VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pandaknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, everyone. First post here.

So, here's the problem.

I got HotD 1 to install on my computer (directory C:\SEGA\THOTD, with the Setup32 fix).

When I click on the game executable it asks me for the CD. Fair enough. I mount the ISO on my D drive through PowerIso, click again... And it asks me for the CD again. It absolutely refuses to believe the drive is there, even though I've installed it from the CD. This is so far the only old game that fails to recognize the drive (well, that and Henry Explorers/Crypt Killer).

But this is not the only issue.

I create a shortcut, and add the -cd_nocheck to the path. When I click on it... The game still asks for the CD. If i mount the CD I can check the contents just fine, so it's not like the drive isn't recognized by the system. To get a sense of how something is very wrong, if I mount the CD and double-click the executable from the mounted CD, it will keep asking me for the CD.

Additionally, I've tried a RIP of the game (which I don't want to use, because I'm trying to mod HotD and I need to access the original files, and the ripped .exe has too many differences), and what happens is... It does not run. It gives me several errors with D3D. "Mode 640x480 not supported on this card" and "an privileged instruction was executed at address 000316be. If I try to run wgamecfg,exe, the same error pops up, only with address 000216be.

I'm at the end of my wits trying to solve this. I've installed nothing else since installing HotD, made no changes to registry, deleted nothing, and as I said before, it's the only old game I currently have that does not recognize the D drive. I've tried changing the drive letter from within PowerIso, but to no avail: the error persists. Any advice here? I know it's not an issue with my admitedly poor graphics card because I've ran the game on a similar system before.

My system is:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2637 CPU1.7Ghz
4GB Ram
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Reply 1 of 5, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't see 640x480 listed on Intel Graphics control panel, you might have to add it manually. It seems that they're dropping support for lower resolutions on newer drivers, but it's still possible to add them manually.

Reply 2 of 5, by pandaknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

Through the Intel Graphics Panel, I see I have 320x240 and 640x480 listed as custom resolutions, but I can't choose these through the desktop.

In the meantime, I think I I got HotD to run. But I spent the entire morning around with, having issues... It would start at 320, limiting access to the menu (I could only see Arcade Mode and PC Mode), but then the game proper would run at 640. Now, it seems I got it working by setting Win98 Compatibility mode and running with a -d3d on the shortcut.

This is all very weird considering, as I've said, in the past I ran the game on a laptop that was virtually similar to mine. I'll keep testing the game but I'm slightly scared it'll happen again because I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary.

Reply 4 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"I mount the ISO on my D drive through PowerIso"

"even though I've installed it from the CD"

which is it? Was it installed from a cd or from an iso ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 5 of 5, by pandaknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Just tried it here, Win7 64 bits. Ran out of the box, no compatibility mode needed.

Exactly the same on that other laptop I tried, but mine handled it differently. It may be a very slight difference, a driver version or something. I guess I shouldn't complain much now since it's been working fine ever since my last post... But I'll be on the lookout.

which is it? Was it installed from a cd or from an iso ?

My apologies, I used the terms interchangeably when I shouldn't have. I meant to say I installed it from D: (virtual drive, ISO mounted) but the game would not recognize it on the D: when I tried to play it. But as I've said, it's been working fine so... no worries for now 😀

Thank you all 😀