201 doesn't seem to affect anything. Probably need to test the different positions when benching. Maybe it is for some wait state or divider. It is right next to the RAM slots.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 56 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I could only find that single page PDF on the clock, and it looks more like a catalogue entry. Slightly OT, also beginning to wonder who actually makes the board, re possible revisions and am thinking it might be a later revision Intel OEM as it has some striking similarities to their ALTServer board - hell, even the cpu jumpers have the same names, though the Intel board has the single IDE header.

Also, odd re the weight discrepancy between actual and ZDS 😕 😕

Reply 57 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Also, odd re the weight discrepancy between actual and ZDS 😕 😕

He is not including the manuals, KB, mouse and software as listed on the Specs page. Guessing that could easily add 5 or more pounds....

Reply 59 of 394, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cpushack wrote:

Can these use a standard PSU or should I grab some spares?

Not a standard AT PSU. It has to extra connectors. A 3-pin with 2 wires (no idea what this is for) and an extra 6-pin - looks to just be 3 extra ground and 3 extra +5v.

Specs are:
+12v 12A
+5V 32A
-5v 0.5A
-12V 1A
+5vsb 0.1A

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK