VOGONS

First post, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, does anyone have a list of part numbers of stock Intel 478 coolers that came with P4s and Celerons? Or some sort of chronology of them? I'm trying to understand the evolution of those coolers, which ones were the first ones, which are "better", which came with which models, etc... Been searching for documentation, be it directly from Intel or from reviewers, but it looks that no one ever paid attention to stock coolers and everyone went the aftermarket route.

There's so much variation that it's a headache!

Reply 1 of 15, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that most enthusiasts I know have always used aftermarket coolers. Have you tried looking at CPUs on sites like cnet or newegg? They are the best retailers when looking for graphics card specs (alongside reviews etc, when I can't find the original manufacturer specs on the wayback machine), so they may have that info. They seem to never delete old pages.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Late stock cooler had copper core and radiator fins were arranged in circle around it. Original was just plain aluminum radiator with variable Intel fans attached.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 15, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-03-18, 13:39:

Late stock cooler had copper core and radiator fins were arranged in circle around it. Original was just plain aluminum radiator with variable Intel fans attached.

Yep, but there are still a lot of different models, for example:

Round copper center with 4 main "arms" and smaller straight fins
cea5d8fc22cbab3c10e72c529d9f6197

Round copper center with thick fins in circle that get thinner and end up doubling up
41-06RhTv8L.jpg

Round copper center with thin fins in circles that don't get thinner and don't double up
D_NQ_NP_879024-MLM28764793689_112018-O.jpg

And also the more "normal" full aluminium block with no copper core, which also has several variations in thikness and shapes

Reply 4 of 15, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is only one reference model mentioned in the Intel guidelines below here (but there may be more).

Filename
24988903.pdf
File size
794.26 KiB
Downloads
55 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here an interesting overview:
http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p9.htm

Reply 5 of 15, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suspect that the models with circular fins are later models as intel used that same design on their stock socket 775 coolers.

The best way to figure this out is probably looking at new old stock open box CPUs to see which coolers came in the box. Any collector with a good range of open box P4’s could do it.

Reply 6 of 15, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Katmai500 wrote on 2021-03-18, 13:55:

I suspect that the models with circular fins are later models as intel used that same design on their stock socket 775 coolers.

The best way to figure this out is probably looking at new old stock open box CPUs to see which coolers came in the box. Any collector with a good range of open box P4’s could do it.

Yes, and also the copper core of those circular ones are way bigger than the one in the 1st picture.

Here are 2 of them side by side

image.png

Reply 7 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Round copper center with 4 main "arms" and smaller straight fins

That one was designed for middle-tier CPUs and has less weight and height. Usually was bundled with high RPM fans.

Round copper center with thick fins in circle that get thinner and end up doubling up

And that one was designed for top-tier CPUs and if fact was bundled with Pentium 4 Extreme.

Round copper center with thin fins in circles that don't get thinner and don't double up

From my understanding it's just earlier revision of cooler above.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 15, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-03-18, 16:43:

I also have a S478 P4 stock cooler with copper base plate and straight aluminium fins somewhere.

Maybe thinking of this one which came with my original boxed P4 3.067 GHz / 533MHz (SL6S5)

P4 Hsink.jpg
Filename
P4 Hsink.jpg
File size
95.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-03-19, 03:22:
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-03-18, 16:43:

I also have a S478 P4 stock cooler with copper base plate and straight aluminium fins somewhere.

Maybe thinking of this one which came with my original boxed P4 3.067 GHz / 533MHz (SL6S5)

P4 Hsink.jpg

I think that's the one. Mine came with a 3.2GHz Northwood.

Reply 12 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Katmai500 wrote on 2021-03-18, 13:55:

I think this is OPs best bet.

I've seen many of these stock HSFs but I never recorded what CPU was found beneath what stock HSF. But I do know that the stock HSFs became somewhat beefier as the CPUs became hotter and hotter. My guess is that especially Presshot motivated Intel to beef up its stock HSF design.
I'm reasonably sure that newer CPUs with a not top-high TDP could have gotten smaller HSFs. It's possible Intel used more than one design stock s478 HSF simultaneously.

EDIT: It may be possible that the stock HSF got an extra redesign with Intels introduction of BTX even though BTX (iirc) didn't affect s478 directly.
It could be quite the challenge to figure out which HSF came with which CPU without having access to boxed stock units. But tbf, Intel seemed to be redesigning its stock HSFs almost constantly at the time.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-03-19, 14:58:

Are all stock S478 coolers made by Sanyo Denki btw?

NVM I think I was able to answer this question on my own.

Nidec Corp.jpg
Filename
Nidec Corp.jpg
File size
637.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The whole fan assembly is a bit different to the one PC Hoarder Patrol posted as well: larger fan blades and what I think is a thermistor to regulate fan speed based on air temperature.
The heatsink itself looks identical.

Reply 15 of 15, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 3 versions of P4 stock coolers.
1) Horisontal ribs, no copper plate.

HPIM1922.JPG
Filename
HPIM1922.JPG
File size
1000.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
HPIM1923.JPG
Filename
HPIM1923.JPG
File size
1019.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

2) The "X" version.
3) The "Orb" version.
IIRC Northwoods were shopped with 1st and 2nd designs, Prescotts with 2nd and 3rd designs...
There is 1 trouble. 2nd and 3rd coolers can't cool my P4 3.2 E (D0 revision). The 1st cooler can.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).