VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 20, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DNSDies wrote:

EAX didn't work for me on Doom 3 until I used the original retail XP drivers.
You may need an older version?

I don't know, I don't have the card. Was merely asking for information.

That said, XP is just another OS as far as I'm concerned and I won't be investing in hardware just to get some XP exclusive feature, especially considering that my current XP installation doesn't perform the way I'd expect it in the graphics department.

Certain usage patterns will make it BSOD in the GPU driver and all Direct3D applications work with reduced performance and increased CPU usage when ran on my secondary screen or if just a tiny portion of their window intersects with the secondary screen. NVIDIA Control Panel thinks my main screen is a TV and won't let me add custom resolutions, also there aren't any options for preserving aspect ratio of the image. That's with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti and latest XP drivers (368.81).

I'm curious about whether a sound card upgrade would make any audible difference. There is an audible difference comparing my desktop PC's onboard sound to both newer laptop's and phone's sound, sounds a bit clearer on the desktop; used the same headphones, so who knows if better sound card would improve it any further or not.

There are mixed opinions on these matters so I suppose you can't really know until you try it yourself. EAX support on XP would be a bonus.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.