VOGONS

Windows 3.x EGA Drivers

Topic actions

First post, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all.

Does anybody know if there's an EGA driver available for Windows 3.x that only runs in a 200-line mode?

I don't have an EGA monitor and don't want to spend money on one, but I want to use my CGA monitor for this computer. I'd like to run Windows 3.11 on it, it's a 20MHz 286 so it should be fine.
I'm currently running with the Windows 3.0 CGA driver, but I'm sure you know that the resolution is appalling and there's zero color to be seen.

I know EGA's 640x200 mode probably won't be that much better if at all, but I know that I'll at least have 16 colors instead of black and white.

The video card I'm using is a Zenith Z-449. It's a standard PC Chips 82C43x EGA card with 256K of video RAM, and while it does have a DAC, VGA output, and support for 640x480 with a special driver, I don't want to use this right now.
I have other EGA cards based on similar chipsets if this one is incompatible for some reason.

Reply 1 of 38, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, I'm getting very strange errors when installing and running Windows.

This happened during setup and I was returned to the DOS prompt:
IMG_20191106_150604.jpg

This happened when I tried to start Windows:
IMG_20191106_151103.jpg

Reply 3 of 38, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there!

I'm sorry, but I don't know of any ???x200 pels driver righzt now, except for the CGA in mono (640x200 pels)
and the 320x200@256c pels MCGA driver from Windows 3.0 MME.

In fact, even the CGA Hi-Res driver was just a fall-back. Quality CGA cards and portables/laptops also
supported the 640x400 pels "CGA" mode from Olivetti/AT&T etc, which WIn 3.x has drivers for.
IMHO, they provide a much nicer and cleaner picture.

Re: WD90C11 and AT&T Model 6300 video mode
Olivetti/Logabax/AT&T/Toshiba 640x400 hi-res graphics mode

The ???x350 or ???x?50 thing apparently was also important for compatibility.
If memory serves, VGA drivers from Windows 2.11 reduced 640x480 to 640x450 pels resolution
for maximum backwards compatibility with older applications (EGA applications, more precisely).
Vanilla Win 2.03 behaved normal in this way (640x480).
Source: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?665 … utoff-revisited

Anyway, good luck!
I hope you get things working! 😀

As a workaround, just install a secondary Hercules card.
It can display 720x350 pels, albait in monochrome.

The rarer Hercules InColor would give you 16 colours, though.
The latter would require sort of a multi-sync monitor, however. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 38, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rmay635703 wrote:

How much ram do you have?

640K base memory, and around 6.5MB of XMS. I had an EMS card (BocaRAM XT) but it stopped working, so I uninstalled it and REM'd the driver from config.sys

Jo22 wrote:

In fact, even the CGA Hi-Res driver was just a fall-back. Quality CGA cards and portables/laptops also
supported the 640x400 pels "CGA" mode from Olivetti/AT&T etc, which WIn 3.x has drivers for.
IMHO, they provide a much nicer and cleaner picture.

My EGA card, a Zenith Z-449, supports a special "ZDS mode" for 640x480x16 colors on multisync displays.

I don't own a multisync display, and I'm really not about to drop several hundred dollars on one right now. It's nowhere near in my budget.

Seriously, some of those monitors go for almost as much as I paid for my first car. What the hell makes them worth so much?

As a workaround, just install a secondary Hercules card.
It can display 720x350 pels, albait in monochrome.

I have several Hercules compatible cards, and most EGA cards can simulate a Hercules card and this is one of those.
I have a monochrome monitor, but I can't have a secondary video card. No expansion slots free. I can't switch to just a monochrome monitor either, because I need CGA/EGA for a few other applications.

EGA, Modem, Soundblaster, XMS, EMS, Multi I/O, Disk, Slot 8 (which, as you know, is different and really short, so none of my cards will fit or work)

The whole 350, 400, 480 thing means nothing to me. I just need it to display on a CGA monitor. I'm not planning on running any Windows games or much software at all.

Reply 5 of 38, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Seriously, some of those monitors go for almost as much as I paid for my first car. What the hell makes them worth so much?.

Resellers and the dollar/euro. Sometimes the same monitors go for 1/10 price here when it's not intended for the US/western EU market.

Reply 6 of 38, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

The whole 350, 400, 480 thing means nothing to me. I just need it to display on a CGA monitor.
I'm not planning on running any Windows games or much software at all.

Well, I see. Unfortunately, Windows 3.x wasn't meant for toy computers, either.

Plantronics mode (as used by the Plantronics ColorPlus card once) perhaps
comes closest to what you desire. That "CGA" like thing had additional abilities.
It was able to produce 320x200 in 16 colours and 640x200 in 4 colours.

https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/plantronics.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantronics_Colorplus
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?178 … ronics-Graphics

If you're lucky, you may find a Windows 2.x driver for that (there's one for GEM).
It would still work together with Windows 3.0's real-mode kernal, if you're lucky.

Another graphics mode would be that of the Amstrad/Schneider PC1512.
It can do 640x200 in 16c, like EGA can do. However, I doubt it was widely supported.
A handful of European games supported this mode, I think.

http://www.seasip.info/AmstradXT/pc1512disp.html

Same goes for the graphics sub system of the Sanyo MBC-550.
"It had much better video display possibilities than the average CGA card
(8 colors at 640x200 resolution, vs CGA's 4 colors at 320x200 or 2 colors at 640x200),
but it was not completely compatible with the IBM-PC.
"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBC-550

Anyway, good luck!

PS: I've attached some Hercules, CGA and EGA drivers that I locate accross the web.
The EXEs are self-extractors, it seems (quick test done in DOSBox on Raspberry Pi).

Attachments

• Filename
    herc_cga_ega_w31.zip
    File size
    547.86 KiB
    Downloads
    171 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 38, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote:

Resellers and the dollar/euro. Sometimes the same monitors go for 1/10 price here when it's not intended for the US/western EU market.

I see. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Is there a wanted or for sale thread somewhere around here for me to look at, or do I have to scroll around aimlessly and hope someone mentions it so I can DM them like some other sites?

Jo22 wrote:

Well, I see. Unfortunately, Windows 3.x wasn't meant for toy computers, either.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Toy computers."

It's a 20MHz 286 with a 287XL, EGA, 7MB RAM, and a 70MB hard disk. Would have been quite the machine in 1986-1987 when these parts were being made.
I just don't happen to own a proper EGA monitor because I'm not willing to sell my car. Is that really such a bad thing?

Plantronics mode (as used by the Plantronics ColorPlus card once) perhaps comes closest to what you desire. That "CGA" like thin […]
Show full quote

Plantronics mode (as used by the Plantronics ColorPlus card once) perhaps
comes closest to what you desire. That "CGA" like thing had additional abilities.
It was able to produce 320x200 in 16 colours and 640x200 in 4 colours.

If you're lucky, you may find a Windows 2.x driver for that (there's one for GEM).
It would still work together with Windows 3.0's real-mode kernal, if you're lucky.

I know of Plantronics, but I don't have a Plantronics card or anything compatible with it. I've got a box of video cards, it's half and half MDA/Hercules and EGA. Most of the MDA/Hercules cards are single chip with some RAM, and most of the EGA cards are based on some variant of the Chips & Tech 82C43x chipset, some with extra capability most without.

Another graphics mode would be that of the Amstrad/Schneider PC1512.
It can do 640x200 in 16c, like EGA can do. However, I doubt it was widely supported.
A handful of European games supported this mode, I think.

Like I said, I'm not looking to run any games under Windows. I don't think most will run well under a 286 no matter how fast anyways.

Specifically I want to run some old versions of productivity and connectivity software, hence the modem. I have other computers for games, this is not one of them.

