VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might be a long shot but if you own a ESR meter , can you check the Caps near the AGP socket, it could just be that the other cards have better filtering?

Also it might be worth a shot to try either a newer or an older bios and see if it makes any difference.

Its a very strange issue, I have had a board with a bad filter cap on the agp side of things causing havoc with some cards, but it was a once off thing and not specific to Nvidia cards only...

Reply 21 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm benching on another board currently, will definitely try the AOpen again later. I could even replace all the caps, although they all look great, Sanyo too, AOpen usually used Japanese caps.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 24, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Visually caps can be deceiving , not all of them bulge or leak, some dry out over time and look normal, till you test them with a ESR meter.

But it might not be that, its a very strange problem.

Reply 23 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I'm benching on another board currently, will definitely try the AOpen again later. I could even replace all the caps, although they all look great, Sanyo too, AOpen usually used Japanese caps.

It's 17 or 18 years old now (I'm guessing). That's a lot, even for top quality Japanese caps. All caps have a finite lifespan even if they're on a product that's NIB.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder