VOGONS

First post, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m currently setting up five retro computer which main specs are 233MHz MMX , 128Mb SDRAMM, Trio64 + Voodoo1

Im looking to play DOS IPX games aswell Voodoo1 compatible games.

Should I go with Win95 or Win98?

Reply 2 of 7, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
marxveix wrote on 2021-02-14, 09:18:

Both work, i would use 98Lite. Win95B if you use ps2 mouse, Win98SE if you use usb mouse.

I will actually use Serial mouse

Does Win95 have a better DOS game support?

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dos is exactly the same, It's the windows side that makes the difference
Win98 is a bit more stable and better drivers then Win95 but is also more resource heavy due to IE integrated into windows
98Lite marxveix mentions strips this back to the lightweight Win95 style explorer giving you best of both worlds.

Reply 5 of 7, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2021-02-15, 19:32:

If you only want to do DOS, why not just stick to DOS (7.1) only? Adding Windows just wastes hard disk space and increases configuration complexity.

well, 9x offers a performance advantage to DOS programs in terms of hard drive access, and things like memory management, adding a cd-rom or network are pretty much automated compared to DOS... if somebody never did that stuff in DOS there would be a bit of research involved, nothing too bad though.

Reply 6 of 7, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glide has games for Windows and DOS, good to go With Win9x.

Last edited by marxveix on 2021-03-15, 21:45. Edited 1 time in total.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 7 of 7, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say go with Win95. I have a Pentium 266mmx laptop, tried both Win95 and Win98 on it, and Win95 ran noticeably faster overall. Any games and software you'd want to run on a machine like yours would work just fine under Win95 anyway. I even have some games like SpongeBob Employee of the Month that say on the case that they need Win98, yet they actually work perfectly on Win95.