3D Realms Anthology 32 Games

Topic actions

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50/

Someone bight the bullet to see which ones are coming with DOSBox.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought it and made a short video review!

http://youtu.be/thzgfPfzoa0

- All games use DOSBox (apart from one DN Manhattan Project)
- DRM free
- Pretty good launched with easy access to manuals
- DOSBox not ideally configured
- Installs into program folder by default (a pain to edit CONF files)

Reply 4 of 29, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most (maybe) all these games are available on GOG. This is probably a better deal than getting them separate. I guess would have rather seen them make a bundle deal on GOG. That, and the GOG releases are (or will be in some cases) cross-platform.

This does make the batch easier to install, at least until GOG releases their Galaxy GUI.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 5 of 29, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing that's bugging me since this was put up is that many of their really old titles, like the Kroz series of games, are now completely missing. I sent them an eMail yesterday asking about them so hopefully I'll get a response that they'll bring 'em back or something. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course, a bunch of these are already freeware (really freeware, not just it's-old-so-I'm-saying-it's-free not-freeware):
Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry
Bio Menace
Death Rally (Windows port)
Major Stryker
Stargunner

Reply 7 of 29, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

They don't seem to take paypal, so can't check it out.
According to the contact details, they are now located in Denmark.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 29, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I see this as a great opportunity for anyone that couldn't buy these games back in the day, just pay $19.99 and you're set 😀 . Too bad I already own most of them, and the few I don't have I'm not interested in at all 😦

Edit: I would love to see Epic Games release their old games catalog in this manner. I believe they would do very well with an offer like this.

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2014-10-24, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing that really annoys me with some GOG.com releases is that they don't ship with DOSBox. Not a big deal for most, bit for me I always prefer DOSBox because:

- I know exactly how to tweak it
- I can play it on my retro PC
- I can play it with all the cool MIDI options

GOG.com doesn't tell you if a game uses DOSBox, ScummVM or something else.

Reply 11 of 29, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought it mainly for the remix tracks, but the composer seems to think that metal is the only genre of music.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 12 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the future is just cashing on their legacy ad nauseam then color me uninterested.

What's worrying is that the shareware versions of most of these games are being more obscured to access as well. Would be nice for officially "convenient" versions of those, because after all, it's what made that company what it (once) was.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 29, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure what I make of this release. The price is [now] showing as $20 being time limited and is 50% of normal when I'm sure it was just $20 when I first visited the site.

It's probably good value at $20 but let's face it, they're old games and unlikely to be 1st time purchases for many. If they are they're unlikely to get many accolades [15-20 years after release]. I accept that philscomputerlab use case and comments are valid and will apply to a number of prospective buyers.

I also dislike the marking graphics for this release and their new logo for that matter. It's all a bit 'rounded', cartoony, 2 dimensional and amateurish. ROTT 2013 was a good stab at a remake but their company went down the toilet for me when they teased a new Duke... then back-pedalled rapidly when lawyers got involved.

Reply 14 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I bought it mainly for the remix tracks, but the composer seems to think that metal is the only genre of music.

Being a metal composer, it's no surprise I guess?

I agree though, some full on* symphonic arrangements would have been well received.

* not "full no". You idiot, SquallStrife!! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 16 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So yep, as I expected, any games that use PC speaker for sound effects (Duke Nukem 1, Keen 1-3, Secret Agent, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, etc) sound awful because of vanilla DOSBox.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 19 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh, I already own all the games I would want basically already in their original forms. I don't want anything to do with companies trying to make a quick buck reselling the same games from 20 years ago.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!