VOGONS

First post, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well completing this project went far beyond what I thought it would be. I started out wanting to rebuild my old K6 system about 6-7 weeks ago and work through issues that have plagued me in the past when I was short on time and patience with this setup. In the end while frustrating, trying to get that old system running well was a bit of fun and a great distraction in these times.
This started out as:
1. FIC PA-2013 v2
2. K6-3+ 450
3. 2x64MB PC100
4. Creative TNT Blaster
5. AWE64
These are the key components that I could not get consistently stable, all of this except the k6-3+ were part of my first build 20+ years ago, at the time it was a k6-2 300 which I no longer have as I de-lidded it out of curiosity some years ago, I also gave away my CT6670 CL V2 many years ago. I could shut this config down at night while it was running fine, and the next morning it was a like Betty White needing a Snickers. Needless to say after about a month I shelved this project for the next evolution, similar but better than the upgrade to this system some 20 years ago which started out as a BH-6 and a Celeron 300a and saw a few upgrades along the way.

What started out as a cheap project turned into me buying the following:
1. Abit BE6-II v2
2. PIII 800
3. Slocket adapter for the PIII 800
4. Golden Orb cpu cooler (later revision that snapped on, not twisted like the OG)
5. Creative TNT2 Pro (purchased to validate the TNT above was good/bad on the K6 build) overclocked from 125/150 to 160/170 via bios flash.
6. 2 x Matching STB Voodoo 2's with Tennmax coolers and 100mhz ram (initially bought a single rev c with 90Mhz ram even though it was advertised as 100 this was tested and works fine and will be re-sold) Picked these up on a WTB post over at the [H] and I have to say that I am really appreciative of being able to deal with established members without the Ebay BS on something like this.
7. Logitech Mouseman Wheel OG PS2 version.
8. Beige NOS IBM keyboard (purchased, but still in transit)
8. and a Beige FDD

The remainder of the build is based on the following parts I already had:
1. InWin A500 case (this was purchased new as part of my 1st build).
2. PowerMax 235 Watt PSU MFG by FSP (came with InWin case) and tests out fine at the 20 pin, as expected from a PSU of the era it's a little weak on the 12V rail coming in at about 11.8.
3. AWE64 (CT4520)
4. 3com 3c905b-tx
5. 2 x 80GB WD HDDs (one in a removable caddy)
6. LG DVD drive
7. 1x256MB and 1x128MB PC133

Things I would like to find:
1. Cambridge Soundworks PCworks 2.1 (handed these down to my ex and she tossed em.)
2. 17-19" CRT (not absolute on this right now simply due to the space it would consume)

I wanted to pay particular attention to the cabling including routing, even though there is no window, my ocd knows what's inside so it has to be as neat and functional as can be. Let loose the cable origami!

Attachments

• v2.jpg
    Filename
    v2.jpg
    File size
    430.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • lower1.jpg
    Filename
    lower1.jpg
    File size
    298.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • upward1.jpg
    Filename
    upward1.jpg
    File size
    423.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • overhead.jpg
    Filename
    overhead.jpg
    File size
    286.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • mmm_beige.jpg
    Filename
    mmm_beige.jpg
    File size
    179.8 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 12, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appreciate the kind words.
I finished playing through Quake II the other night for the 1st time in 20 years. Need to play through Quake as I've never really played it. I think Half Life is on the list as well for another play through too.

Reply 4 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can tell this is a labor of love.
Even the period correct CPU, V2 coolers are period correct, nice 😀

Reply 5 of 12, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zPacKRat wrote on 2020-06-29, 23:23:

I wanted to pay particular attention to the cabling including routing, even though there is no window, my ocd knows what's inside so it has to be as neat and functional as can be. Let loose the cable origami!

I really appreciate the cabling effort!
Folding flatcables is almost an artform!

One day I'll get myself the tools and materials to make my own cables.
Not only would you get the exact length needed, theres also that crips unfolded look =)
ATM I resort to making them rounded with some cable braid and shrink tube.

Reply 6 of 12, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-06-30, 15:25:

ATM I resort to making them rounded with some cable braid and shrink tube.

This is an interesting approach, has to bet better than the old rounded cables, those things tended to be bulky and stiff when you didn't want them to be. I assume you remove the plug then install the heatshrink/cable braide/heatshrink and then reinstall the plug?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-07-02, 04:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do people do to make their plastic turn so yellow? Some of my stuff yellows a little with age (30 years old), but I haven't managed to make anything piss yellow so far.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-07-01, 12:42:

What do people do to make their plastic turn so yellow? Some of my stuff yellows a little with age (30 years old), but I haven't managed to make anything piss yellow so far.

exposure to direct sunlight

Reply 9 of 12, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Added an 80MM Fan over the VooDoo II cards since I switched the 12 and 5 volt pins on one of the fan plugs to reduce the high pitch noise they made. So Molex to 1200ish RPM 80MM to 5v modded Tennmax to 2nd Tennmax. They run like a couple of cool champs at 100Mhz like this. without the 80MM fan they got toasty.

Attachments

• sli_fan.jpg
    Filename
    sli_fan.jpg
    File size
    285.57 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 12, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zPacKRat wrote on 2020-06-30, 16:56:

This is an interesting approach, has to bet better than the old rounded cables, those things tended to be bulky and stiff when you didn't want them to be. I assume you remove the plug then install the heatshrink/cable braide/heatshrink and then reinstall the plug?

The braid can be pushed together so it expands quite a lot.
Leaves plenty of room for the connectors to slide through if folded the right way.
The shrink tube is just barely large enough to do the same maneuver while allowing for enough shrinkage.

I use the 20 mm braid from here, tho I'm sure its some generic Chinese brand:
https://www.biltema.se/bil---mc/elsystem/kabe … umpa-2000041555#
And the shrink tube I use is 30mm wide, I think its the 20mm diameter from:
https://www.biltema.se/bil---mc/elsystem/krym … lang-2000041556

I considered using shrink tube with glue, but its not needed.
It stays in place just fine.

Reply 11 of 12, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zPacKRat wrote on 2020-07-02, 20:49:

Added an 80MM Fan over the VooDoo II cards since I switched the 12 and 5 volt pins on one of the fan plugs to reduce the high pitch noise they made. So Molex to 1200ish RPM 80MM to 5v modded Tennmax to 2nd Tennmax. They run like a couple of cool champs at 100Mhz like this. without the 80MM fan they got toasty.

Thats a neat fan bracket.
DIY or can they be bought?

Reply 12 of 12, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-07-03, 12:17:
zPacKRat wrote on 2020-07-02, 20:49:

Thats a neat fan bracket.
DIY or can they be bought?

from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VS6GVZX/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1