VOGONS

Reply 100 of 115, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2022-08-24, 01:29:

CTMOUSE is great, but I ran into problems loading Overlord with it.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/overlord-

What was the exact problem and what version of CTMOUSE dit you use? I just tried the game with CTMOUSE version 2.1 beta4 and had no problems at all. Still looking for the first game that doesn't work with this driver so had to try it. 😜

Reply 101 of 115, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it was from the 1.9 series on Freedos. Can't tell you for sure which game version it was.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 105 of 115, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had my problem with cd drivers...
On my oldest working PC (Compaq Prolinea 5120), VIDECDD.SYS works just fine with the old Sony 4x CD-ROM.

My other two older DOS/Win98 retro systeme are Super Socket 7, with more modern DVD-drives.
Everrything was working except CD audio. Tried three other sound cards, but still the same problem (only on DOS)
No it was the CD driver all the time.

I also tested a smaller replacement for mscdex (SHSUCDX), but at least one game was incompatible. Armored Fist 2, one of my favorites.^^
I recommend keeping mscdex , and using MTMCDAI.SYS as the CD driver. Of course, no optimization in memory, but the highest compatibility, at least for all my games.
If you should have any problems with the cd audio, you can test it:
https://www.file-upload.net/download-15106775 … TMCDAI.SYS.html

Reply 106 of 115, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For CD audio usually you need the cable directly from DVD to sound card. At least is waht i use in older systems.

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 107 of 115, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yoghoo wrote on 2022-08-24, 13:45:

What was the exact problem and what version of CTMOUSE dit you use? I just tried the game with CTMOUSE version 2.1 beta4 and had no problems at all. Still looking for the first game that doesn't work with this driver so had to try it. 😜

Have you tried Delphine adventure games such as Cruise for a Corpse, Future Wars, etc. ? CTMOUSE just caused the cursor to fly to the side of the screen for me in these games.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 108 of 115, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red_avatar wrote on 2023-04-03, 10:58:
Yoghoo wrote on 2022-08-24, 13:45:

Have you tried Delphine adventure games such as Cruise for a Corpse, Future Wars, etc. ? CTMOUSE just caused the cursor to fly to the side of the screen for me in these games.

EDIT:
Just tested it with Cruise for a Corpse and no problems here with CTMOUSE version 2.1 beta4. This is on a 486/66 with Dos 6.22 and Qemm 9.0 EMM386.

Also tested it on a 386DX/25 with Dos 5.0 and Qemm 9.0 without problems

Reply 109 of 115, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For CD audio usually you need the cable directly from DVD to sound card. At least is waht i use in older systems.

Sure. All my old systeme need the cd audio cable, because there is no Digital Audio option in Windows.
So the cable was there. CD audio an music CD worked fine in Windows, but no CD music of any kind on DOS.
Yeah, so wrong mixer settings? Nope, CD audio was on, still no music.
I randomly tested other cd drivers, and there was the solution.

Edit:
I have a similar problem with ctmouse. Version 2.0a4 works for me, but a newer version causes problems.
Siedler 2 (Settlers II) ->The entire pc freezes in the game start screen. I don't know why, but everything works again with the older ctmouse version.

Reply 110 of 115, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nuno14272 wrote on 2023-04-03, 10:17:

It depends on CD player program.
In late 90's I had used a player that works via IDE interface and doesn't requite analog cable between drive and sound card even under DOS.
BTW it's a good subject for Saturday evening software archaeology. I'm gonna look for it.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 100%
Virus check complete. All viruses are working properly.

Reply 111 of 115, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
froller wrote on 2023-04-08, 00:24:
It depends on CD player program. In late 90's I had used a player that works via IDE interface and doesn't requite analog cable […]
Show full quote
nuno14272 wrote on 2023-04-03, 10:17:

It depends on CD player program.
In late 90's I had used a player that works via IDE interface and doesn't requite analog cable between drive and sound card even under DOS.
BTW it's a good subject for Saturday evening software archaeology. I'm gonna look for it.

MPXPlay can do digital audio extraction, but most DOS games just use analog audio.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 114 of 115, by insanitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suggest that you boot the CD-ROM GOD floppy disk, find out which drivers work with your CD-ROM (there will be several, if the one from OAK works for you) and use the one that is the most memory efficient.

If that disk doesn’t work with your CD-ROM then your CD-ROM is broken or no driver for it exists.

That disk has 50 CD-ROM drivers on it. Or, was it 70? I don’t remember.

EDIT: It’s 50, not 70.

https://archive.org/details/cdgod55_exe

This is version 5.5. I might have a later version but I’d have to look.

When I go, the smiles and the laughs go with me.

Reply 115 of 115, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use the teac driver just because it lets you reduce the cd rom speed. Old games tend to read often and high speed CD Roms are disturbingly loud. Maybe not optimal memory wise but it works for me.