VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see that a Roland LAPC-I is currently on ebay for 250Euro 😳

But where are all the other great old ISA soundcards, such as top-of-the-range Ensoniq and GUS cards, which were released approximately 6 years after this Roland model?

Are they all 😵 ?

Reply 1 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you are aware that this forum is actually for emulation of old pcs and old pc hardware ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Milliways?
Milliways

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 20, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:

you are aware that this forum is actually for emulation of old pcs and old pc hardware ?

I have often thought that for a forum for the "emulation" of old PC hardware, it is almost exclusively used for how to get old PC hardware working, which is the best hardware, how compatible it is. The actual emulation is rarely discussed and most would not really be able to contribute to such a discussion.

Reply 6 of 20, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I personally misinterpreted the forum description to mean:

Emulation of old PCs
PC hardware
PC peripherals

rather than the intended:

Emulation of old PCs
Emulation of old PC hardware
Emulation of old PC peripherals

It does seem that a dedicated forum related to old PCs and hardware would be useful here, since hardware issues are a big part of getting older games to work on newer systems. A big part of my challenges arise from the almost unavoidable mixing of PC, hardware, OS, and games that all come from different time periods.

I suggest a new forum be created dedicated to old PCs and hardware, and propose the name Marvin.

Cheers!

Reply 9 of 20, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Freddo wrote:

I use a Soundblaster 16 ISA + Yamaha XG50 daughterboard in my DOS computer. 100% compatibility and arguably the best MIDI possible. Works wonderfully.

Nothing beats the SCC-1 for GM midi since most stuff was made for the Roland Sound Canvas 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 10 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Yamaha DB is a great add-on card - glad you like it!! 😀 I have mine attached to an old non-PnP AWE32.

I was very lucky the other day - I got my first scb-55! 😁

Amigaz, do you have an scc-1b? Is that the sound card which is the same (sonically speaking) as the scb-55 daughterboard?

I love listening to the 6 demo tunes which come with the scc-1 utility setup software! 😀

Reply 11 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
crash. wrote:
I personally misinterpreted the forum description to mean: […]
Show full quote

I personally misinterpreted the forum description to mean:

Emulation of old PCs
PC hardware
PC peripherals

rather than the intended:

Emulation of old PCs
Emulation of old PC hardware
Emulation of old PC peripherals

It does seem that a dedicated forum related to old PCs and hardware would be useful here, since hardware issues are a big part of getting older games to work on newer systems. A big part of my challenges arise from the almost unavoidable mixing of PC, hardware, OS, and games that all come from different time periods.

I suggest a new forum be created dedicated to old PCs and hardware, and propose the name Marvin.

Cheers!

I'll consider it. Or renaming this one.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:
Qbix wrote:

I have often thought that for a forum for the "emulation" of old PC hardware, it is almost exclusively used for how to get old PC hardware working,

Couldn't agree more. Most threads here are about the hardware itself instead of emulating them. It seems more people (including myself) are interested in how to get old hardware working instead of emulating old PC hardware. When was the last time we discussed about emulating Rendition Verite chip, for instance?

Qbix wrote:

Cheers!

I'll go for the latter if I were you; this forum is already full of hardware threads anyway.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14 of 20, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Most threads here are about the hardware itself instead of emulating them. It seems more people (including […]
Show full quote
Great Hierophant wrote:
Qbix wrote:

I have often thought that for a forum for the "emulation" of old PC hardware, it is almost exclusively used for how to get old PC hardware working,

Couldn't agree more. Most threads here are about the hardware itself instead of emulating them. It seems more people (including myself) are interested in how to get old hardware working instead of emulating old PC hardware. When was the last time we discussed about emulating Rendition Verite chip, for instance?

Qbix wrote:

Cheers!

I'll go for the latter if I were you; this forum is already full of hardware threads anyway.

Nothing beats the real thing 😉

I personally only use emulation to try things out......running games on authentic hardware made to run the software feels more authentic

There's lots of people here with vast knowledge in old hardware so I'm very grateful that I can get help here since I didn't even own a PC until year 2000 so I missed the whole DOS game era 😜

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 15 of 20, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the emulation of old PCs vs. ancient PC hardware issue: It's obvious that this forum section was meant for emulation topics rather than discussing about real legacy PC hardware, but the latter subject got predominant here. It's easy to see why: Just enter some specific legacy hardware search terms into Google, and a VOGONS thread will come up on the first results page, often being the only one with relevant information.

VOGONS has (most likely unintentionally) become one of the best forums available concerning old PC hardware. I'm well aware that setting up a separate section for this stuff means a lot of work for the maintainers, but it would be a really nice solution.

Reply 16 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We've been discussing it in the moderators forum. Should be coming soon. (soon being relative of course)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm, I wonder what will be left to discuss if this particular forum is strictly set for discussing emulation of old pcs and old pc hardware. We already have this and this for discussing 3dfx Voodoo emulation, this for discussing MT-32 emulation, and this for discussing a 386 family CPU emulator which has its own particular, quite familiar shell 😉 , and I doubt we'll discuss about emulating Rendition Verite hardware really soon.

Just my US $0.02.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 18 of 20, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Shouldn't emulation of old pc be restricted to Dosbox, Virtual Pc, etc.?
I think just renaming this forum by removing the word "emulation" from the title of this thread would be more appropriate. Even I was thinking that we discuss only the actual hardware in this section.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers