VOGONS

First post, by lutz79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys!
I have a problem with a "NEW" Olivetti M6 460 Suprema!
The computer works regularly, but i want to replace the original IDE hard disk with a new CF2IDE controller (with a 4gb compact flash).

With the bios default settings, the hard disk is not recognized. I have configured the hard disk settings in the bios, switching from "standard" to "deactivated" and booting the system with dos 6.22 floppy.
I used the utility "IDEINFO" to find the correct settings to use in the bios. But IDEINFO found incorrect settings, because it tells me a size of 2gb (and not 4gb).
Anyway i have tried to put these settings in the bios. I have switching from "deactivated" to "not standard", manually entering the settings indicates by IDEINFO.

The system detects an hard disk, but finds an error on the controller. And i can't partition it with fdisk.
Only once did it work, but the system only detected 512mb of size.

Is there a way to make the CF2IDE (with 4gb compact flash) work properly on Olivetti M6 460 Suprema?

Thanks to all!

Reply 5 of 8, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, possibly maximum disk size on the onboard controller is ~508MB. You'd need to add a separate controller card with a separate bios to make it work. The other option would using overlay software but that is a can of worms I rather not open.

Reply 6 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I was going to say your probably have a 500MB limit.
Drive overlay is actually pretty easy, it's how I got round the same problem on my 486, plus it's free!
https://youtu.be/sI7U9LYbt28

If you don't like it or it doesn't work that's when I'd start spending money on hardware solutions like XT-IDE or a newer controller card

Reply 7 of 8, by lutz79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-04-08, 10:26:
Yeh I was going to say your probably have a 500MB limit. Drive overlay is actually pretty easy, it's how I got round the same p […]
Show full quote

Yeh I was going to say your probably have a 500MB limit.
Drive overlay is actually pretty easy, it's how I got round the same problem on my 486, plus it's free!
https://youtu.be/sI7U9LYbt28

If you don't like it or it doesn't work that's when I'd start spending money on hardware solutions like XT-IDE or a newer controller card

Thanks!
I have tried to following the procedure. The bios don't accept any configurations suggested by ontrack. The hard drive is detected, but i received an error: "1790 disk error". Anyway, after booting Ontrack finds regularly my hard drive. The partitions are created, and at reboot i'm able to install dos 6.22 with the boot floppy created by ontrack. Ontrack succeeds to install his software on hard drive.
The problem is that at first boot without floppy, the computer does not boot from the hard drive.

I cant' find the correct configuration for the hard drive in the bios. Any suggest? Thanks!