VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would be really impressed if anyone could even demonstrate to me a 98se computer in 2019 getting a malware or virus, from browsing the web, assuming you can even browse the web. 🤣 Because I have never seen it happen or read it happening to anyone despite all the times I have read about people security concerns.

Reply 21 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:

In my previous comments I mentioned a few USB WiFi adapters that work with Win98SE, but I forgot one. The WiBee XS-2204S is another cheap piece-o-crap USB WiFi adapter that also works under Win98SE.

However, awhile back I came up with a better solution. While USB WiFi adapters exist that work with Win98SE, none of them do it particularly well. A better solution is to buy a cheap old Cisco/Linksys router, install DD-WRT on it, and use it as an ethernet-to-wireless adapter. They don't need any drivers and don't consume any extra CPU cycles. Just connect to your ethernet port and go! They typically have four ports too, so you can connect up to 3 more computers as well.

I see old Linksys WRT54G routers at Goodwill all the time for about $4. Even the versions of this router with only 2MB flash storage can still run the micro version of DD-WRT. This is a cheap solution that works great and you get all the options and power of DD-WRT as well.

This is the most interesting setup IMHO
You can also buy purpose built Wireless Bridge from the likes of Netgear, Dlink, etc if you just want something that's "good to go"
You can also avoid wifi altogether and get power line adapters, which is what I do these days.

While I do have a few pre XP laptops using wifi I'm not really a fan and would chose any of the 3 above connecting to wifi overall

Reply 23 of 27, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:

I would be really impressed if anyone could even demonstrate to me a 98se computer in 2019 getting a malware or virus, from browsing the web, assuming you can even browse the web. 🤣 Because I have never seen it happen or read it happening to anyone despite all the times I have read about people security concerns.

The real problem is how do you know your infected ? As far as I know there is no modern anti malware/AV that targets 9x, even if you use offline scanning from anther system the modern AV might not pick up on a piece of modern malware built just for 9x.

Reply 24 of 27, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

WPA2 under Windows 98 isn't much secure due to the KRACK vulnerability.

It's still better than non-WPA. The cracks are not as trivial as WEP, and anything is better than no encryption. Besides, the WPA2 does not only serve Windows 98, but your entire network.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 26 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Malware doesn't have to be built for 9x. Alot can be be fairly generic using APIs that exist in all versions of Windows. 9x may luck out due to an API not exisiting.
Javascript, flash and java, activex controls works on browsers than run in 9x. Bios and MBR can be infected, etc.
Even without any of those a user can simply download and run an executable that could use the machine as a host to infect other machines (assuming the exe runs on 9x).

To prove no malware concerns them put a 9x computer in the DMZ and browse on it regularly as a regular user does and without and browsers add-ons and see if anything happens and then at the end of the week scan it with a modern malware scanner and if nothing pops up you might be able to assume 9x is safe on the Internet, doubt it tho.

Of course anyone browsing the web on 9x today likely went through the effort of perusing this thread and knows what addons to use and how to browse to stay away from some of the culprits:
List of Web Browsers For All Operating Systems

Is using the following to browse TLS 1.2 sites on Windows 95/98/ME
Opera 10.70 Build 3488 (Primary) / RetroZilla TLS1.2 (Roytam1) (Alternate)

or is using KernelEX w/ Opera 12.02 Build 1578 (Primary).

or is using a proxy to browse new websites on old browsers....mabye someone decides to target people using proxies, sounds like a good target to me.

As for protecting old machines with a modern AV I know that Barracuda proxy scans using clamav or Avira. I don't know of any free or open-source proxies that do this but I haven't kept up them.

ClamAV still works on 9x
https://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 27 of 27, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dan86 wrote:
Warlord wrote:

The real problem is how do you know your infected ? As far as I know there is no modern anti malware/AV that targets 9x, even if you use offline scanning from anther system the modern AV might not pick up on a piece of modern malware built just for 9x.

By using tools to see if it is running in memory, and looking through the registry. This isn't a difficult task You actually don't need to be an expert becasue it's not that complicated.

Again just becasue something is possible doesn't make it probable. There is also a difference between downloading a zip file full of sample malware and viruses and running though them just to see if one will run. And getting a virus by browsing the web. I actually have never got a virus by browsing the web on any version of windows using a Mozilla based browser. Then again I understand exactly what user interaction, and sequences would have to occur in order to possibly be infected that way. "key word user action"

My main argument is disregarding common sense, in which for this to happen you would have to have none... I be pretty shocked if you could not only get the web page that had some virus to display on a antiquated browser considering these websites are targeting flaws in modern web browsers, then get it to download and then get it to execute on 98se, then even if you managed all that getting it to run without the program crashing itself.

Once again it easy to theorize about, but providing proof is another story which I have never seen. And to provide no proof yet to insist that it happens I can't buy that. 🤣