PS: I've attached some Hercules, CGA and EGA drivers that I locate accross the web.
The EXEs are self-extractors, it seems (quick test done in DOSBox on Raspberry Pi).

Alright, I'll try some of these when I get home from work tomorrow. It's 1:30am here so I'm gonna sleep first.

Reply 8 of 38, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Is there a wanted or for sale thread somewhere around here for me to look at, or do I have to scroll around aimlessly and hope someone mentions it so I can DM them like some other sites?

There is a complicated way I sometimes use, I find auction sites and forums in nearby developing countries and look for sellers who ship internationally. Their prices are often outrageously low even compared to Hungary. I'm sure US citizens could do the same in Mexico where prices are probaly much lower.

Reply 9 of 38, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

It's a 20MHz 286 with a 287XL, EGA, 7MB RAM, and a 70MB hard disk. Would have been quite the machine in 1986-1987 when these parts were being made.

Windows 3.x, however, is a product of the 1990..93 era.
It was designed primarily for 386+ and VGA+
Version 3.1 no longer shipped with CGA driver - I guess they decided that 640x200 was not enough to be useful...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 10 of 38, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote:
Windows 3.x, however, is a product of the 1990..93 era. It was designed primarily for 386+ and VGA+ Version 3.1 no longer shippe […]
Show full quote
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Windows 3.x, however, is a product of the 1990..93 era.
It was designed primarily for 386+ and VGA+
Version 3.1 no longer shipped with CGA driver - I guess they decided that 640x200 was not enough to be useful...

That's what I meant to express, thank you.
640x350 was the standard resolution of EGA, as was 640x480 on VGA (and 720x400 in text mode, too).
Unfortunately, I can't change it, it simply was like that. 🙁
Even the Atari ST from '85 had 640x400 which was required by commercial/business software.

200-something and lower line modes were primarily used by video games and simple telegames consoles (pong, breakout),
since they allowed graphics to be displayed on cheap television technology of the day,
without requiring the tele game consoles to support complex interlacing.
On the bright side, this avoided or lowered flickering, too. 😎

Hence CGA is using it, too. A CGA monitor is like a cheap, cannibalized TV set with the RF modulator removed
and the individual Red/Green/Blue electron guns of the CRT tube wired up directly to a plug.
Well, that's utterly simplified, of course. There's also intensity for the RGB channels, etc. But in essence, it's true.

A CGA monitor can be seen as a modified TV set or an analog video monitor (C1702 etc) that was converted to digital input.
That's why CGA cards also generate Composite Video (Color VBS or CVBS) just fine.
In fact, the monochrome part, VBS, is related to syncronisation (VBS contains intensity "luma" and sync).
Sync is available at CGA connector pins 8 and 9 in separate form (horizontal, vertical).
Once combined, it results in a valid HV sync signal that can be fed into the sync input of an analog TV set (see SCART below).

"Modern" TV sets from Europe or Japan using SCART are essentially CGA monitors with built-in TV tuners,
even though their RGB inputs are analogue and do not contain filters for the digital (pre-defined, "fingered") RGB(I) levels
that CGA cards did normally spit out.

VBS was the original base band signal that was generated by, say, monochrome Vidicon CRT cameras and
was used internally for black/white television before it was sent to an RF modulator/after it was received from an RF tuner.

In essence, the early RGB color tube cameras had three separate monochrome camera tubes each, with filters applied to them.
Long story short, both television and analog monitor technology is heavily related.

Today, fake progressive modes are known as 240p or 288p in the retrogaming scene.
In simple words, for a TV set, such a specially generated non-interlaced 200 line signal looks identical to a
400 or 576 line signal sent in interlaced form (named 480i or 576i).
Edit: Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-definition_television

Again, this is just a very, very simplified description of the matterb and I'm speaking under correction here.
I just wanted to slightly dive into the mechanics and roots of CGA and its crappy 2xx line mode limit. 😉
(In theory, the original CGA circuit could do 640x200 in 4 colours if its address logic wasn't flawed.)

Anyway, if the OP is lucky, the OP will find a weird third party device driver for 80's Windows that indeed
supports that 640x200 resolution. Maybe it's worth tracking down old 5,25" driver diskettes that belonged to
other EGA or Super EGA cards. They may include this uncommon EGA mode simply for the sake of completeness.

As I said, if the driver is Windows 2.x Real-Mode compatible (compatible with plain Win 2.03/Win2.11
or Windows/286 editions) chances are good it will continue to run on Windows 3.0 in Real-Mode.

If that's not the case, then I can think of several other workarounds..

a) Replacing the CGA monitor by a cheap SCART TV and the making of a CGA-SCART adapter/converter.
Together with a switchbox and a VGA to SCART converter/adapter someone is able to get both native CGA
and VGA/EGA via that converter box..

b) Same as above, but going the Composite Video route.
Use the composite output of the EGA card (or "EGA" RGBI) along with its analogue RGBHV ("VGA") output.
By using a VGA to Composite converter box, someone is able to get CGA and EGA/VGA resolutions displayed.
A switchbox then can be used to change source signals.

c) Hacking the CGA monitor to support analogue Composite Video (CVBS), too.
Then feed it with a signal comming from a VGA to Composite converter box that's connected to the EGA card's EGA/VGA port.
An installed switch can then be used to connect/disconnect the Composite/CVBS connector from the CGA monitor.
Or some just uses an external switch build into the cable.

d) Just use a modern LCD/TFT monitor and a simple CGA-SCART circuitry.
It has inputs for VGA, SCART, Composite, RF etc.

f) Using a classic RGB or RGBI monitor with additional Composite (CVBS) inputs.
With the help of a VGA to Composite converter box, the EGA's RGBHV "VGA" DAC output can be
hooked up to the monitor via the Composite input anytime desired.
Source: https://youtu.be/niKblgZupOc?t=440

g) It may also be possible to hack a CGA monitor and remove the digital logic,
making it a normal analogue RGB or RGBI monitor..Thus turning it in some sort
of SCART TV that would accept signals comming from a converter box, too.

FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Pardon, I didn't mean to sound rude.

While I personally think Windows 3.10 runs just fine on a 286 (long time 286 user here),
given enough contingous memory (2MB, better 4MB+), VGA resolution and a reasonable fast fixed disk,
I can't deny the fact that it evolved from more advanced tech like Windows/386 and its 386 kernal.

CGA or 640x200, by comparison, was pre-286 tech, even.
The original IBM 5170 was introduced ~'84 with EGA and its IBM 5154 monitor.

Even on such an authentic setup, some Windows 3.1 programs may not run properly (appear cutted off).
The appoximate minimal viewport assumed by programmers was 640x400 to 640x480, along with the VGA standard palette (16c).
If you're lucky, your EGA card can simulate that palette, at least, since it was in turn based on EGAs beforehand.

Edit: Some edits, typos fixed.
Edit: Another update.
Edit: Link added.
Edit: Another idea added (f).
Edit: Another idea added (g) and link to releated thread ar vcfed.org added:
ibm ega +/- composite video modification questions

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 38, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The EGA card has a VGA output, but I don't own anything even remotely period correct on VGA. I think the oldest VGA monitor I have is some Dell E series CRT from the early 2000s. It's 1152x864 and doesn't fit well with a computer of the mid 1980s.

I don't have an EGA monitor of any kind. I have two PC compatible monitors - a Samsung MDA monitor whose power switch does not work, and a Sysdyne CGA monitor with a green/amber mode. Unfortunately it doesn't take an MDA signal in green / amber mode, it just tweaks the color channels.

If I wanted to use the VGA output, I would leave my Trident TVGA 8900C in there or use the VGA output on my EGA card, but I don't want some cheap black plastic television sitting on top of my computer, or worse yet a tiny little LCD.

AFAIK the 5170 was introduced in 1984 with MDA 5151 / CGA 5153 and EGA 5154 was released shortly after. While it was possible to have an AT shipped with EGA, I don't think the first batch of them were even available with it.

I don't want anything to do with SCART or standard RGB - I'm not going to buy 3 converters and a cheap crappy television just to have the same picture my CGA monitor will already display. That's completely missing the point.

I was just hoping for there to be a way to modify the Windows 3.x EGA driver to force it into a 640x200 mode for my monitor. It's a standard EGA chipset, like I said, it's a Chips & Tech 82C43x EGA card with 256K. It's a Zenith version with a DAC and a VGA output, but it still only does EGA. There's a special mode where it can sorta kinda do VGA in 640x480 16 colors from the EGA palette on a multisync monitor, which I do not have.
Here is another thread where someone shows off two identical cards:
Re: Heath 150-307-3 Chips EGA/VGA

Is there any way to either force the EGA driver into 640x200 or a way to modify my CGA monitor as it is to accept an EGA signal. I don't have any want or need for CGA. Everything I'm using is either text mode or low resolution EGA right now, I don't care if it utterly destroys compatibility with every game in existence since I'm not at all concerned with playing any of them.

Reply 12 of 38, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any way to either force the EGA driver into 640x200 or a way to modify my CGA monitor as it is to accept an EGA signal.
I don't have any want or need for CGA. Everything I'm using is either text mode or low resolution EGA right now, I don't care if it utterly
destroys compatibility with every game in existence since I'm not at all concerned with playing any of them.

I understand your point of view and i do try my very best to assist in finding a solution.
Unfortunately, not even full EGA is truely enough for Windows 3.1 anymore, yet alone in lower resolution.

If you try to run Windows 3.1 programs on a hi-res device, like the Hercules Graphics Adapter used to be,
you'll soon realize that many progrrams won't fit completely - the viewport is just not high enough,
thanks to both EGA and Hercules only providing 350 lines by default. 🙁

Ironically, a cheap double-height CGA spinoff that was used in several XT-based LCD portables,
like the AT&T/Toshiba/Olivetti graphics hardware, can actually run in 640x400x1,
which is a fine viewport for most Windows 2.x/3.x programs..

Maybe some people over there at vcfed.org forums can help you.
Trixter and the other fellows have a lot of indept knowledge of the old stuff.

Perhaps it is possible to slightly patch the Windows 3.X EGA driver to fit your needs.
It wasn't the first time that this worked, anyway.

The stock EGA driver of Windows 1.x got patched to 800x600 VBE.
Have a look at John Elliott's homepage (seasip page):

https://www.seasip.info/DOS/Win1/vga.html
https://www.seasip.info/DOS/Win1/win2vesa.html

Maybe it is enough to patch the EGA driver, but let Windows 3.x continue to use
the existing Windows system files (fonts, etc) and settings used for CGA.

Personally, I believe if you really want to enjoy your EGA card to the fullest,
it would be worth *considering* to give an other RGB monitor a try, like the Commodore 1084S.

I don't know if it supports intensity (RGBI) needed for all 16 of EGA's standard colors, but it has an extra Composite input.
By the press of a button, you could make use of both of your EGA card's outputs in the end.

Via Composite and a Composite-VGA box the monitor would display SD TV resolution of 640x480 (interlaced) then.
That's enough to display full VGA and all Windows 3.1 games and applications would be happy.
Even more, it would allow 80x25 textmode and higher color count (64 color "mode") reserved form 630x350 mode.
Also, most VGA-Composite adapters have down-scaling abilities, so you can display 800x600 pels as 640x480 on a TV.

Anyway,.. I'm assuming that your EGA card has a software overwrite feature that lets you change
the monitor settings on the fly. Or that the VGA output gets activated on its own if a video mode
exceeds 640x200. Forgive my ignorance, but my only EGA system is a Schneider Tower AT 286
with it on-board EGA disable (I use an OAK VGA card that has drivers for Windows 2.11).

