VOGONS

Reply 40 of 42, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooh the extension looks like a really great addition to the design, how has that worked out for you so far? If you don't have one already, I'd like to help designing a housing for it?

You're getting it made up in ENIG rather than HASL? I made up some HardMPU midi cards in HASL a couple of years ago in hasl and sadly, the ISA connector is already showing some corrosion on the ISA connector.

Btw, for other dock types on the late pentium laptops like the 730CDT / 740XCDT, I think that possibly those could possibly work with the later docks if the later dock's SPI EEPROM is reflashed with the contents from an earlier dock type.

Reply 41 of 42, by dekkit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good points on making up the PCB with ENIG, it will definitely last longer.

That said i went with the cheaper option while prototyping and see how long it lasts but ill add that note to the github notes.

They are pretty quick to make as a cheap diy, so easily replaced worst case.

The other discovery for version 2 is that using 0.8mm pcb thickness is much better.

The card was able to push deeperinto the socket. Where as using a 1.0mm thickness worked, but poked out a little (it was still nice and firm tho)

It was only an extra few dollars to get 1 x set of 0.8mm and 1x set of 1.0mm. The only disadvantage is that the 0.8mm is
bendable/flexible which is ok but might be less ideal for the vga, ps/2 sockets.

There could be merit mixing it up and using 0.8mm for the laptop socket side and then using 1.0mm for the vga ps/2 daughter pcb - but for simple build 0.8mm is the way to go.

I made a simple case cutting up perspex, drilling holes and using plastic pcb stand-off.

IMG-20220304-WA0000.jpg
Filename
IMG-20220304-WA0000.jpg
File size
280.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

While i still to run through a few more tests, im more than happy if you want to design a 3d printable case for others.

Let me know if it would help for me to make a larger pin 'sandwhich' footprint pcb to support other later models (using the same principles as this) with a idc connector footprint before i move onto my next projects.

dek