VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not at all trying to come across as rude, but $600 is still very much "entry level bottom end" for lots of modern, brand-new, audio equipment at retail (especially if dealing with a "boutique" or "audiophile" manufacturer). I'm not saying things should be that way, and there's certainly still gems out there that don't cost as much as a BMW, but they're not dime a dozen. A lot of the receivers, amplifiers, etc that folks revere in the vintage communities tended to have fairly high price-tags (many hundreds to many thousands) in the 1970s or 1980s, which would translate to MUCH higher prices today (due to inflation). And indeed, a quality amplifier these days will carry such an equally high price-tag (and that's what I'm meaning when I say "good equipment"). Unfortunately, unlike computers, newer and smaller does not often equal better. For most folks, spending $10,000+ on a stereo isn't feasible, and that's where used equipment is a fantastic value proposition, especially flagship AV receivers which tend to depreciate much more rapidly than "stereo" (2 channel) equipment, despite offering amplifier and preamplifier sections that are, in many cases, absolutely exceptional. 😀

Also, there is no "W RMS" or "RMS power" - it isn't a thing beyond marketing. See here: http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/misc/rmspower.htm and here: http://sound.westhost.com/power.htm for a detailed explanation.

Reply 21 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

Not at all trying to come across as rude, but $600 is still very much "entry level bottom end" for lots of modern, brand-new, audio equipment at retail (especially if dealing with a "boutique" or "audiophile" manufacturer). I'm not saying things should be that way, and there's certainly still gems out there that don't cost as much as a BMW, but they're not dime a dozen. A lot of the receivers, amplifiers, etc that folks revere in the vintage communities tended to have fairly high price-tags (many hundreds to many thousands) in the 1970s or 1980s, which would translate to MUCH higher prices today (due to inflation). And indeed, a quality amplifier these days will carry such an equally high price-tag (and that's what I'm meaning when I say "good equipment"). Unfortunately, unlike computers, newer and smaller does not often equal better. For most folks, spending $10,000+ on a stereo isn't feasible, and that's where used equipment is a fantastic value proposition, especially flagship AV receivers which tend to depreciate much more rapidly than "stereo" (2 channel) equipment, despite offering amplifier and preamplifier sections that are, in many cases, absolutely exceptional. 😀

Also, there is no "W RMS" or "RMS power" - it isn't a thing beyond marketing. See here: http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/misc/rmspower.htm and here: http://sound.westhost.com/power.htm for a detailed explanation.

Old audio gear is my other big interest so I know very well how expensive high end stuff used to be (and still can be).

I have loads of old receivers, integrated amplifiers, pre amplifiers and power amps, they tend to transform alot of electricity to heat though, thats why I went with the Class-D amp and now use the micro system with my main rig. You often get alot of "sound quality" for your money when going with Class-D amps as they are less expensive to build compared to class AB or Class A amps.

I can post some pics later.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 22 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Old audio gear is my other big interest so I know very well how expensive high end stuff used to be (and still can be).

Always nice to bump into fellow audio enthusiasts. 😀

You often get alot of "sound quality" for your money when going with Class-D amps as they are less expensive to build compared to class AB or Class A amps.

If you believe switching amplifiers to be inherently capable of "good sound" that is... 😊

Reply 23 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:
Always nice to bump into fellow audio enthusiasts. :happy: […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Always nice to bump into fellow audio enthusiasts. 😀

You often get alot of "sound quality" for your money when going with Class-D amps as they are less expensive to build compared to class AB or Class A amps.

If you believe switching amplifiers to be inherently capable of "good sound" that is... 😊

They just have to switch fast enough 😉
Its not optimal but the difference in power usage is staggering.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 24 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yeah for sure - the efficiency is very good, especially if they use a switching PSU of some sort. That said, every switching amplifier I've ever heard (which is more than a few) has more background noise than I'd personally like to deal with for sensitive speakers, but otoh you don't need 5000wpc for sensitive speakers, so that kind of works itself out. 🤣

Reply 25 of 50, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Nice to see another vintage audiophile! 😀

Skyscraper wrote:

I have loads of old receivers, integrated amplifiers, pre amplifiers and power amps, they tend to transform alot of electricity to heat though, thats why I went with the Class-D amp and now use the micro system with my main rig. You often get alot of "sound quality" for your money when going with Class-D amps as they are less expensive to build compared to class AB or Class A amps.

Of course, it depends on which class D amps we're talking about. 😉

Skyscraper wrote:

I can post some pics later.

Please do so. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 26 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Digging the units out of the mess is quite a task 😜

Here is a JVC 5020U, its not very fancy but not very common either. At least its from the golden age.

JVC5020U.jpg

Reply 27 of 50, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Digging the units out of the mess is quite a task 😜

Here is a JVC 5020U, its not very fancy but not very common either. At least its from the golden age.

I think it's pretty fancy, and certainly very uncommon! I happen to have one just like that, a JVC 5010U.
On the inside it's even more interesting. It uses a single-sided power supply, all-NPN output stage, no speaker protection, wires and pulleys to turn the radio dial, etc... All sorts of 60's stuff only used in the short transition stage from tubes to solid state. Just before the "golden age" 😉

Looking cool is what it does best though. Sound-wise it's far from perfect, but it has it's own unique sound that's quite different from any other amplifier.

Reply 28 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Looking cool is what it does best though.

It's a JVC woodie; that's kind of the point I thought. 🤣 😎

Really - very nice looking receiver there skyscraper! I honestly didn't know they were using the "SEA" branding that long ago either. 😊

Reply 29 of 50, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a pic of my 5010:

eaW8pZJ.jpg

There's a four-channel version of this receiver too. Look up the JVC 4VR-5445 😉

My friend, who is into quadrophonic sound, has one of these:

SplzqDf.jpg

The JVC 4VN-990.
This one has a very interesting design. The whole circuit is split up into small cards, about 10 in total, which plug into slots on a "mainboard".. Pretty much like in a PC! 😀

Reply 30 of 50, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Yamaha identical to that one. 🤣 You guys are making me want to go dig through my attic to find out exactly what I have again. 😜

Do any of you guys use your old computers as Audio CD players? 🤣 I love using my Packard Bell to play audio CD's it just sounds AMAZINGLY CLEAR.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 31 of 50, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was gonna get a nice 80's receiver and tape deck at the transfer station but the guys said no. 🙁

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 32 of 50, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ahendricks18 wrote:

I was gonna get a nice 80's receiver and tape deck at the transfer station but the guys said no. 🙁

Awww. 70's is better anyways.

DFIuDKk.jpg

I really need to hook one of my vintage rigs up to this thing some time.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 33 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to dig out another toy 😀

The golden age for sure was the 70s but some nice stuff was made in the 80s and 90s aswell.
This is my favourite power amp, the ADCOM GFA-6000. Its a clean sounding unit with almost unlimited power delivery.

Its a 5 channel unit rated 3*100w + 2*60w RMS @8 ohm but the rating dosnt tell the whole story. The unit can take 1440W from the mains and the transformer is almost as large as a turntable. I have used it as a 2 channel system but perhaps I will use it as a multichannel system when I get my hands on a nice multi channel pre amp that supports something more fancy than dolby surround.

adcomgfa60001.jpg

adcomgfa60002.jpg

adcomgfa60003.jpg

Here is a picture of the pre amp, the ADCOM GTP-550.

adcomgtp550.jpg

Reply 34 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Do any of you guys use your old computers as Audio CD players? 🤣 I love using my Packard Bell to play audio CD's it just sounds AMAZINGLY CLEAR.

CDs? No; I loathe handling CDs. But DVDs? Absolutely. 😊

Skyscraper: That's a nice duo there. I'd personally just leave it as-is, but then I've never really been taken with surround sound. Pro Logic/Dolby Surround is a perfectly acceptable "stepping off point" for surround imho. 😊 If the Adcom takes 5.1 in (I'm unsure of the function of "Discrete 5.1 Adapter"), hook up whatever soundcard that you have that does 4.0 or 5.1 output and it should be good for gaming though. 😎

Reply 35 of 50, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use my SCPH-1002 as a CD player.

I tell people it's because of the god-tier DAC it had, but really I just do it because it's in switch position 1 on my switch box, so when I power up my rig, it's "right there".

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 36 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

I use my SCPH-1002 as a CD player.

I tell people it's because of the god-tier DAC it had, but really I just do it because it's in switch position 1 on my switch box, so when I power up my rig, it's "right there".

Not to be "that guy" (and let me pre-qualify that I don't even believe in the nonsense I'm about to spout, nor do I really care): it's the SPCH-1001 that has the god-tier DAC/analog output and rivals $10,000 transports in terms of fidelity, quality, presence, yadda whatever. 😜 🤐

That having been said, I found a 1001 in a rummage bin some years ago and picked it up because my original PS1 had died (and I really didn't care - I have a PS2 that works just fine), and honestly I don't even know where to begin with the "it's the final word in sound quality" stuff that's been plastered all over the web about it. Compared to any of my audio/theater gear it sounds a little flat - like not in a "this has sonic character" way, but in a "this is cheap" way. It's perfectly functional as a CD player, and for something to have on in the background or as an "extra" ability of a game console it's snazzy, but it's an awful pain in the neck compared to something with buttons on the front imho (and yes, there have been folks who have modified their 1001s to add buttons, tubes, coffee makers; you name it, they've probably done it).

Of course, if you're trying to start a whole new era of "it's the final word in sound quality" about the 1002, don't let me stand in your way - 6moons articles are always at least fun to read. 🤣

Reply 37 of 50, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

Not to be "that guy" (and let me pre-qualify that I don't even believe in the nonsense I'm about to spout, nor do I really care): it's the SPCH-1001 that has the god-tier DAC/analog output and rivals $10,000 transports in terms of fidelity, quality, presence, yadda whatever. 😜 🤐

The 1002 is just the PAL version of the 1001. Same motherboard, just with the PAL crystal and BIOS.

Or so my "10-seconds-of-googling-when-I-bought-it" told me.

I couldn't care less, I have a gazillion things with CD players in em, and I sure as shit don't have the amp, the speakers, or the audiophile delusion to tell the difference. 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 38 of 50, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was waiting for Adcom gear to appear in this thread. Still want a GFA555, it'll be the last amp I ever have to buy given its specs. Right now I am running a mid-80s Marantz SR-940 with mid-90s cassette and CD player (the Technics SL-1300 turntable isn't hooked up). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxzRnjOt8NU

Its plenty loud for now, but those EPI 250speakers just swallow amplifier power without complaint. Being a 4 ohm speaker, they need a properly rated amp.

Reply 39 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

The 1002 is just the PAL version of the 1001. Same motherboard, just with the PAL crystal and BIOS.

Or so my "10-seconds-of-googling-when-I-bought-it" told me.

Oh I see. So it's elite audiophile magillicuddy for Europe. 🤣

I couldn't care less, I have a gazillion things with CD players in em, and I sure as shit don't have the amp, the speakers, or the audiophile delusion to tell the difference. 😉

Aye.