Here are some samples showing that VGA via Composite doesn't have to look all that bad.
These fewe samples were taken with the help of an AverKey Pro converter:
320x200 (Loonies, Skyroads, demos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXTF4et1sE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcyDC2mGQa4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w22Yuy2bcY

And the Surfstation JNT (has internal S-Video/Composite converter)..:
640x480 (various)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSM-uUkklHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyQyCRyeWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2KabcXL4O0

Modding an CGA monitor for EGA is more tricky, I suppose, since full EGA isn't 15KHz anymore (rather 21kHz).
It also uses negative signaling, if memory serves. That would require some additiona logic, I suppose.

That reminds me of the ATI Small Wonder card, a nifty little fellow.. It could provide interlaced output.
Even on the RGBI output, or so I head. If that's really true, this would overcome the 200 line limit even on a true CGA monitor!
Alas, the card does not support EGA yet. But Plantronics, CGA, Hercules, MDA etc..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Wonder_series
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?173 … ics-Solution-v1

Edit: Here's another recent vogons thread covering both the AT Small Wonder and the C1084..
How to add CVBS-output to an ATI SMALL WONDER that omits it (instructions inside)

As you can see, both CGA (RGB) and Composite video can be displayed simultanously on such a monitor.
An affordable, period-correct C1084 or similar monitor should also work OK with your EGA card in CGA mode,
so you won't loose the crisp 320x200 graphics in RGB. No need for a cheap TV or a TFT.
Yoi could decide anytime if you'd want crisp 200 line CGA/EGA or higher res graphics via slightly blurry Composite.

yRfkKpom.jpg XqBUhSTm.jpg

Edit: Depending on the revision, the Commodore 1084 has two RGB inputs (in addition to Composite), actually.
One is linear analog (SCART connector), the other one is digital TTL (DIN connector).
They can be selected by a switch. Source: https://www.c64-wiki.de/wiki/Commodore_1084

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 38, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote:

Windows 1 includes an Egalowres driver for 640x200x16 colors

Thanks, mate! 😀

Your comment made me checking my copy of Windows 2.03.

It indeed has such a driver setting listed in Windows Setup,
albeit without mentioning the actual resolution..

Configuring Windows 3.0 for EGA and then borrowing egalosres.drv from Windows 2.03 install media did the trick.
That way, Windows 3.0 in Compatibility Mode (Real-Mode) ran in low-res EGA, or so it seemed, at least.

Attachments

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-11-08, 17:12. Edited 1 time in total.

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 38, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Configuring Windows 3.0 for CGA first, then editing system.ini and adding display=egalores.drv also worked and gave a better result.

Anyway, it still requires running Windows 3.0 in Real-Mode by typing win /r,
which reduces the amount of Windows 3.x applications it can run.

So a patched Windows 3.0 EGA driver would be nice(r) here..
(Edit: That one would work on Windows 3.1x, too!)

Still, the egalores.drv is better than 3.0's cga.drv, I suppose,
since it bring the cute old 80's icons back.. 😉

Attachments

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 38, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Impressive, but this almost borders on masochism. 😁

Would it be possible to disassemble the standard EGA driver and patch it for 200 lines?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 17 of 38, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

Impressive, but this almost borders on masochism. 😁

Would it be possible to disassemble the standard EGA driver and patch it for 200 lines?

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=32218

In a word yes, the above approach could be taken with Windows 3.0 video drivers

Reply 18 of 38, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! 😁

Changing mode numbers from, say, 11h to 0Eh in the process would be a start, IMHO.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/video/bios_video_modes.htm

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 38, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I asked for a driver from John and take a look

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =445724#p445724

Hope I didn’t overstep but honestly I’ve always wanted a Windows 3.x ega lowers driver too :0