Dos gaming with 233mmx rig?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

a pentium (1) 233 mmx does not fit a SE440BX motherboard. So the confusion continues...

With a hammer you can get anything to 'fit'...though you'd need one hell of a hammer to fit a Pentium 1 MMX in there 😁

edit: Well...actually seeing as the MMX chip is a lot smaller, some duct tape or hot glue would do better in this case 😊

But anyway, Gerwin is right, P5 architecture (Pentium 1 including its s3 Overdrives) and P6 architecture (Pentium Pro, 2, 2 Overdrive and Pentium 3) is totally incompatible with each other

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 22, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Slot-Celeron 300a-433 is a pretty fine CPU for both DOS and W9x/3DFX.
Lots of DOS titles work directly under Win98.
For plain DOS you need to use slowdown utils.
I have to admit that "cpucache" slows down really sharp. For Biomenace it's ok, but Monster Bash is too slow when displaying the "splatter-effects"
I will have to check out different slowdown utils.
A CT4170 is buy far the best sound card for this, because every DOS/Windows title works with it. SoftMPU with MT32 behind does not have the hanging notes, but I will have to slow down and therefore I still have problems with the detection of the audio-driver in some DOS adventure games.

So still not perfect, BUT really nice and far better then K6-III+, because of the really good FPU in the PII (Celeron).

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines