VOGONS

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I messed up and hope there's a path to recovery that doesn't require reinstalling Windows 98 AGAIN.

I was trying to get Microprose's M1 Tank Platoon to run in '98, which involved telling the shortcut to launch into DOS mode.

When I click on the shortcut it naturally asks if I want to boot into the special DOS environment I selected. So the system reboots, but after it loads the mouse driver, the system just stops. Blinking cursor but no C:\> prompt. Nothing gets me out of this.

Rebooting simply has it happen again. Clearly the condition that 'DOS has been launched' hasn't been satisfied so it doesn't let me reboot into Windows 98.

Anything I can do to salvage this or must I wipe the drive?

Reply 1 of 3, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nobody replied, but for the record I figured out a workaround. I entered Safe Mode and moved the file that was causing the crash, so when it tried to launch it at next boot it returned a file no found error and dropped to a workable prompt.

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the pinned topic in this forum:

This forum is for running old Windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers