VOGONS

First post, by dfreer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been trying to get this game working for a couple days now, no dice and google has failed me. The game starts up correctly in DosBox 0.73, but the intro runs too fast (slowing down to about 350 cycles seems to work ok).

Once I hit a key to start the game, it will start to show the full screen (picture of the living room, with 8 panel action list on the right, bottom of screen containing flavor text describing the current room). After about a second with no user input, all graphics will disappear and I'm left with just the text description.

The game continues to run, as I can move from room to room using the text parser, but not being able to see the room/use the mouse to pick up items makes the game unplayable. Can anyone please help me get this game running?

MobyGames Link

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try changing machine= in dosbox.conf

Try these one by one:
hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly,

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by dfreer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Try changing machine= in dosbox.conf

Try these one by one:
hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly,

I have tried each one of these, with all the same results (other than hercules which displays nothing at all but produces sound). Any other suggestions?

Reply 4 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's a bug in the DOS conversion of the game that isn't present in the original booter. When you press enter at an empty command prompt, it switches between full-screen text and mixed graphics/text. Just press space or some key other than enter to clear the intro screen. You can always press enter to toggle between the views, regardless. The bug is caused by the conversion seeing that a key has been pressed during the intro, but not actually reading the key, so it gets read later.

EDIT: This 1986 game supports a serial mouse, but not the PS/2-style mouse that DOSBox emulates. I think there is a way to use directserial and a real serial mouse, but not sure if it will work.

Reply 5 of 9, by dfreer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

It's a bug in the DOS conversion of the game that isn't present in the original booter. When you press enter at an empty command prompt, it switches between full-screen text and mixed graphics/text. Just press space or some key other than enter to clear the intro screen. You can always press enter to toggle between the views, regardless. The bug is caused by the conversion seeing that a key has been pressed during the intro, but not actually reading the key, so it gets read later.

EDIT: This 1986 game supports a serial mouse, but not the PS/2-style mouse that DOSBox emulates. I think there is a way to use directserial and a real serial mouse, but not sure if it will work.

WOW That is indeed the problem! Can't believe that all along it was something so simple.

I've now noticed the mouse problems as well. I don't believe I still own my old serial mouse, I really hope there is another solution. But the graphics really were the main thing at least I can play the game now 😁

Reply 6 of 9, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

This 1986 game supports a serial mouse, but not the PS/2-style mouse that DOSBox emulates. I think there is a way to use directserial and a real serial mouse, but not sure if it will work.

It works. You have to connect serial mouse to your com after windows has completely booted, so that it won't install drivers for this mouse.

[serial]
serial1=directserial realport:COM1 irq:4

By the way - serial mouse is very delayed in dosbox in every game/program.

Reply 7 of 9, by garrynichol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:
It works. You have to connect serial mouse to your com after windows has completely booted, so that it won't install drivers for […]
Show full quote
ripsaw8080 wrote:

This 1986 game supports a serial mouse, but not the PS/2-style mouse that DOSBox emulates. I think there is a way to use directserial and a real serial mouse, but not sure if it will work.

It works. You have to connect serial mouse to your com after windows has completely booted, so that it won't install drivers for this mouse.

[serial]
serial1=directserial realport:COM1 irq:4

By the way - serial mouse is very delayed in dosbox in every game/program.

All I did was set the windows drivers to disable in device manager (your windows mouse won't work after that)
Also run your serial mouse driver in dosbox.config or your dosbax autoexec.bat. Then your serial mouse should work in dosbox.
I still didn't see any improvement in the mouse response though.

Reply 8 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OT but this game was released originally for the Apple. There are also C64 and Amiga versions.

Might be worth checking them out? Maybe one of the other versions is superior?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel