VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did... I had a Geforce GTX280 in this compact Dell minitower. It worked, but even getting it in was a pain & it essentially divided the case in two, blocking airflow. Not "nice."

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
247.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
182.61 KiB
Views
File license

^^ there wasn't even enough room to disconnect the PCIe connector, I had to unscrew the card and angle it backwards in its slot before I could do anything.

The video card on its own has almost the same footprint as the case!

7.jpg
Filename
7.jpg
File size
147.58 KiB
Views
File license

I hate these things, why do they make them so freaking big??

So here's its replacement, a GTX750TI 2GB. In addition to being a nice performance boost (somewhat overpowered for this system actually) it's significantly cooler, quieter, and just plain fits better. It doesn't even use an external power connector. Definitely an improvement.

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
203.42 KiB
Views
File license
6.jpg
Filename
6.jpg
File size
221.39 KiB
Views
File license

I guess these have hit the bottom of their depreciation curve already. I paid about 1/10th of what this 3-year-old card cost new. It's not nosebleedingly-high-end for its time like the 280 was but seems like really good value for a basic gaming machine.

Incidentally, the rest of the hardware is a C2Q Q9300 on a Foxconn DG33M03 with 2GB of RAM and now the same amount of VRAM. 😎 (But I have 8GB for it in my office that I haven't remembered to bring home.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 3, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BTW for future reference, here's what the stupid PCIe retention clip on a Foxconn DG33M03 looks like since I couldn't find a decent photo of it on the internet. It was IMPOSSIBLE to see or reach behind the 280 and I basically had to pry it off with a jeweller's screwdriver. Whoever designed this system needs to be shot. Out of a cannon. Possibly into the sun.

11.jpg
Filename
11.jpg
File size
291.91 KiB
Views
File license
12.jpg
Filename
12.jpg
File size
295.08 KiB
Views
File license
10.jpg
Filename
10.jpg
File size
226.28 KiB
Views
File license

Yeeeeesh.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I feel you on the stupid design of the PCIe retention clips. There has got to be a better way. The other type where you have to push down towards the motherboard is just as bad when you have a card installed in the next slot.

The being said, the reason the cards are that long is because the cooler needs to be able to cool the GPU properly. And the stock coolers are not that great of a design but the do vent the heat out the back of the computer.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK