VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT: it's Radeon HD 7770 instead of 7700. Pardon the typo, it was a long day.

I'm building a system based on Biostar A780L3G mATX mobo, Athlon II X4 CPU, PowerColor AX7770 (Radeon HD 7700) GPU, and Sound Blaster Audigy 2. The components are shown on the following photo.

ToOnTyq.jpg
Primary components.

The PowerColor AX7770 is a dual-slot card... kind of. Since the motherboard is mATX, the Audigy 2 blocked the card's fan. But not entirely. There is small slit, probably 3 mm or 4 mm, between the Radeon HD 7700 and the Audigy 2. The slit is quite large. From the photo below, the mobo is visible through the slit.

GJTVnwU.jpg
The Radeon HD 7700 and the Sound Blaster Audigy 2. Note the slit, which probably allows some air.

C5HJY7B.jpg
The Radeon HD 7700 and the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 when installed on the mobo without the sound card.

It should be noted that the PowerColor AX7770 is not a close air duct GPU. So it is unlike typical dual-slot GPU, which has close duct GPU, whose fan sucks air into its air duct and then blows it to the rear of the computer. The airduct is pretty much open, which lots of space to allow airflow.

V1iV0VB.jpg

eW2JMkX.jpg

Cb29eou.jpg

So, based on conditions above, is it okay to have the Audigy 2 (somewhat) blocking the GPU fan? I need the Audigy 2 to test if I could use Virtual Audio Cable to channel the Audigy 2's multi-channel analog output to the Radeon HD 7700's HDMI output. If that's the case, then I could have uncompressed multi-channel PCM from EAX games processed by my receiver's Yamaha CinemaDSP.

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2017-05-29, 14:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 4, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have a simple radial heatsink on that 7770.
Fan blows air down on it and it spreads through fins and pcb (cooling them).
Problem is : Can gpu get enough cool air to keep vrm and other stuff under critical temp value.
Because having places where air can get in is only half story.
You need a cold air to actually cool anything.
Also, GPU will get heated by this - true, but GPU will heat up Audigy 2 as well.
I think you should be ok as long as you force cold air from outside on that gap (with side fan).

157143230295.png

Reply 2 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:
You have a simple radial heatsink on that 7770. Fan blows air down on it and it spreads through fins and pcb (cooling them). Pro […]
Show full quote

You have a simple radial heatsink on that 7770.
Fan blows air down on it and it spreads through fins and pcb (cooling them).
Problem is : Can gpu get enough cool air to keep vrm and other stuff under critical temp value.
Because having places where air can get in is only half story.
You need a cold air to actually cool anything.
Also, GPU will get heated by this - true, but GPU will heat up Audigy 2 as well.
I think you should be ok as long as you force cold air from outside on that gap (with side fan).

Ah, the case itself will be well-ventilated, with well-placed fan. So I guess I'd be okay, no?

Also, I checked wiki again. A Radeon HD 7770 has max TDP of 80 watt; about half the HD 7870. I guess I'd be fine, huh?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 4, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One way to find out - turn it on and check the temps.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:

One way to find out - turn it on and check the temps.

That's what I was going to say,
Give it a few tests with speedfan or whatever software you prefer and see if your happy with the results.